Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Flu shots? For them or against ?

Options

Replies

• BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    I really need to stop coming into this thread.

@MeganAM89 Me too... :disappointed:
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I'll just drop this here:

https://youtu.be/Rzxr9FeZf1g
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Or how about " my mother smoked all her life and didn't get cancer,therefore smoking doesn't cause cancer "
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    With so much fake science data out there what to do or not to do for our health is confusing at best.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I expect the starting age of vaccinations maybe a factor in their possible side effect risks.

What is the basis for that suspicion? Like, the scientific basis?
  • morgankadams796
    morgankadams796 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am for but can't have them :( If you have shellfish allergies watch out for A site reaction!!!
  • happymom25
    happymom25 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I get them every year, no problems before this year though.
    Had the shot given by a pharmacist at CVS. She gave it very high on my arm and it didn't hurt at all, which was unusual.
    A couple of hours later, moving my arm at all was painful. That lasted a few weeks and it's very slowy getting better. It's been 4 months and i still have limited range of motion with that arm.
    Consulted with Dr. Google, then my personal and sadly this isn't uncommon. The shot should have been given in the muscular part of my arm. Instead of going into the miacle it went into and injured my tendon.
    Take away is to make sure the shot is given in the muscle! At the time I thought it was a strange place to give a shot but I was too polite to speak up ☹️.
    Lesson learned!
  • HayItsRenee
    HayItsRenee Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    IN.
    If I don't get them, I will get the flu for 2-4 weeks and be extremely dysfunctional.
    With, 2-7 days at the most.
  • astrocosmiczoom
    astrocosmiczoom Posts: 86 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Military makes you get them every year. Since joining almost five years ago, I've had the flu once. I think that's pretty good, considering I had the flu probably every year of my life until I was 20. I've gotten both dead virus and live nasal. Worth it if it even semi-reduces the chance of me vomiting myself for 36 hours straight into dehydration and delirium.
  • Tretop76
    Tretop76 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Against it for many reasons
  • festerw
    festerw Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Worth it if it even semi-reduces the chance of me vomiting myself for 36 hours straight into dehydration and delirium.

That's not what influenza does, that would be a type of gastroenteritis and the flu shot will not protect against it.

It's a very common misconception though I would be all on board to never vomit again.
  • MaybeLed
    MaybeLed Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    So.. I'm in a play that was supposed to open tomorrow night (musical, actually). Unfortunately, two of our leads are down with influenza. Bona-fide influenza. We've been literally plagued by it running through the cast for the last two weeks, missing critical actors every single night. Opening night has been postponed until Saturday.

Those of us who were immunized have so far remained well. Coincidence? I doubt it.

I'm sure it was because you give your immune system a workout and eat lots of oranges, and you do this because big pharma made you a sheeple due to injecting you with a mind control chip. [/sarcasm]

But glad you're well, it's frustrating when you've been preparing yourself for something and it gets put off.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    festerw wrote: »
    Worth it if it even semi-reduces the chance of me vomiting myself for 36 hours straight into dehydration and delirium.

That's not what influenza does, that would be a type of gastroenteritis and the flu shot will not protect against it.

It's a very common misconception though I would be all on board to never vomit again.

Although vomiting is an uncommon symptom in adults for influenza, it does happen. As confirmed by my doctor (and I have no reason to doubt his word). Those were the most unpleasant 2 weeks of my life...
  • k2theSo
    k2theSo Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Only did when I worked at a hospital. I only feel compelled to get the shot if I'm around kids or older adults regularly. Otherwise I don't get sick enough to feel I have to...
This discussion has been closed.