Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Food Stamps Restriction

Options

Replies

• Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    1. Here in Virginia, the SNAP card is the same card that some gov't employees get their wages on and the same card that child support payments are deposited to. Just because you see someone using a "food stamp" card, doesn't mean they're on government assistance.
    2. Personally, I don't think banning certain items would be beneficial. Most recipients are children- why shouldn't they be able to have a little Debbie snack cake in their lunch box? Or some soda after school?
    3. Anecdotally: I can't afford NOT to buy soda/cool aid/drink mixes. My kids will drink 4 gallons of milk and 2 gallons of OJ *every 3 days* if I don't. (And, yes, they do drink tap water.)

:o how many kids do you have

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    lizery wrote: »
    Australian here.

When I was young and homeless I was given the equivalent of food stamps on two occasions buy a non government charity organisation.

These could only be 'spent' on general grocery items (including 'junk food') but not on alcohol or cigarettes. Fair enough, huh?

A common scam at the time was for people to buy a couple of big items like giant coffee jars, then return them for cash and then go and buy what they really wanted ... smokes, grog, drugs.

I guess how this relates is that people who want something and have some sort of 'money' to use will find away around any regulations or limits to trade for what they want.

Now they are trialing quarantining of welfare in some areas.

They originally trial it in troubled indigenous communities. Nanny state and racist much?

Here the problem is drug use though, not soft drink. They government will drug test welfare recipients.

Test positive and 80% of welfare will be only able to be spent on food/rent etc.

Test positive again, no welfare.

That all sounds well and good until the first cut off junkie starts breaking into houses to fund their adiction.

Digression, sure - but it's all government wanting to control assistance and the poor choices of the lower socioeconomic cohorts.

Was just reading about how it is also going to result in a massive increase in dealing - what easier way to access your drugs than sell them?
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    food stamps are too easy to get. I once got 200 per month just because I was a student in college and not working. it is too easy to manipulate the system and get them. I think they just need to be regulated more.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    In my state you can buy absolutely anything besides alcohol and cigarettes. Anything with a nutritional label on it qualifies. It is too easy to get them in my state. I have many friends on it who get 200 a month and are in school or who are not working but their husband does and they just lied on their application. WAYY too easy to take advantage of. I am all for food stamps for those who truly need it, but unfortunately many people 'work the system'.