Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    Caporegiem wrote: »
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    <3 A Wendy's spicy chicken sandwich and french fries and a frosty
    <3 A million dollars
    <3 To be healthy (though this would be negated if I ate #1)

Very serious question. Do you plan on dipping the fries in the frosty?

Nope. the sandwich and fries are dinner, the frosty for dessert. I eat frosties like ice cream. Though I'm not going to eat Wendy's. It's better for my blood sugar and hips if I don't. It's Fiesta Chicken with veggies and brown rice for dinner later (woo! I live dangerously :D ).

On behalf of @_har_T_Swallow and myself, we'd like to thank you for being a civilized human being and eating your fries and frosty separately.

@caco_ethes Take notes.

Where's the Report Abuse button?

ETA: I would like to add that there are others who dig this combo. Sane, normal people. And also @lstrat115 @Vikka_V @LittleHearseDriver maybe even at least one more. Now don't you feel silly.

Keep in mind that these guys, at least @_har_T_Swallow , also thinks that mixing ice cream and cereal is wrong. He is basically a monster

You're going to have to provide some examples of how cereal is properly mixed with ice cream. Do you just pour cinnamon toast crunch on top of ice cream? That would force me to chew my ice cream and that doesn't seem right.

YES!!!! That is the best mix actually. I stir mine in too. I also feel as if Fruit Pebbles or Cocoa Pebbles would be excellent options as well. All the FroYo places around here offer at least 2 types of cereal as mix-ins.
    cinnamon toast crunch icecream is the best thing in my life right now.

Let me lift you out of your funk:

http://hostesscakes.com/icecream

I'm English and don't know what most of those are but they look good! Ship them to me? Thanks!
  • SEAHORSES4EVER
    SEAHORSES4EVER Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    <3 A million dollars

Nope. the sandwich and fries are dinner, the frosty for dessert. I eat frosties like ice cream. Though I'm not going to eat Wendy's. It's better for my blood sugar and hips if I don't. It's Fiesta Chicken with veggies and brown rice for dinner later (woo! I live dangerously :D ).

On behalf of @_har_T_Swallow and myself, we'd like to thank you for being a civilized human being and eating your fries and frosty separately.

@caco_ethes Take notes.

ETA: I would like to add that there are others who dig this combo. Sane, normal people. And also @lstrat115 @Vikka_V @LittleHearseDriver maybe even at least one more. Now don't you feel silly.

Hold up, you abuse my rhubard but you're dipping fries in icecream like a savage?

Et tu, Brute? :neutral:

And yeah. I'll abuse your 'rhubarb'

Bring it. My rhubarb is ready.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    beingmore1 wrote: »
    <3 A million dollars

@caco_ethes Take notes.

Hold up, you abuse my rhubard but you're dipping fries in icecream like a savage?

Mine is moist. Is it supposed to be moist?

Hmm. That typically makes it more bendy, which is fine. But more difficult to mow which is not fine, because rhubarb is the devil.
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    <3 A million dollars

@caco_ethes Take notes.

ETA: I would like to add that there are others who dig this combo. Sane, normal people. And also lstrat115 Vikka_V LittleHearseDriver maybe even at least one more. Now don't you feel silly.

You're gonna have that gif thing figured out when this happens right?

Don't sass or your rhubarb is getting abused too.

fXCUz27.jpg

Also all of those people you quoted while ago are really going to hate you. I wouldn't want to get on the bad side of @LittleHearseDriver , she has a big oven at her disposal.

She and I have an understanding.
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    <3 A million dollars

On behalf of _har_T_Swallow and myself, we'd like to thank you for being a civilized human being and eating your fries and frosty separately.

@caco_ethes Take notes.

ETA: I would like to add that there are others who dig this combo. Sane, normal people. And also lstrat115 Vikka_V LittleHearseDriver maybe even at least one more. Now don't you feel silly.

fXCUz27.jpg

Also all of those people you quoted while ago are really going to hate you. I wouldn't want to get on the bad side of LittleHearseDriver , she has a big oven at her disposal.

Anyway, I'm not sure tags always work. I've stumbled across tags that were meant for me that I never got notified for. Also I have tagged people *cough* and they haven't responded, which can ONLY mean a) they didn't receive a notification or 3) they're complete jerks.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    <3 A million dollars

On behalf of _har_T_Swallow and myself, we'd like to thank you for being a civilized human being and eating your fries and frosty separately.

