Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Flu shots? For them or against ?

Replies

• FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    This is my second winter getting one. The winter before, I spent in the hospital with my 2 month old. Whatever we had (all of the tests were negative, except the x-ray showing pneumonia), we (breastfed baby and mom) were pretty much quarantined up in Pediatrics.
  • KendraSMcKinley
    KendraSMcKinley Posts: 1 Member
    I haven't had one since I was 8, and I haven't had the flu either...if I get sick it's usually just a cold for a week once a year. I'm not saying I'm against them, though. I just know my immune system is strong.
  • Shull_rachael
    Shull_rachael Posts: 430 Member
    I don't get the flu shot. I haven't gotten it in 12 or 13 years and don't plan on getting it anytime soon. The last time I remember having the actual flu and not just 24 hour bug is may be 15 years ago.
  • Skyweigh
    Skyweigh Posts: 113 Member
    Highly susceptible to colds and flu, but used to feel wary of the shot. Have had the shot, though, 3 different years, not in a row, where I've been working downtown and travelling subways, etc. No colds or flu after during those years I was vaccinated. This year, in particular, so many people around me have been down with a horrible flu (none were vaccinated) including my husband who had never had so much as a cold before. Me? I didn't get sick this year.
  • Carbkiller1970
    Carbkiller1970 Posts: 3,289 Member
    If the OP is giving them I'll get them
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    edited February 2017
    Interesting post. I am a flu vaccinators for my area of work...... However, I do not have the flu vaccine. On receiving the training to give this vaccine to a PGD I was told that it may be difficult for me to Be an effective vaccinator because of my unwillingness to have the jab myself. I really didn't see this as an issue as I do not have the vaccine as I am vegetarian and do not take egg products.
    Apparently my vegetarian status was looked down on and it was obvious that I was being pressured into receiving a vaccine that I did not want for this reason.
    Needless to say I vaccinated between 100-200 staff.
    The way I see it is there are always going to be the type of person who ques up for the vaccine and there will always be those who will not.

I'd probably be more concerned about this attitude toward your patients than the fact that you don't take the vaccine.
    Also, you can get flu virus inoculation without egg in it. I'm surprised that no one told you that so you could at least properly educate patients.
    https://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/qa_flublok-vaccine.htm
    A way to make me feel guilty I think was for the educators to tell me that I can have the flu without having any symptoms and therefore, could pass the flu on in this way...... this was the first I had heard of this and if anyone has come across any evidence for this then please share.

It is possible, but studies question how likely.
    Most healthy adults may be able to infect other people beginning 1 day before symptoms develop and up to 5 to 7 days after becoming sick. Children may pass the virus for longer than 7 days. Symptoms start 1 to 4 days after the virus enters the body. That means that you may be able to pass on the flu to someone else before you know you are sick, as well as while you are sick. Some people can be infected with the flu virus but have no symptoms. During this time, those persons may still spread the virus to others.
    https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease/spread.htm

Contrast with

Asymptomatic individuals may shed influenza virus, but studies have not conclusively determined if such people effectively transmit influenza.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2646474/

That said, a person who regularly works in a medical context is probably at higher risk for spreading, even if asymptomatic.

Hi, thank you for this and if I had been given this information on the day then I might have actually proceeded. The papers look interesting so I have saved them and I was told there was no alternative for people who didn't take egg eg, veggies and vegans. Maybe a change for next winter! However, I am wondering about the motives behind them saying there was no other option... maybe financial?

Just to point out that the egg free vaccine is grown up in a mammalian secondary cell line so most definitely not vegan friendly and depending on your vegetarian ethics possibly also not suitable. This vaccine is substantially more expensive to make and therefore buy than the egg based one too so I would guess that is why they told you there is no alternative.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    I'm convinced that the flu shot is something I should get and everyone eligible should get.

But I didn't always feel this way. Years ago I went with my daughter to the mall shopping and we encountered a free flu shot station with almost no line up and we each got the shot. Both us of were horribly ill afterwards. Of course I heard that the flu shot didn't have any live viruses and our illness was not connected but I couldn't disassociate the two occurrences. A bit like the novel ice cream flavour served to chemotherapy patients.

I got quite sick this year and finally did some reading and see that I had norovirus that year, not even a virus represented in the vaccine. Doh!

I'll try to protect myself in the future and maybe more importantly protect the people in my life with immune systems weaker and than my own.
  • MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    I never get the flu shot and I've had the flu once in the last.... 15+ years. If I worked in health care or around people who were at risk, I would get one for their protection.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    ilfaith wrote: »
    My children do get flu shots every year. Their annual physicals always take place late summer or early fall, around the time the doctors get the vaccine in...so since we're already in the office, they get the shot (or mist, if it's deemed effective...this year it was shots only).

I never get the flu shot. I suppose I am relying on herd immunity from my family. For me it would mean a special trip to the doctor for the shot, and I never seem to fit it in. So far I've been lucky.

If you are in the US, many pharmacies offer them on a walk-in basis. It's easy to fit in with other errands.

I'm not in the US. Maybe that's why I never gave serious thought to it. I regard flu as just a more serious version of the common cold. But maybe I'm wrong.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,977 Member
    edited February 2017
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    My children do get flu shots every year. Their annual physicals always take place late summer or early fall, around the time the doctors get the vaccine in...so since we're already in the office, they get the shot (or mist, if it's deemed effective...this year it was shots only).

I never get the flu shot. I suppose I am relying on herd immunity from my family. For me it would mean a special trip to the doctor for the shot, and I never seem to fit it in. So far I've been lucky.

If you are in the US, many pharmacies offer them on a walk-in basis. It's easy to fit in with other errands.

I'm not in the US. Maybe that's why I never gave serious thought to it. I regard flu as just a more serious version of the common cold. But maybe I'm wrong.

If you read through the thread you will see explanations of how you are wrong.

ETA - and not sure how being in the US or not changes that - you are wrong on this ,wherever you live.

• comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member

ETA - and not sure how being in the US or not changes that - you are wrong on this ,wherever you live.

Also I don't get the people saying,I've never had the shot and I've never had the flu.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member

Also I don't get the people saying,I've never had the shot and I've never had the flu.

Agreed. That is the same as one saying I always get a flu shot and I have never had the flu.
This discussion has been closed.