Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Flu shots? For them or against ?

Options

Replies

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Relser wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    Relser wrote: »
    The problem with a lot of people who say "well, I got the flu shot, and got the flu!" is that most people can't tell the difference between actual influenza and a 24 hour viral or bacteria thing. Myself included. When I worked at the local hospital many people would come in with the 'flu' and nope, you have something else totally but think it's the flu because 'flu like symptoms' cover a whole lot of diseases.
    Good point.
    One of my colleagues "gets flu" about three times every winter, typically lasts a day and doesn't prevent him from working or exhibit any symptoms beyond blowing his nose a couple of times.
    Man flu in other words.

At the opposite extreme my Mum thought she had the flu when she had a massive heart attack and took to her bed for a couple of days. She was from a tougher generation....

Yes! We'd get in these tough old farmers like, I think I may have a chest cold, aaaaaand you're having a heart attack/stroke. Or the guy who shot himself in the leg with a nail gun and then was back out working as an EMT the next day! And it was not a small nail!

Or the ones who had the baby in the fields, put it to the breast and continued to pick cotton the rest of the day.

• LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    Maybe its possible that I got the flu from my coworkers that year?? I got the shot that year because all of them would get the flu every year. And I never got it before, and didn't want to get it. Seen how sick they were. Due our employer, not having health insurance plan, or paid sick time. Everyone would come to work sick constantly. I just didn't want to get sick. So I got the shot. Then got super sick anyway. This was also the company owner that would come to work deathly ill himself. And when he would come into my office and breathe and hack on me.. I would spray the lysol straight towards his head. And tell him not to get me, or anyone else sick. I guess it may just be a coinsidence that the only time I got the flu, was after getting the shot. Still haven't gotten the flu, or one of those shots since then. Guess I got lucky so far.
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    HyeKarma wrote: »
    Maybe its possible that I got the flu from my coworkers that year?? I got the shot that year because all of them would get the flu every year. And I never got it before, and didn't want to get it. Seen how sick they were. Due our employer, not having health insurance plan, or paid sick time. Everyone would come to work sick constantly. I just didn't want to get sick. So I got the shot. Then got super sick anyway. This was also the company owner that would come to work deathly ill himself. And when he would come into my office and breathe and hack on me.. I would spray the lysol straight towards his head. And tell him not to get me, or anyone else sick. I guess it may just be a coinsidence that the only time I got the flu, was after getting the shot. Still haven't gotten the flu, or one of those shots since then. Guess I got lucky so far.

I believe the flu shot only covers so many strains.

To clarify, I get the shot every year and will continue to do so.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Against, and I work in a hospital. Every year I take one I get sick as a dog for at least a week after it, but since I stopped like 8 years ago I have not had any issues with the flu. I honestly think they use them to inject the population with nanobots or other weird crap (kidding?). They aren't even effective in most cases for healthy adults.

What's the source for the lack of effectiveness in healthy adults?
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I am for them this year. And next year. If I have a reason to get them I get them. Sometimes I'm too lazy. So if I'm going to be around people with weak immune systems I get them.

To be clear. I'm never against getting them. I'm just lazy (and I shouldn't be).
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I swear by them! 15 years ago I got the flu so bad I literally almost died. Of course I did not believe in flu shots. So since then I have gotten one every October. I have not had the flu since ---knock on wood.
  • AlienMoon32
    AlienMoon32 Posts: 13 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Against, and I work in a hospital. Every year I take one I get sick as a dog for at least a week after it, but since I stopped like 8 years ago I have not had any issues with the flu. I honestly think they use them to inject the population with nanobots or other weird crap (kidding?). They aren't even effective in most cases for healthy adults.

Even the CDC has said it's not even effective half the time most years, and these are industry-funded studies.

Check their website for last winter's numbers and they have Vaccine Effectiveness at 19%....

One study for last year did show 19%, a study for the year before showed 52%. According to the CDC website, studies on adults show effectiveness ranging from 16-76%. I think it's stretching the facts to say that they aren't effective in "most cases."

I guess, but 9 out of 12 of the years included in that study it hasn't been better than rolling a dice, and even then just barely. Again I would like to point out that these are actual studies conducted by the industry, and that's the best they could cherry pick? You get them if you want, but I'm not convinced enough to expose myself to whatever is in them that makes me horribly ill.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    The ONLY reason I get the Flu vaccine is we get discounts off health ins premiums at work.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I get one yearly and am neutral on it. Doesn't matter anyway, as I'm required by my employer to get one.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Even the CDC has said it's not even effective half the time most years, and these are industry-funded studies.

Check their website for last winter's numbers and they have Vaccine Effectiveness at 19%....

One study for last year did show 19%, a study for the year before showed 52%. According to the CDC website, studies on adults show effectiveness ranging from 16-76%. I think it's stretching the facts to say that they aren't effective in "most cases."

I guess, but 9 out of 12 of the years included in that study it hasn't been better than rolling a dice, and even then just barely. Again I would like to point out that these are actual studies conducted by the industry, and that's the best they could cherry pick? You get them if you want, but I'm not convinced enough to expose myself to whatever is in them that makes me horribly ill.

If you're arguing that the numbers are "cherry picked" and unreliable because they are from the "industry," it seems odd to also use those numbers as a basis for the argument that the flu shot is not effective for most people. Do you believe these studies are accurate?
  • AlienMoon32
    Options

If you're arguing that the numbers are "cherry picked" and unreliable because they are from the "industry," it seems odd to also use those numbers as a basis for the argument that the flu shot is not effective for most people. Do you believe these studies are accurate?

No, I don't think they are accurate at all, but my point was that was the best they could do and it is straight crap.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

No, I don't think they are accurate at all, but my point was that was the best they could do and it is straight crap.

Are there any studies on the efficacy of the flu vaccine that you do accept? I'm taken aback by you introducing specific studies to make your point and then later telling me that you don't accept them as accurate. Let's base this conversation on the studies that you do accept.
  • AlienMoon32
    Options

Are there any studies on the efficacy of the flu vaccine that you do accept? I'm taken aback by you introducing specific studies to make your point and then later telling me that you don't accept them as accurate. Let's base this conversation on the studies that you do accept.

Cochrane Collaboration does a decent one. What that found was that most official reports on effectiveness were shoddy at best.

http://www.cochrane.org/CD001269/ARI_vaccines-to-prevent-influenza-in-healthy-adults
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Cochrane Collaboration does a decent one. What that found was that most official reports on effectiveness were shoddy at best.

http://www.cochrane.org/CD001269/ARI_vaccines-to-prevent-influenza-in-healthy-adults

That includes industry-funded studies as well.
  • AlienMoon32
    edited November 2016
    Options

That includes industry-funded studies as well.

Yes, and publicly funded studies also, to show the bias. And the most interesting part of that is that even though they included these multiple biased studies, they still couldn't find more than a "very modest" legit benefit for taking this vaccine. Which is the point I was trying to make by introducing the CDC data.
This discussion has been closed.