649lbs and 3790 calories

Options
1235»

Replies

• bernadettenz
    bernadettenz Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Nothing to add. Just want to wish you all the best from way over here in New Zealand. You can do this!!
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your first steps on becoming healthy. Take it one day at a time.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options

the thing is, there is easy access to food pretty much everywhere these days... i just walked into the kitchen at work and there is a sponge cake on a table next to a note saying 'help yourself'... i didn't because it doesn't fit into my calories and macros for the day, but there is always 'temptation' around if you look at it that way.

It's all mindset and mine hasn't been the best. Every time lately when I go off I say to myself I don't want to be on a diet I want to eat this, and then I do.

I'm on my 5th day and lost another 3. Down 12lbs. I know I shouldn't be weighing myself everyday but it feels like trial and error this week :smile:

People who weigh themselves every day are more likely to stay on track. It's one habit that is easy, sets the tone and your focus for the day.
  • pitbull603
    pitbull603 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Does 3790 calories for a day seem like too much for a person of my size?

394lbs when i started my "life style" changes...ice cream and a pizza, yes, a pizza were my usual meals.
    When i got the ap i tried to eat the calories alotted for me and could never eat enough...
    I was always in a calorie deficit...
    Got stuck at 366lbs for awhile...
    Started lifting weights...cut cardio down to 20mins 2 days a week.
    Lost 6 more lbs in 30 days...
    So...
    I asked everyone...read everything...
    Found the keto diet...now down to 301 at last weigh in...Monday is my scheduled weight in...but
    Weight is not my worry anymore. I have been concentrating on measurements
    58 waist down to 44...way more definition in my upper body and legs...yes my gut is down but not where i want it.
    And i finally did 3 pull ups...and 10 dips...
    Have not been able to do that in a long long time.
    On keto i get to eat eggs and bacon!...lol
    And getting results...
    So i hope this helps...its not gonna happen over night and you wont notice a difference in youself for a long time...but...girls come talk to me at the gym now lol.
    So do guys..
    Ask me questions...
    Anyway...thats when you know its working...
    Lol
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    @spagano8888 lean on the MFP community for help and support! As you can see from the above, we don't always agree with each other -- but we are consistent in our support and in helping others find their way. I'm looking forward to following your progress.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,992 Member
    Options
    I get it, I do. But to get to 600 pounds, there is a significant disconnect in your brain between a normal amount of food and an obsessive, anxiety based behavior. Just give it some thought.

I also culpulsively eat. I eat and I don't stop, even when full. I don't know why I do it.

I understand this. I used to compulsively eat, too. For me food was a friend, and way to deal with the stresses of every day life. Sugar and breads and chips and cookies and ice cream and pie were like kryptonite for me. I had to stop buying the things I would binge/compulsively eat.

These days I make my decisions at the store.

I used to go to the kitchen any time I had any stress whatsoever. Guess where the stress came from? Inside my own head. Like @garber6th said, I knew it wasn't right, so I set out to figure out what was bothering me.

One thing you said earlier was that you were afraid to lose friends so you just went along with them on the drinking and eating escapades (or something to that effect.) I had to get to the point where I was not concerned with other people at all as far as how I looked at my food and alcohol intake. It doesn't matter how much food is in front of me, I still have to monitor my own intake. I stopped hanging around with people who tried to influence me to eat/drink in a way that made me uncomfortable. I put myself first in every situation. What people think of me is none of my business. My health is my business.

You've gotten some really insightful replies on this post. Keep it going! We're on your team. :)

• aggiepringle6665
    aggiepringle6665 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you are on a good track. Modify as needed and carry on!
    So glad you are here!
    Aggie
    SW 431
    CW 381
    GW 230ish
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Just chiming in with everyone else to cheer you on. I vote for starting with the doctor's calorie advice and modifying it upward if you feel it's unsustainable to eat that low. You'd probably lose weight on both--just a matter of how quickly it would come off. You might have other health risks your doctor is trying to avoid by having you lose faster than the MFP recommendation.

In my not-so-expert opinion, I'm of the mind that the early part of weight loss is simply building the habits of planning and managing your eating and understanding the calorie deficit. Focus on making progress, not perfection. Those eating habits are so hard to change and there are so many feelings baked in to why we overeat. On paper, weight loss is easy because it's just math. In real life, we all know it's much, much harder than that.

I wish you the best and hope to see you around!
  • jayjay_90
    jayjay_90 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I get it, I do. But to get to 600 pounds, there is a significant disconnect in your brain between a normal amount of food and an obsessive, anxiety based behavior. Just give it some thought.

I also culpulsively eat. I eat and I don't stop, even when full. I don't know why I do it.

Not going to mention much cause I think you've gotten some great advice from the folks above me but I couldn't help but notice this.

It will be important for your long term success to start thinking about why you're compelled to eat when you're not hungry. If possible, having someone to talk to about it (a therapist, if possible) or even just to start keeping a journal of your thoughts will help you gain clarity and ultimately help you stop that behaviour.

You're off to a great start by beginning to log and I wish you all the best of luck going forward! Emotional and compulsive eating is something that affects many and it's no walk in the park, that's for sure.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    there is a significant disconnect in your brain between a normal amount of food and an obsessive, anxiety based behavior. Just give it some thought.

This gave me a total illumination moment regarding my own food issues and behaviors. "Obsessive, anxiety-based behavior" is such an accurate and useful description, and it's a way for me to think about my behaviors in the moment that I think might help me stop them -- at least sometimes. It's a new tool in the kit. Thank you.

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,139 Member
    Options
    I have not read the whole thread, but when you get to weighing 300 or more, the data for calorie burns gets fuzzy. This is primarily because calorie burn information is based on putting a person in a room where all food intake and energy expenditure is carefully controlled allowing for actual measuring of the energy expenditure of the individual. They did many such measurements of many people and from the data developed the charts we have now based on the averages measured based on sex, age, height, weight, and the like. Thus, since there would be less people over 300 pounds, and maybe none in these studies over 400, the data is largely an extrapolation of what has been gathered from smaller people. Thus, it may or may not be accurate.

With the amount you have to lose, I am thinking 2000-2500 would be more than adequate, and you would lose fast. Since you have a lot of fat to lose, losing faster is not going to be an issue right now as you can burn a higher maximum of fat in a day than people who have less fat to lose. I would tend to go with the numbers you have gotten from professionals at this point largely to get yourself used to eating what would be a normal amount of food to likely support your body when you lose weight. If you want to go up to 3700 you will likely still lose, but it won't prepare you significantly for what you new normal will be.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,992 Member
    Options
    avskk wrote: »
    there is a significant disconnect in your brain between a normal amount of food and an obsessive, anxiety based behavior. Just give it some thought.

This gave me a total illumination moment regarding my own food issues and behaviors. "Obsessive, anxiety-based behavior" is such an accurate and useful description, and it's a way for me to think about my behaviors in the moment that I think might help me stop them -- at least sometimes. It's a new tool in the kit. Thank you.

You're welcome. Someone mentioned journaling above. When I was going through my weight loss and trying to get a grip on what happened, I would journal about my food compulsions.
    • What was going on just before?
    • What did I tell myself about that event that caused fear/reaction?
    • What did I eat?
    • How did that food make me feel afterward?
    • How could I better handle that emotion?

If it's a relationship problem, there's a lot of books and online resources. If it's money/finances, same. If it's loneliness, boredom, anger, fatigue - there are better solutions!

If it's actual hunger, maybe my calories are set too low or I'm eating too many carbs.