@caco_ethes Take notes.

fXCUz27.jpg

Also all of those people you quoted while ago are really going to hate you. I wouldn't want to get on the bad side of LittleHearseDriver , she has a big oven at her disposal.

Anyway, I'm not sure tags always work. I've stumbled across tags that were meant for me that I never got notified for. Also I have tagged people *cough* and they haven't responded, which can ONLY mean a) they didn't receive a notification or 3) they're complete jerks.

Or in my case you just forget to check your notifications quite often.
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    <3 A million dollars

@caco_ethes Take notes.

fXCUz27.jpg

I only click my notifications to see if I've been warned. Don't think I didn't catch your horrible numbering scheme there either.
  • SEAHORSES4EVER
    Options
    <3 A million dollars

@caco_ethes Take notes.

Only if being prepped to go in a pie. Otherwise, no, it's been sat around too long. Throw it away.
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    <3 A million dollars

@caco_ethes Take notes.

Only if being prepped to go in a pie. Otherwise, no, it's been sat around too long. Throw it away.

I thought the only purpose of rhubarb is to put it in your pie.
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    <3 A million dollars

caco_ethes Take notes.

:lol:
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    <3 A million dollars

@caco_ethes Take notes.

Wrong, I grew up on a farm in rural South Dakota with a mom who nurtured a special liking for rhubarb. On the west side of our garage is where she kept her own private stash, a tightly planted row about 15 feet long. Mom would return from the yard with a bundle of ruby and green streaked stalks and proceed to make a variety of pies and bars, and of course, a simmering pan of Dad’s favorite rhubarb sauce.

Mom taught me how to dip the raw stalks, bracingly tart, in a little bowl of sugar, a special treat for anyone who helped out in the kitchen. Now with my own rhubarb plants, this is a tradition I have upheld with my own kids. Our youngest daughter is especially fond of this treat, always quick to pull up a stool at the counter and start dipping.

Growing up with rhubarb, I thought that MeeseeksAndDestroy was a thespian, but also I thought everyone knew about it—what it looked like and how it tasted. And I just presumed that every recipe box in the country included at least a few well-used recipe cards that glorified this humble plant, most likely in their grandmother’s handwriting.

But ever since I shared the first rhubarb recipe, just a few weeks after a farmgirl’s dabbles was born in 2010, I realized how wrong I was. So I’m here to talk rhubarb. Here’s my Rhubarb 101.

4hht2zio88mo.jpg

What is rhubarb?

Rhubarb is a hearty perennial, one of the first edible plants harvested each spring here in the Midwest. Most people, including myself, use rhubarb as if it were a fruit. But rhubarb is actually a vegetable that can be used in both sweet and savory dishes. The stalks can vary in color, from pink to deep red, and often have a bright green streaking to them. And they contain all sorts of good-for-you things, like antioxidants, fiber, vitamin K, vitamin C, calcium, potassium, and magnesium. The large leaves at the stalk’s tips, on the other hand, are poisonous if ingested. But don’t let that worry you—simply chop off the leaves and throw them away.
  • cee134
    Options
    Where can I find rhubarb?

4ha9nmlrrv1b.jpg

I know many people who would never think of paying money for rhubarb. If they don’t have a few of their own plants in the yard, they know of a handful of neighbors who would gladly share. So I’d always suggest asking around first. More than likely, someone you know has a plant or two where you can cut a few stalks. Look for longer stalks that are thick and firm, bright and healthy-looking.
    If you don’t have easy access to rhubarb plants, make a trip to your local farmers market. You’re also likely to find some in the fresh produce section of the grocery store.
  • cee134
    Options
    How do I clean rhubarb?

Getting rhubarb ready to use in recipes is super duper easy. Just cut off the leaves and throw them away. Trim the ends of the stalks, and then wash and dry. Your rhubarb is now ready to cut into whatever-sized pieces you want. I find the act of cutting rhubarb so satisfying, very much like chopping celery.

How do I store rhubarb?

