Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Flu shots? For them or against ?

Options

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    Options
    I think the dumb cause/correlation posts were on page 6 or so. Complete with charts, I'm sure.

At least that's the way most of these tinfoil hat threads go.
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    I am with teens in school hacking with respiratory infections for months on end. I get one, because even if it only offers some protection, I'll take it!! The only side effect I have is a bit of a sore arm.
  • ValleyHooper
    ValleyHooper Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    I've never had one and never plan to.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I am 45 years old and have never had the flu. With that said, I did bow to pressure two different times and got the flu shot and NEVER AGAIN! I have ulcerative colitis and it had been in remission for quite a while. However, after getting a flu shot, I experienced a UC flare and it took several months for my colon to calm down and me not have to look for a bathroom everywhere I went. Two years later, I got another shot, thinking the first time was a fluke. NO! Another flare ... I am not going for the trifecta.

So the short answer will be no, no flu shots ever again. I might consider the meningitis and pneumonia one when I get old and decrepit. The quirk with getting UC is that I did not catch a cold for 5-6 years. In every other way, I was healthy ... no stomach virus, no colds, no bacterial infections, nothing. Even my seasonal allergies calmed down. The immune system is a tricky beast!
  • Lin_marie11
    Lin_marie11 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    No flu shot for me this year. The one time I decided to get one I got the flu a few months later.
  • kassierodriguez1
    kassierodriguez1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Against. I have never gotten them. I have never had any shots. I have been around people with the flu. And have yet to get it. I'm very healthy
  • MaybeLed
    MaybeLed Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I've never eaten squid (because I can't stand the thought of it) and so far I've not had cancer. Therefore squid causes cancer.

Well I like deep fried crispy squid, and have never had cancer. Also had squid sashimi (didn't like it but ate it) So clearly only eating squid that has been poached causes cancer....
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    :smiley:
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    Against. I have never gotten them. I have never had any shots. I have been around people with the flu. And have yet to get it. I'm very healthy

200 dead in Washington
    47 dead in Idaho
    32 dead in North Carolina
    The list goes on and on.

But hey, at least you're healthy, even though you've exposed yourself tot he flu and are no doubt a transmission vector. You sure showed those ridiculous doctors how dumb they are!

@xmicahx your first link drives home how the flu risks mainly are for those near death before getting the flu and is the group the shots do not seem to work very well.

"The vast majority of this season’s deaths involved seniors with underlying conditions such as heart disease, respiratory disease and diabetes. Snohomish County reported the median age for its 36 flu-related deaths was 82 years old; all had underlying conditions, according to the Snohomish Health District."

It seems eating and moving in ways that prevent heart disease, respiratory disease and diabetes is perhaps the best way to prevent death while having the flu.

I do wish there was valid unbiased medical data on this subject but until that day comes this will be more of an emotional issue. Everyone who is free to make their own decision should do so.
  • crawfishgirl333
    crawfishgirl333 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I don't take the flu shot. I'm knocking on wood , don't usually get sick
  • GaleHawkins
    Options

200 dead in Washington
    47 dead in Idaho
    The list goes on and on.

But hey, at least you're healthy, even though you've exposed yourself tot he flu and are no doubt a transmission vector. You sure showed those ridiculous doctors how dumb they are!

@xmicahx your first link drives home how the flu risks mainly are for those near death before getting the flu and is the group the shots do not seem to work very well.

"The vast majority of this season’s deaths involved seniors with underlying conditions such as heart disease, respiratory disease and diabetes. Snohomish County reported the median age for its 36 flu-related deaths was 82 years old; all had underlying conditions, according to the Snohomish Health District."

It seems eating and moving in ways that prevent heart disease, respiratory disease and diabetes is perhaps the best way to prevent death while having the flu.

I do wish there was valid unbiased medical data on this subject but until that day comes this will be more of an emotional issue. Everyone who is free to make their own decision should do so.

But you can eat well and exercise and get the flu shot as well. Those things are not mutually exclusive.

@GaleHawkins are you seriously implying that is okay to forgo vaccines because the illness will mostly kill the old and weak?

I was not implying but just said, "Everyone who is free to make their own decision should do so."

Keeping my immune system healthy is the best prevention I know against flu, cancer, etc.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

200 dead in Washington
    47 dead in Idaho
    The list goes on and on.

But the bolded is more reason why healthy people should get the flu shot, so they don't get the flu and SPREAD it to people who are most at risk.

There is no actual confusion. Herd immunity is important.

@kimnyc72 as you can read Herd immunity is a pipe dream in the States and Europe when it comes to the Flu.
    https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22414740

This discussion has been closed.