Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Flu shots? For them or against ?

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    finny11122 wrote: »
    Big Pharma settle cases out of court every year . Pay people off to keep them quiet . It's a billion dollar industry to sell vaccines . Just ask people privately that work in these places and they will tell you all the horror stories .

Citation please.

I work for big pharma. Can you please direct me to the office that issues said payment?

This person may be referring to this: https://www.hrsa.gov/vaccinecompensation/

But this couldn't accurately be described as "big pharma" settling cases out of court. The fund was specifically developed to ensure that companies could continue to develop and sell vaccines without being targeted by lawsuits. The companies aren't involved in the administration of the fund so I'm not sure what "horror stories" their employees could possibly have for us.

For this reason, I'm really doubtful about those claims -- it doesn't match how compensation works if one is injured by a vaccine. You *can't* sue in the US for vaccine injury unless there was a lapse in testing or it was administered incorrectly.

This isn't settlement or hush money. The Vaccine Compensation fund was a political creation to keep the big pharma and the trial lawyer lobbies happy, while maintaining the flow of political contributions.

Oh I have some horror stories to share, but most of these have to do with off label practices.

I agree that this wouldn't be settlement or hush money, I apologize for being unclear in my wording.

None needed. That point was more directed to any and all conspiracy theorists.

I understand the allure of the conspiracy, but one really has to do the work and connect those dots.
  • secret_despair30
    secret_despair30 Posts: 57 Member
    Population control

You all go right ahead and get that shot of whatever the hell it is that you don't know what they are putting in you.

I will be the guy letting my body do what it is suppose to do (keep me alive).
    By the way what do the long term studies say about the Flu shot again? Oh wait there aren't any.

YES, finally somebody said it (in the midst of the poorly educated)!!!!

Ive learned that the us government is funding the whole "we must 'vaccinate' everyone! Its their secret agenda for depopulation for sure. People love free, so why is it free? Think about it! They get people to WANT it, and are told lies. In fact, its probably not even the vaccine" at all, but one of the sneaky ways they are implanting people with the rfid microchip to track people!!!! There gave been tests done to prove this! My (low income) doctors always push for me to get one, but im very strong when I tell them a big fat NO, and I know better!!!! I haven't had the flu OR the "flu shot" since I was a kid, and I take supplements to boost my immune system, plus a good diet. Wake up people....u are being deceived!!!!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Population control

You all go right ahead and get that shot of whatever the hell it is that you don't know what they are putting in you.

I will be the guy letting my body do what it is suppose to do (keep me alive).
    By the way what do the long term studies say about the Flu shot again? Oh wait there aren't any.

YES, finally somebody said it (in the midst of the poorly educated)!!!!

Ive learned that the us government is funding the whole "we must 'vaccinate' everyone! Its their secret agenda for depopulation for sure. People love free, so why is it free? Think about it! They get people to WANT it, and are told lies. In fact, its probably not even the vaccine" at all, but one of the sneaky ways they are implanting people with the rfid microchip to track people!!!! There gave been tests done to prove this! My (low income) doctors always push for me to get one, but im very strong when I tell them a big fat NO, and I know better!!!! I haven't had the flu OR the "flu shot" since I was a kid, and I take supplements to boost my immune system, plus a good diet. Wake up people....u are being deceived!!!!

What?!?
  • Carbkiller1970
    Carbkiller1970 Posts: 3,289 Member
    Never touch the stuff
  • finny11122
    finny11122 Posts: 8,436 Member
    My Doc does not advise them . A healthy diet and light exercise is the best medicine .
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    nvic.org/NVIC-Vaccine-News/August-2012/labor-unions-oppose-mandatory-flu-shots-as-ama-che.aspx

When doctors and nurses line up on their own free will to get flu shots each year then I think there will be more validity in getting flu shots. As long as the informed medical community has reasons to hesitate so will most others that weigh the pros and cons of the flu shots.

As one with an autoimmune disease and health care background I hear the pressure to get the flu shot each year.

To get or not get an annual flu shot is not backed up by concrete medical evidence.

https://cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/vaccineeffect.htm

"Does the flu vaccine work the same for everyone?

No......
    In general, the flu vaccine works best among healthy adults and older children. Some older people and people with certain chronic illnesses might develop less immunity than healthy children and adults after vaccination."

As all can read if one is unhealthy and or very young we are not to expect as much protection.

As it stands today to get a flu shot or not is more of an emotional decision than a medical decision since there is no compelling medical evidence as what to do.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    nvic.org/NVIC-Vaccine-News/August-2012/labor-unions-oppose-mandatory-flu-shots-as-ama-che.aspx

When doctors and nurses line up on their own free will to get flu shots each year then I think there will be more validity in getting flu shots. As long as the informed medical community has reasons to hesitate so will most others that weigh the pros and cons of the flu shots.

As one with an autoimmune disease and health care background I hear the pressure to get the flu shot each year.

To get or not get an annual flu shot is not backed up by concrete medical evidence.

No......
    In general, the flu vaccine works best among healthy adults and older children. Some older people and people with certain chronic illnesses might develop less immunity than healthy children and adults after vaccination."

As all can read if one is unhealthy and or very young we are not to expect as much protection.

As it stands today to get a flu shot or not is more of an emotional decision than a medical decision since there is no compelling medical evidence as what to do.

So....Perhaps the answer,then,is for healthy adults to get the vaccine and protect the rest of us?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member

No......

So....Perhaps the answer,then,is for healthy adults to get the vaccine and protect the rest of us?

Since the validity of vaccine for any given year is not knowable healthy adults are free to do as they wish I guess.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    edited February 2017
    My children do get flu shots every year. Their annual physicals always take place late summer or early fall, around the time the doctors get the vaccine in...so since we're already in the office, they get the shot (or mist, if it's deemed effective...this year it was shots only).

I never get the flu shot. I suppose I am relying on herd immunity from my family. For me it would mean a special trip to the doctor for the shot, and I never seem to fit it in. So far I've been lucky.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,983 Member
    ilfaith wrote: »
    My children do get flu shots every year. Their annual physicals always take place late summer or early fall, around the time the doctors get the vaccine in...so since we're already in the office, they get the shot (or mist, if it's deemed effective...this year it was shots only).

I never get the flu shot. I suppose I am relying on herd immunity from my family. For me it would mean a special trip to the doctor for the shot, and I never seem to fit it in. So far I've been lucky.

Can you not get it when you take your children to get theirs???

I guess I don't know how your medical system works but that would seem obvious answer to me?

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    I'm not against them but I really haven't had the flu since I was a kid so I always put it off, and don't get them myself.
  • Pooshka2
    Pooshka2 Posts: 207 Member
    I'm 61, and I've been getting one every year with no reactions for the last 15+ years. Also got pneumonia and shingles vaccines. Just one minor bout with the flu a few years back.
  • devinnn0728
    devinnn0728 Posts: 31 Member
    To each their own...I have never gotten a flu shot. And I don't ever remember getting the flu.
This discussion has been closed.