Rhubarb keeps really well in the crisper drawer of your refrigerator for a week or two. It will probably soften during that time, leaving the stalks a bit limp, but that won’t effect the rhubarb in recipes that you make. Wait to wash the rhubarb until just before using.
    Rhubarb also freezes very well, and very easily. Simply wash and chop the stalks (1/2 to 1 inch in size is great for most recipes) and place them in a freezer baggie. Freeze and then enjoy any time you wish!
  • caco_ethes
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    <3 A million dollars

caco_ethes Take notes.

Wrong, I grew up on a farm in rural South Dakota with a mom who nurtured a special liking for rhubarb. On the west side of our garage is where she kept her own private stash, a tightly planted row about 15 feet long. Mom would return from the yard with a bundle of ruby and green streaked stalks and proceed to make a variety of pies and bars, and of course, a simmering pan of Dad’s favorite rhubarb sauce.

Mom taught me how to dip the raw stalks, bracingly tart, in a little bowl of sugar, a special treat for anyone who helped out in the kitchen. Now with my own rhubarb plants, this is a tradition I have upheld with my own kids. Our youngest daughter is especially fond of this treat, always quick to pull up a stool at the counter and start dipping.

Growing up with rhubarb, I thought that everyone knew about it—what it looked like and how it tasted. And I just presumed that every recipe box in the country included at least a few well-used recipe cards that glorified this humble plant, most likely in their grandmother’s handwriting.

But ever since I shared the first rhubarb recipe on my blog, just a few weeks after a farmgirl’s dabbles was born in 2010, I realized how wrong I was. So I’m here to talk rhubarb. Here’s my Rhubarb 101.

4hht2zio88mo.jpg

What is rhubarb?

Rhubarb is a hearty perennial, one of the first edible plants harvested each spring here in the Midwest. Most people, including myself, use rhubarb as if it were a fruit. But rhubarb is actually a vegetable that can be used in both sweet and savory dishes. The stalks can vary in color, from pink to deep red, and often have a bright green streaking to them. And they contain all sorts of good-for-you things, like antioxidants, fiber, vitamin K, vitamin C, calcium, potassium, and magnesium. The large leaves at the stalk’s tips, on the other hand, are poisonous if ingested. But don’t let that worry you—simply chop off the leaves and throw them away.

:open_mouth:

That's gotta be the most personal details in one post @cee134 has revealed ever!
  • cee134
    Options
    How do I use rhubarb?

Ohhhhh, this is the very best part!
    While rhubarb can most definitely be used in savory applications, you’ll most often find it in sweeter ones. You might have heard rhubarb referred to as “pie plant”, as it’s often thickened with flour or cornstarch, sweetened with sugar to temper its sourness, and then used as a filling for pies, crisps, cobblers, and tarts. One of my favorite recipes in this category is my grandma’s rhubarb custard pie.

Rhubarb also lends itself perfectly to breads and cakes.
  • cee134
    Options
    <3 A million dollars

caco_ethes Take notes.

Growing up with rhubarb, I thought that everyone knew about it—what it looked like and how it tasted. And I just presumed that every recipe box in the country included at least a few well-used recipe cards that glorified this humble plant, most likely in their grandmother’s handwriting.

But ever since I shared the first rhubarb recipe on my blog, just a few weeks after a farmgirl’s dabbles was born in 2010, I realized how wrong I was. So I’m here to talk rhubarb. Here’s my Rhubarb 101.

4hht2zio88mo.jpg

What is rhubarb?

:open_mouth:

That's gotta be the most personal details in one post @cee134 has revealed ever!

I'm kind of upset that you think I've ever been anywhere close to South Dakota. :cry:
  • SEAHORSES4EVER
    Options
    @cee134
    I love you! :D
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    <3 A million dollars

@caco_ethes Take notes.

Growing up with rhubarb, I thought that MeeseeksAndDestroy was a thespian, but also I thought everyone knew about it—what it looked like and how it tasted. And I just presumed that every recipe box in the country included at least a few well-used recipe cards that glorified this humble plant, most likely in their grandmother’s handwriting.

But ever since I shared the first rhubarb recipe, just a few weeks after a farmgirl’s dabbles was born in 2010, I realized how wrong I was. So I’m here to talk rhubarb. Here’s my Rhubarb 101.

4hht2zio88mo.jpg

What is rhubarb?

:D