MFP Poll -How many do their own lawns vs hiring someone?

Options

Replies

• jruch23
    jruch23 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I cut it myself. Only takes an hr for both yards
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    We mow our lawn ourselves these days. Dh likes the exercise of mowing and we can't afford to pay anyone.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Yard work is hired out.

.... so is pool maintenance.

next on the luxury scale is a personal chef. how awesome would that be?
  • johnm6952
    johnm6952 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Kids, my son hates it, my younger daughter thinks she can't wait to do it!!!
  • pudgy1977
    pudgy1977 Posts: 13,499 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Yard work is hired out.

If you wanna live of frozen pizza and blts, I'm your gal
  • gettingmeback2013
    gettingmeback2013 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I hate yard work with passion! Hire!!
  • 123liveoak
    123liveoak Posts: 2,239 Member
    Options
    I hired out...then said f this i can do it....im looking for a new lawn guy :#
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    J_Surita3 wrote: »
    If I had a riding mower I probably wouldn't mind doing it but when you have to push a mower up on an incline in 95 degree hot humid weather it's not fun at all. I wonder how many calories I burn though, hmm?

Another reason I miss living in the city.

For 45 minutes I get 304 calories.Mine is not all incline though, and the temperature is usually a little lower than 95 degrees.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    pudgy1977 wrote: »
    I am too scared to hire it out. Dont trust others touching my lawn

You do have to do a background check and health screening first, that makes it less scary. While you're at it you may want to check their credit score.

My neighbour's house was recently robbed by his old faithful gardener.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Yard work is hired out.

Submit your CV; we'll talk....
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    It is a matter of money vs time. How much is your time worth. Do you get something more out of doing it yourself?
    For me, it is something I like doing. I like doing the yard work. If I had children involved in sports every weekend, is probably have to pay someone.
    One of my brothers lives in a pricy neighborhood. His neighbors asked him why he didn't hire out. They thought it odd that a lawyer, married to another lawyer was doing manual labor by choice.
    He didn't hire a crew until his daughters got to busy with sports on the weekends.
  • pudgy1977
    pudgy1977 Posts: 13,499 Member
    Options
    Yard work is hired out.

Submit your CV; we'll talk....

Do I submit online? I don't see a link
  • Lone_wolf46
    Lone_wolf46 Posts: 2,711 Member
    Options
    Do my own... good exercise.
  • JadeQuetzal
    JadeQuetzal Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I can't afford another bill. We use a reel mower and weed wacker since we can't use a gas/electric mover because it is uneven and there is a lot of randomly placed gravel that it would kick up (I don't know what the previous owners were thinking). Mowing our lawn is a real work out. I do have the ultimate goal of making it as maintenance free as possible, so I'm trying to slowly replace bushes that need regular trims with some that don't.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Yard work is hired out.

And then next on the scale is an account at JPMorgan private client group.
  • SoulRadiation
    SoulRadiation Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I do my own lawncare...I like doing, actually...I love being outside. It's pretty good exercise, too. It's really like getting in a nice walk. What I don't like as much is doing certain things like trimming bushes and chainsaw stuff when trees fall...I still have another one I need to finish.

I just don't like power tools like power saws (circle saws hell no...I'm no carpenter) or anything of that nature...I'm always nervous around them. I have to use them, though. I did go through a phase where I was like...ok I'm losing weight so I'm chopping this tree with an axe. That's so dumb. Soooo dumb. lol. Chainsaws were invented for a good reason.

My neighbor uses a lawn service though, as do many of our other neighbors. I would just rather not spend that money tbh...and get some extra time outside. I'm inside almost all week at a computer, so I won't *kitten* and moan about yard work.

Even when it's hot, just put on a hat and shades...listen to some tunes...and it's pleasant imo.

• SoulRadiation
    SoulRadiation Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I have an elderly neighbor on one side...she and her husband, who recently passed, constantly working outside. They actually have a perfect yard, beautiful landscape...they are insane and will pick up every last pine needle and leaf BY HAND. That's...after their lawn service lol. I'm not every planning on being at that level.

I just have other things going on in my life. I would rather spend that time with my kids, or working out. lol I also don't want my kids to think that you're supposed to pick up every leaf...that's just crazy lol. But, she's a pretty funny neighbor anyway. She's a nice person.

I think I keep my yard looking pretty reasonable but she's always way ahead of everybody else on the street. IDK so much as it's a social thing for her, that she wants to be able to say...well look guys, I have the perfect yard. I think she's just into it. That's just her thing, and I think that's cool too. It's just not really how I want to spend all of my extra time.
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    All of you have insane amounts of land. I wish I even had a lawn :(