Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Flu shots? For them or against ?

Replies

• tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    DaveDR7 wrote: »
    Jordan,
    great question!
    I always thought I would probably get the flu shots later in my life to give me a fighting chance, but deep down, I'm against them.
    I can't remember 100% why though, I did a basic research years ago and found something to do with your immune system fights better by itself and although I can see the benefits if your immune system is already compromised then it may be a no-brainier, but I read so many bad reports how people seem to get it really bad after they've had a flu jab!?
    That's the one that really puts me off, this was years ago mind you and I don't know if flu jabs have improved in many ways or not?
    I'm probably one of those that will never take the flu jab and hope to maintain a physical and mental fitness instead and then wish when I do get the flu, that I had taken the jabs!! ;-)

Or maybe after you've infected someone else who is vulnerable.......

I'm pretty sure that people who went through the 1918 flu epidemic would strongly disagree with this philosophy and would have loved to see their loved ones survive because of a simple little needle.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    tmoneyag99 wrote: »
    DaveDR7 wrote: »
    Jordan,
    great question!
    I always thought I would probably get the flu shots later in my life to give me a fighting chance, but deep down, I'm against them.
    I can't remember 100% why though, I did a basic research years ago and found something to do with your immune system fights better by itself and although I can see the benefits if your immune system is already compromised then it may be a no-brainier, but I read so many bad reports how people seem to get it really bad after they've had a flu jab!?
    That's the one that really puts me off, this was years ago mind you and I don't know if flu jabs have improved in many ways or not?
    I'm probably one of those that will never take the flu jab and hope to maintain a physical and mental fitness instead and then wish when I do get the flu, that I had taken the jabs!! ;-)

Or maybe after you've infected someone else who is vulnerable.......

I'm pretty sure that people who went through the 1918 flu epidemic would strongly disagree with this philosophy and would have loved to see their loved ones survive because of a simple little needle.

Um,do you mean my philosophy or the person before me? Confused!
  • tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    @amyrebeccah

Thank you so much for the info on the egg free inoculation. As you can see above DH is allergic to egg. We want to have another baby so his ability to get the flu shot is huge when that time comes. As I am sure you know pregnant women and newborns are among those that flu is very risky.
  • sammieb1228
    sammieb1228 Posts: 46 Member
    For! I'm a teacher so I'm exposed to all kinds of germs each year. My work has a day where they come and give it after school. I was certainly glad I got it this year. My mom and brother caught it over Christmas but because my dad and I had had it we didn't become sick.

The shot's not for everyone though. I've had a couple co-workers actually get the flu or a week's of flu like illness from the flu shot this year. (Maybe their immune system is bad?)
  • jillybeansalad
    jillybeansalad Posts: 239 Member
    edited January 2017
    I had the flu once. I would cough until I gagged and often vomited. I've been vaccinated annually ever since. The injection isn't live, so anyone claiming to catch it form the vaccine is lying or grossly misinformed. The single dose ingredients are not that significant if you look into the other places they exist (and in higher amounts).

I'm also vaccinated for rabies (veterinary job) and let me tell you, /those/ made me sore and feel like crap for days. Still better than rabies.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    For! I'm a teacher so I'm exposed to all kinds of germs each year. My work has a day where they come and give it after school. I was certainly glad I got it this year. My mom and brother caught it over Christmas but because my dad and I had had it we didn't become sick.

The shot's not for everyone though. I've had a couple co-workers actually get the flu or a week's of flu like illness from the flu shot this year. (Maybe their immune system is bad?)

Impossible to get the flu from the shot as the virus is deax
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Never had the shot. Couldn't say I'm for or against it. It just isn't something I even think of really.
  • sammieb1228
    sammieb1228 Posts: 46 Member
    Impossible to get the flu from the shot as the virus is deax

That's what I've always heard but this one particular lady just started getting it two years ago and the day after both times she's gotten very sick. Maybe a reaction to it or a coincidence.

• JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Never had it and probably never will.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Definitely for. I work in a high care nursing home and have sen firsthand how quickly influenza can rip through a place like that. We put infection control into practice but all it takes is for one person to pass it onto a relative or a client and bang every single person in that ward is sick. Our residents are elderly and immunosuppressd. The flu can be fatal to them.
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    I've never had a flu shot in my life. Not sure if they help or not. I stil with taking vitamin C on a regular basis, and adding all the colour fruit & veg into my diet, especially when it gets cold.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    I am totally in favor of you people getting the flu shot. That's because I invest in public corporations that supply flu shots. As for me, nope!
    Flu shots are of little value, but get it anyway. o:)

They don't protect against all strains of flu,that's true,but what evidence do you have that they're of "little value "?
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    finny11122 wrote: »
    Big Pharma settle cases out of court every year . Pay people off to keep them quiet . It's a billion dollar industry to sell vaccines . Just ask people privately that work in these places and they will tell you all the horror stories .

Citation please.

I work for big pharma. Can you please direct me to the office that issues said payment?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited January 2017
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Big Pharma settle cases out of court every year . Pay people off to keep them quiet . It's a billion dollar industry to sell vaccines . Just ask people privately that work in these places and they will tell you all the horror stories .

Citation please.

I work for big pharma. Can you please direct me to the office that issues said payment?

This person may be referring to this: https://www.hrsa.gov/vaccinecompensation/

But this couldn't accurately be described as "big pharma" settling cases out of court. The fund was specifically developed to ensure that companies could continue to develop and sell vaccines without being targeted by lawsuits. The companies aren't involved in the administration of the fund so I'm not sure what "horror stories" their employees could possibly have for us.

For this reason, I'm really doubtful about those claims -- it doesn't match how compensation works if one is injured by a vaccine. You *can't* sue in the US for vaccine injury unless there was a lapse in testing or it was administered incorrectly.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member

Citation please.

But this couldn't accurately be described as "big pharma" settling cases out of court. The fund was specifically developed to ensure that companies could continue to develop and sell vaccines without being targeted by lawsuits. The companies aren't involved in the administration of the fund so I'm not sure what "horror stories" their employees could possibly have for us.

For this reason, I'm really doubtful about those claims -- it doesn't match how compensation works if one is injured by a vaccine. You *can't* sue in the US for vaccine injury unless there was a lapse in testing or it was administered incorrectly.

This isn't settlement or hush money. The Vaccine Compensation fund was a political creation to keep the big pharma and the trial lawyer lobbies happy, while maintaining the flow of political contributions.

Oh I have some horror stories to share, but most of these have to do with off label practices.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Citation please.

This isn't settlement or hush money. The Vaccine Compensation fund was a political creation to keep the big pharma and the trial lawyer lobbies happy, while maintaining the flow of political contributions.

Oh I have some horror stories to share, but most of these have to do with off label practices.

I agree that this wouldn't be settlement or hush money, I apologize for being unclear in my wording.
  • DarkSinestra
    DarkSinestra Posts: 45 Member
    I have gotten one every year for the past 25 years. For the past 25 years, I have had the flu exactly once, and that was a year widely acknowledged as one where they got the strain wrong. I would get the flu every year before I started getting vaccinated. Three times I had pneumonia develop as a secondary infection from the flu. Now that I'm a part-time care giver for my elderly father, it's more important than ever. Flu kills. I believe it's foolish and irresponsible not to do your best to avoid spreading a disease responsible for tens of thousands of deaths worldwide every year when you can do something about it.

(No, I'm not talking about people allergic to the ingredients or people who for whatever other health reasons don't respond well to vaccines or whose physicians have advised them not to take it, obviously.)
  • CrazyCatLady916
    CrazyCatLady916 Posts: 29 Member
    I never had anything against them but I never got one. Then a couple of years ago I was so sick with the flu I thought i was going to die. I've gotten one every year since. Better safe than sorry.
This discussion has been closed.