August 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom -How exciting for you and Skip!!!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Interesting study... it seems to imply that stretching is all in your head (though the article admits more testing needed)

https://www.runnersworld.com/sweat-science/does-stretching-alter-your-muscles-or-your-brain

Do any of you stretch before you run? I have not since leaving gym class. Does not seem to help/hinder me best I can tell.

When my hip was hurting I was stretching it regularly. It didn't seem to help at all. Once I got new sneakers my hip pain went away.

I do stretch my back because it tends to feel tight or hurt. I think it has more to do with my age than with running. I don't do it before or after running, more when I'm sitting down and have a few minutes.
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent Rolling seems to do more than anything for me and I'll spot stretch if something starts to get really tight (calves/hips usually) but I'm not regular with it. I used to stretch a lot (gymnast days) but I think I would call that flexibility over stretching.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent I stretch my piriformis and hips everyday, maybe several times a day if I'm struggling. Quads once or twice a week maybe. No luck stretching my hamstrings since I just experience nerve irritation in doing so. I usually just spring for a massage if I'm to stiff.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    @Orphia Congrats on the marathon! Your amazing :)
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @PastorVincent I stretch my piriformis and hips everyday, maybe several times a day if I'm struggling. Quads once or twice a week maybe. No luck stretching my hamstrings since I just experience nerve irritation in doing so. I usually just spring for a massage if I'm to stiff.

Any piriformis secrets? That's what pains me.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    Love the pictures @lporter229 !

@PastorVincent secret shame but I don't stretch, seems to make no difference for me either.

Same on the stretching front for me as well.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Any piriformis secrets? That's what pains me.

Instructions from my surgeon: Gentle stretching and nerve glides (since it can impinge nerves). Ice if need, NSAID's if tolerated.

Strengthening. Donkey kicks, hip triangles and one legged balancing on a foam balance pad.

Short running strides. And don't do anything that aggravates it. Like standing locked knee and bending forward.

Good luck! I know it's a real pain!

ETA Don't underestimate the value of a physical therapist.
  • wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - what an amazing weekend! Enjoy!

As for me - still on the couch. Tried to go to work for half a day this week - and that will not be happening again until this is better. You know how you feel walking back to the car after your first marathon? That's how my left side felt for the entire time I was there and then the next 12 hours. But there is some good news - I have given the medications as long as I can to work without success, so we are going to go ahead and do a surgery/procedure to clear this thing. With the holiday weekend coming up and timing issues, I won't have it until next Wednesday - the same day my flight was leaving for Switzerland - but at least there is an end in sight for this thing. I'll try to keep up with the group posts next month - but probably won't be able to run again until October.
  • carolineb81
    carolineb81 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    1/8-REST
    2/8-5.3
    3/8-3.6
    4/8-5.6
    5/8-3.1
    6/8-7.7
    7/8-REST
    8/8-4.3
    9/8-3.7
    10/8-REST
    11/8-8.6
    12/8-rest
    13/8-2.6
    14/8-5.1
    15/8-3.9
    16/8-4.7
    17/8-4.4
    18/8-8.0
    19/8-REST
    20/8-REST
    21/8-5.1
    22/8-5.7
    23/8-REST
    24/8-5.0
    Total - 86.4/120 Miles 1/8-REST
    2/8-5.3
    3/8-3.6
    4/8-5.6
    5/8-3.1
    6/8-7.7
    7/8-REST
    8/8-4.3
    9/8-3.7
    10/8-REST
    11/8-8.6
    12/8-rest
    13/8-2.6
    14/8-5.1
    15/8-3.9
    16/8-4.7
    17/8-4.4
    18/8-8.0
    19/8-REST
    20/8-REST
    21/8-5.1
    22/8-5.7
    23/8-REST
    24/8-5.0
    25/8-9.1
    26/8-REST
    27/8-ill
    28/9-5.1
    29/9-4.0
    Total - 104.6/120 Miles

Not sure Im going to meet my target this month due to a couple of unplanned rest days but i will still have run over 100 miles so im pleased with that
  • bride001
    bride001 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - Raining here in Louisiana and some places have started flooding. Some parishes (counties) have closed schools and government entities are closed. Thanks for asking about us!
    @amymoreorless - glad you are safe and the sunshine is out!

Rain forecasted for next 12-16 hours. Going to run on the treadmill after work.

• Dcorrick
    Dcorrick Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Took a break from the string of 3-mile-mornings for an intervals session. Nothing extraordinary, except that my HR seems to have hit its stride, and I can get some distance in before I get into Zone 4. Hey; you take your wins where you find 'em, right?

Probably one more run this month, but already 10% over goal.

Best thoughts and wishes to all on the Gulf Coast. In 2004, we had back to back direct hits, and those memories are still vivid. Stay safe.

exercise.png

• AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Interesting study... it seems to imply that stretching is all in your head (though the article admits more testing needed)

https://www.runnersworld.com/sweat-science/does-stretching-alter-your-muscles-or-your-brain

Do any of you stretch before you run? I have not since leaving gym class. Does not seem to help/hinder me best I can tell.

@PastorVincent I stretch after I do any kind of speed work or run long. However, I don't stretch before running.

I do yoga once or twice a week. Yoga seems to help work out the aches and pains of hard runs. Plus, I love doing yoga - a win-win situation.
  • Dcorrick
    Dcorrick Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Re: stretching. I have two chronically tight spots that I stretch before running, and sometimes get some yoga in pre-run. I try to stretch afterwards, but let's call it one time in three; gotta get to work. But I consider the yoga on rest days critical to the running and other fitness. I just get really tight really fast.
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options

My trainer has always told me it's bad to stretch cold muscles so I never stretch before a run. He is pretty emphatic about stretching shortly after a run however. There is only a handful of stretches he has me do but they do help, mostly hip flexor & hamstring. Trying to do most of them pre-run would probably pull on them too hard.

The only real time I do much stretching before a run is a race, in which I'll normally do a warmup 30-45 minutes beforehand. I tend to have tight Achilles tendons and it take about 1-2 miles before I feel loose enough to run fast. Stretching after a warmup race day helps keep that loose and ready go. Could be mental but I honestly feel like I have better times since doing a warmup and stretching than before

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    On the stretching thing. I pretty much never stretch, however, I have been getting deep tissue massages like once a month since May, and that seems to really help.... My one guilty pleasure.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    3.3 on elliptical this morning. I think with the resistance cranked up this becomes a great strengthing exercise for my thighs.
    @PastorVincent no on the stretching. I have been known to do some knee ups to work on my hips, and I have some yoga back exercises I use from time to time.

exercise.png

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Interesting thoughts on this stretching thing. Seems like we are a mixed bunch with respect to it.