Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Flu shots? For them or against ?

Options

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Noop .i will never ever take one in .i have lupus and wont further destroy my body .there pure poison .just my opinon .my daughter also has lupus and had a flue shots and got so deathly sick .first hand sight of seeing results,.

I don't understand how you can have "just an opinion" about whether the flu vaccine is poison. Something is poisonous at a specific dose or it isn't.

Only if you are talking about a specific person is that true.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Noop .i will never ever take one in .i have lupus and wont further destroy my body .there pure poison .just my opinon .my daughter also has lupus and had a flue shots and got so deathly sick .first hand sight of seeing results,.

I don't understand how you can have "just an opinion" about whether the flu vaccine is poison. Something is poisonous at a specific dose or it isn't.

Only if you are talking about a specific person is that true.

Usually when someone says something is poisonous, they aren't referring to a specific person. But I guess this person could be.
  • johnwelk
    johnwelk Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    wessx1 wrote: »
    Wanna see what other people think about this topic.
    I for one am very neutral on it. Working in Healthcare I see if fit. However I also see negative effects of it.

What's your thoughts?

Against
    The more your body is used to these shots the more your immune system becomes weaker
    Let your body fights
    Flu is not a disease , the common fact about flu is that it happens to stregthen our bodies.

Best

Is this a joke?

Where in the world did you come up with this nonsense?

Your entire post post is factually incorrect. Do you have any real science to support this?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    wessx1 wrote: »
    Wanna see what other people think about this topic.
    I for one am very neutral on it. Working in Healthcare I see if fit. However I also see negative effects of it.

What's your thoughts?

Against
    The more your body is used to these shots the more your immune system becomes weaker
    Let your body fights
    Flu is not a disease , the common fact about flu is that it happens to stregthen our bodies.

Best

You know people die of the flu every year, right?
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Personally, no. To each their own.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a flu shot since I left the military over 20 years ago and haven't had the flu since. Exercising, living a healthy lifestyle and taking vitamins has prevented me from becoming sick when everyone else around me, who has gotten flu shots and swears by them, is getting really sick. These same people ask "why don't you ever get sick??" I say "because I don't inject my body with that crap and I live a healthy lifestyle".

It's one thing to claim that taking vitamins and exercising will render one immune to illness (which I think is worthy of a whole other debate), but to claim that people are getting ill specifically due to getting a flu vaccine . . . what are you basing that on?

I am basing that on they get the flu shot because they swear by it and then within a month or 2 get the flu - I have seen it time and time again. Like I said - I haven't had one of those in over 20 years, won't get one again and I haven't gotten sick with the flu since that last shot in the military.

That's because the vaccine only protects against certain strains of flu and also the viruses mutate. At least that's what my doctor told me.
    I get the shot every year. I'm asthmatic,suffer from a chronic autoimmune disorder and am on immunosuppressant medication. Flu could have a serious impact on my health. My family get it done too,to protect me.
    If you've ever had real flu- not just a fluey cold - you'd know how nasty it is. And being young and healthy isn't necessarily a protection against getting it.
  • RemoteOutpost
    RemoteOutpost Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I think they're totally great as a probably ineffective way for vulnerable populations such as the elderly or very young to not die of the flu. For me, I think I look back on all the years I took it and got the flu anyway and just don't bother with it.
  • johnwelk
    johnwelk Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Reaverie wrote: »
    Ive never gotten one and I have always refused the doctors when they tried to insist my kids take them. Same goes for the chicken pox shot. I believe our bodies learn to build up immunity by getting sick. In the case of those whose immunity's are shot, they need the extra help. But if your are healthy, I think its better for your immunity to get in the exercise and build its muscles just like we build ours. Now concerning diseases that are KNOWN to kill? Shots shots shots! I will probably get my kids the chicken pox shot this year though. They never caught it (when I was a kid it was a right of passage) and I know that it becomes more dangerous with age.

Please read the book Immunity by William Paul. You'll learn why such a complex subject can't be reduced to such simple and incorrect analogies.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    I don't get it regularly like I should being at risk (asthma). I've never actually had influenza, or if I did it was very mild and acted more like a cold. If it was the flu, it wasn't severe enough to display it's hallmark characteristics like body aches and a fever. But I would get colds so bad I had to take my inhaler every 2 hours! My doc talked me into the pneumonia shot when I was about 25, and it was the best thing I've ever done for myself. I haven't had a severe cold like that since. So, I'm for any immunization that helps you be healthier and more productive with your life... (even if I don't practice what I preach, lol)
  • brendywendy
    brendywendy Posts: 8 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'll get them when I'm in my 60s but at 26 I'll just bite the bullet and spend a week feeling like death because i caught the flu. If it was free then I'd get it now.

Cost of 'flu vaccine October 2016 €10 when I was visiting GP for something else.
    Cost of Codinex cough syrup January 2017: €9.60 Cost of Advil Cold n Flu January 2017: €6.10 and I've only got the respiratory bug (not the 'flu) that's doing the rounds in my city. Missed days from work 1.5.

Last time I had a 'flu (6 years ago) I missed 5 days of work as in couldn't get out of bed and get dressed. Had to get steroids and a prescription cough bottle twice. Spent the next four months fighting off the post viral cough, had sore ribs and stomach muscles from the cough, had to get those old-lady pads, had to get a rescue inhaler. Couldn't walk beyond strolling pace and gained over 2 stone in weight. I was a healthy young adult at the time and picked it up during work related studies when I was mixing with lots of new people (also healthy young adults). That wasn't even a pandemic year (i.e. not Swine 'flu).
This discussion has been closed.