Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Flu shots? For them or against ?

Options

Replies

• PAGinger
    PAGinger Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I get one every year and have yet to get sick or experience any other problems. I couldn't tell you the last time I had an actual flu.
  • SpacyGrrl
    SpacyGrrl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wanna see what other people think about this topic.
    I for one am very neutral on it. Working in Healthcare I see if fit. However I also see negative effects of it.

What's your thoughts?

As a diabetic w/ heart disease and history of pneumonia, I do it. Every year. Also pneumo-vax, shingles-vax.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Took my wife to the doctor last week and finally had opportunity to discuss what I see in this thread. He confirmed that the Flu shot is available but not routinely given in our country. He doesn't recommend it for people under 65, unless they have immuno-deficiencies, or work in health care, or in the hospitality industry in contact with visitors from other countries.

Also said in countries like England and America it is recommended for everybody. I suppose many contributors to this discussion are from those bigger countries, and therefore have a different perspective to mine.
  • kolson111322
    kolson111322 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm getting the flu shot every year. I am immunocompromised and diabetic so my doctor makes me get it and the pneumonia vaccine every time the jabs come around. I'll take a jab or two over getting deathly sick any time. A person I new online died from complications of the flu--got pneumonia and died from it; it's a big wake up call.
  • BPRKEY
    BPRKEY Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I work in a hospital with immunocompromised patients so I get one every year. I also have asthma and the flu is a *kitten* when I get it. However, the vax doesn't always cover all strains every year. So I have gotten sick in years past. But I would be much sicker if I didn't get it. I've never had any significant problems from it.
  • laurabadams
    laurabadams Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I've gotten the flu shot every year for many, many years except for the late 2003/early 2004 season. And I got the flu that year, complete with laryngospasms that obstructed my airway for several terrifying seconds. I will never skip it again.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    My parents are very against immunisations. I have most of mine since I'm the oldest and they didn't really find out the negative side effects until I was older, but my sister and brother don't have many of theirs. Out of curiosity I did a lot of research on this topic a few years ago and decided I was definitely against it. I won't be getting any more unless it's absolutely necessary because I'm well aware of the negative side effects of them and really don't want the poisons injected into my body. :/

Dare I ask what the sources of your information were?
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,368 Member
    Options
    My parents are very against immunisations. I have most of mine since I'm the oldest and they didn't really find out the negative side effects until I was older, but my sister and brother don't have many of theirs. Out of curiosity I did a lot of research on this topic a few years ago and decided I was definitely against it. I won't be getting any more unless it's absolutely necessary because I'm well aware of the negative side effects of them and really don't want the poisons injected into my body. :/

Dare I ask what the sources of your information were?

Dr. Google, I'm sure...
  • Gyaltsen
    Gyaltsen Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Completely in favor of flu shots. I had the flu 15 years ago and the next year my husband and I got a flu shot. Neither my husband or I have had it since then, so every fall we are sure to get a flu shot.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

Darwinism at work...

Hmmmm so she might not get sick but she can pass it along to her siblings if she becomes a carrier....considering in adulthood so called children's ailments can be fatal I'd hate it if I were the typhoid Mary.

I'm guessing she missed this aspect in her extensive research.
  • jasummers76
    jasummers76 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have had two, got sick for a week after each. I am not against them as I do think older adults and younger children should get them. Along with anyone with a autoimmune issue
This discussion has been closed.