Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Flu shots? For them or against ?

Options

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Afura wrote: »
    I've had 3 headshakes from doctors this year when I decline the shot. After the year they guessed wrong and most people got an ineffective flu shot, I sort of lost my faith in that system.

Serious question - so you would rather risk getting the flu every year, than get the vaccine and risk the occasional year that the shot doesn't protect against the flu bug that's going around?

This really doesn't make sense to me. In both instances, the worst case scenario is that you will get the flu. If the vaccine is based on the "wrong" strains, you're in the same boat as the people who didn't get the vaccine at all. You're still not worse off than you would have been without the shot.

But by choosing to get the shot, you increase your chances of the best outcome -- that you are able to avoid getting a case of the flu that you otherwise would have gotten (and you avoid passing it to other people in your community, people that may be more vulnerable). Some years you dramatically increase your chances of the best outcome, sometimes the increase isn't so great. But it's still a chance at the best outcome.

Not getting the shot at all completely eliminates your chance at that outcome.

My thoughts also, except if there are other factors - such as costs (financial or time) or fear of needles.
  • finny11122
    finny11122 Posts: 8,436 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    finny11122 wrote: »
    A woman told me her son got autism from vaccines . Her other child is unvaccinated and is fine .

Yes, the bogus study that just won't DIE! Not only is it fear-mongering, it's guilt-mongering for the parents who vaccinated their children and later learned they were autistic. Unrelated, but there's this old discredited study out there that's telling them it's your fault

Who says she is wrong ? Plenty private studies out there from country to country that get no news or internet coverage . I'd take someone's study that has nothing to gain over someone who has something to gain any day of the week .
  • queenofpuppies
    queenofpuppies Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I had a health cousin die at 34 from the flu. She had no reason to think there was anything abnormal about the flu she had, called her husband at work to come home and take her to the doctor but was gone by the time he got home 30 minutes later. So...yeah. I get a flu shot and you all really should too. You could literally die from not getting one, or you could spread the flu and kill someone else.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    A woman told me her son got autism from vaccines . Her other child is unvaccinated and is fine .

Yes, the bogus study that just won't DIE! Not only is it fear-mongering, it's guilt-mongering for the parents who vaccinated their children and later learned they were autistic. Unrelated, but there's this old discredited study out there that's telling them it's your fault

Who says she is wrong ? Plenty private studies out there from country to country that get no news or internet coverage . I'd take someone's study that has nothing to gain over someone who has something to gain any day of the week .

Most studies published in the U.S. get no media attention. When a study does get picked up in the press, there is rarely enough detail to form a thorough understanding anyway. There are sufficient repositories of peer reviewed scientific journals. If a scholastic journal is difficult to find, though, then it would be difficult for other experts to contribute to a peer review process. And therefore, I would question an article published only in such a journal.
  • cookma423
    cookma423 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    ... or you could spread the flu and kill someone else.

I've never been personally receptive to the flu; just doesn't make me sick generally. But I read about being a potential carrier while I was working with a gentleman who was undergoing chemo. Started getting them then. I don't get them consistently anymore, but that was an eye-opener at that time

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

What private studies are you referring to? Also, if they aren't covered at all by the media or if they aren't available online, how are you hearing about them?
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    I really need to stop coming into this thread.

Me too. I need to get out more.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Could you list some of these studies? I have database access and would be interested.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    I'm not for them (for me). They always seem to predict the wrong strand that will be super active (or don't have a vaccine prepared for whatever strand happens to be particularly virulent) that year. So I either get sick anyway or not at all (usually this one). Also, I despise being poked with needles and the nasal thing burns horribly every time I try. There's also the small matter that every time the "season" rolls around, the clinics around here never seem to have the vaccines in supply until half the population gets sick or we're halfway or more through it already. Not seeing how that's effective.

Buuuut, I have nothing against flu vaccines or vaccines in general. They serve a purpose and I generally believe they are safe, but I don't feel a need to run out and get one every year.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm lucky because in the uk they are free for people at risk or who work/live with someone at risk. And for others it's not expensive
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

She might believe that vaccines cause autism, but that doesn't make it true.

Nor does it make it untrue medically speaking.

No, the fact that there is absolutely no proof of even correlation found in any non-fraudulent research makes it untrue medically speaking.

According to the CDC, 1 in 68 children has autism (https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/autism/data.html). That is 1.5% of children. Taking into consideration that there is a lower threshold for diagnosis now as opposed to previous generations so that % is inflated by comparison. And anywhere from 80-95% of children in the US get vaccinations (https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/immunize.htm). If vaccinations cause autism, why do such a low % of children get autism. Aren't there countless other things that 1.5% of children might have in common, that the other 98.5% of children don't?

I agree. There are only questions with no Yes/No answers.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

She might believe that vaccines cause autism, but that doesn't make it true.

Nor does it make it untrue medically speaking.

Study after study can't find a link between vaccines and autism. Some are very large studies.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I expect the starting age of vaccinations maybe a factor in their possible side effect risks.
This discussion has been closed.