MFP Poll -How many do their own lawns vs hiring someone?

Options

Replies

• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    pudgy1977 wrote: »
    I am too scared to hire it out. Dont trust others touching my lawn

You do have to do a background check and health screening first, that makes it less scary. While you're at it you may want to check their credit score.

I kind of feel like you should be my personal life advisor

I am open to that but I feel I should put a disclaimer in there somewhere.
  • jordyngiulio
    jordyngiulio Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I do it myself and love it!! I think it's nice to be out there working on the yard plus I'm a real cheapskate.
  • pudgy1977
    pudgy1977 Posts: 13,499 Member
    Options

You do have to do a background check and health screening first, that makes it less scary. While you're at it you may want to check their credit score.

Oh...don't worry...I never read the fine print. Too tedious
  • RunHardBeStrong
    Options

Oh...don't worry...I never read the fine print. Too tedious

:D Me either, I usually end up regretting that part.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I live on an acre but only have a small walled in courtyard in the backyard with grass...I live in New Mexico, so most people don't have huge plots of grass as it is incredibly expensive to water...I mow myself and it takes me about 10 minutes.

I try to keep up with the rest of the land as well, but sometimes the weeds and whatnot just get away from me and I have to hire some help with cleanup...
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I pay someone to come - he does every 2-3 weeks (depending on how the grass looks) - including additional weed spraying etc - it costs me $60 and I consider that money well spent
  • pudgy1977
    Options
    I pay someone to come - he does every 2-3 weeks (depending on how the grass looks) - including additional weed spraying etc - it costs me $60 and I consider that money well spent

The weeds are the worst part to deal with.
  • Renaissance_Turtle
    Renaissance_Turtle Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I was paying someone $35 every two weeks to mow mine. Could not do it myself with my back pain then. I could only make one or two laps with the mower before I felt like puking from the pain & that's while taking a narc to knock the edge off the pain. Dropped a bunch of weight doing keto & back pain got to the point where it was bearable even without pain meds. I no longer feel like puking when I stand up for more than 5 minutes. So I let the guy go & now I mow it myself to save the $70 a month to spend on car parts or whatever.
    Feels good to be able to mow my own yard again. Is it worth it to pay someone? Yeah, if you're busy with life it's not a bad thing.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    I was paying someone $35 every two weeks to mow mine. Could not do it myself with my back pain then. I could only make one or two laps with the mower before I felt like puking from the pain & that's while taking a narc to knock the edge off the pain. Dropped a bunch of weight doing keto & back pain got to the point where it was bearable even without pain meds. I no longer feel like puking when I stand up for more than 5 minutes. So I let the guy go & now I mow it myself to save the $70 a month to spend on car parts or whatever.
    Feels good to be able to mow my own yard again. Is it worth it to pay someone? Yeah, if you're busy with life it's not a bad thing.

So you attribute your improvement to Keto?
  • pudgy1977
    Options
    Since I do my own...does anyone have any good tips on dealing with the edging? I think that I need maybe a different piece of equipment than I am currently using. Kind of leaves it a bit rough
  • Renaissance_Turtle
    Renaissance_Turtle Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Partly. Some of it's the keto considering other joints in my body hurt less like my shoulders, but mostly it's the weight loss with my back. My back will never be without pain, I've just damaged it too much over the years. The weight just made it much more excruciating than it could have been.
  • pudgy1977
    Options
    beingmore1 wrote: »
    Are we talking back lawns?

I only have to deal with a front lawn
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Since I do my own...does anyone have any good tips on dealing with the edging? I think that I need maybe a different piece of equipment than I am currently using. Kind of leaves it a bit rough

You need an edger...
  • pudgy1977
    Options
    Maybe it is just time for me to hire a landscaper.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

You need an edger...

Some people like to edge everyday, is there a heavy duty edger available?
  • pudgy1977
    Options

I've heard on some cases the back lawn is thicker and more unruly than the front so I wondered who had to deal with that

I would definitely suggest hiring that out
  • RunHardBeStrong
    Options

I've heard on some cases the back lawn is thicker and more unruly than the front so I wondered who had to deal with that

Some people I know are super lucky and have a bare backyard.