Anyone else here trying to grow their hips?

Options

Replies

• Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I was shocked, after years of having an hourglass figure, to discover I genetically had hip dips under that fat.

I love them.

me too!! never knew I had them until I lost the weight and they came out!!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    OK. I'm confused. Obviously it's an aesthetic decision, but why would you *want* larger hips?

So I can squat heavier weight easier.

You'd also get the added bonus of having jeans fit your waist and quads! (Most all men that are muscular have this problem, I'm just assuming you do to).

My quads aren't as much a prob since I'm a low bar squatter so my quads get a touch less work than if I was a high bar'.

You are correct, my challenge is finding jeans that fit my glutes, hips, adducters, and upper thighs for how tall I am.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I never heard of hip dips until this post...ya learn something new every day!!!

Now that I have looked into them, I definitely have them...and I looked into a list of exercises to lessen them and they are the things I already do, so I don't think mine can be exercised away!!!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I feel like I am being quoted as having a problem with hip dips. IDGAF about them, to be clear. I was only answering the question of what they are.
  • czmiles926
    czmiles926 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I've always had a very scrawny and boyish figure. I just want to get more curvy figure in general. I'm not just working on my hips: I'm working on my arms, core and butt as well.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    czmiles926 wrote: »
    I've always had a very scrawny and boyish figure. I just want to get more curvy figure in general. I'm not just working on my hips: I'm working on my arms, core and butt as well.

What are your stats? Do you still have weight to lose? I would definitely follow a progressive lifting program, one focusing on the lower body/glutes like Strong Curves is a popular one
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I feel like I am being quoted as having a problem with hip dips. IDGAF about them, to be clear. I was only answering the question of what they are.

Sorry! I didn't mean to imply that about you. It seems to be me who was unclear.
  • hanksmom79
    hanksmom79 Posts: 85 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Also had to google what "hip dips" were...luckily, this was the first article I opened
    http://www.blogilates.com/blog/2017/07/10/do-you-have-a-hip-dip/
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

Well, there's not really a muscle in the "hip dip" area so it can't really get larger. Your best bet is to strength train and slim your waist so your hips appear fuller. However there are some extremely fit women who are just naturally straight waisted. Look at Anna Renderer from PopSugar, she's incredibly fit, does everything, and has narrow hips.

The only practical way I know of to get that curve is to stand like you were on the red carpet with one foot crossed in front of the other. Voila, problem solved.
  • czmiles926
    czmiles926 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

What are your stats? Do you still have weight to lose? I would definitely follow a progressive lifting program, one focusing on the lower body/glutes like Strong Curves is a popular one

5,4" and 108 pounds
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    It's just how our bodies are built despite all of the photoshopped images of women splashed everywhere which might make one think otherwise. Embrace your figure and exercise for health/happiness if you want to/are able. Don't sweat the small stuff :)
  • sugarstrawberries
    sugarstrawberries Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    OK. I'm confused. Obviously it's an aesthetic decision, but why would you *want* larger hips?

So I can squat heavier weight easier.

You'd also get the added bonus of having jeans fit your waist and quads! (Most all men that are muscular have this problem, I'm just assuming you do to).

I found out about this problem when my coworker oh-so-casually mentioned that he couldn't find jeans to fit his tight *kitten*. "They just split open because my quads are so big!"
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

5,4" and 108 pounds

Oh so you definitely do not want to lose more weight.

Depending on your bodyfat % I would either eat at maintenance and recomp or perhaps consider a bulk (eating in surplus) to grow
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Well I never knew about this thing and now that I have lost weight I have them. I was wondering what it was all about I used to have a full hip area. Now I know ... and knowledge is power!
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I never heard of hip dips until this post...ya learn something new every day!!!

Now that I have looked into them, I definitely have them...and I looked into a list of exercises to lessen them and they are the things I already do, so I don't think mine can be exercised away!!!

I have always had them regardless of weight or exercise. I used to be very self-conscious of them (and more self-conscious in general). Only one person, my ex husband, has ever remarked negatively on how I'm shaped (tells you one reason why he's now "ex").

Now I kind of like them or at least accept them as part of who I am and how I'm shaped. :smile: