I cannot stop reading this guys website!

Options

Replies

• Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I've enjoyed reading this since this post was done. Like the guy. A little coarse for my taste (I probably won't "share" on Facebook), but funny. I also like the fact that this anti-intellectual dude footnotes a bunch of his articles.

Really liked this one on fluctuations. physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/
  • SFJULES66
    SFJULES66 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. I'm hooked.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »
    what kind of anti-intellectual garbage leads people to believe that "book learnin" and real world experience are mutually exclusive? oh right. America.

Thank you, my husband is 25 plus years construction, he has no degree but I can d@mn well guarantee that he knows the same if not more than 30 plus year guys with a degree, and that's what they themselves tell him when they are asking for help. I feel sorry for someone that feels they can't learn something that counts all by there lonesome.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Had me lol'n on the fat loss...
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I am enjoying these :D
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Totally thought this was going to be woo or someone promoting something. Thanks for proving me wrong! Freaking hilarious!!!!
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »
    Totally thought this was going to be woo or someone promoting something. Thanks for proving me wrong! Freaking hilarious!!!!

Thanks for taking the chance ;)
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I'm now totally stalking Aadam. (FB, IG, email)

I'm already a huge fan of James Fell and The Oatmeal, and this guy does artwork too!

That link again for those who didn't click it on the first page:

http://physiqonomics.com/articles/

ETA: What's with the intellectual snobbery that says someone can't be funny, creative, AND scientific? :smiley:

Right!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    jospen83 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    what kind of anti-intellectual garbage leads people to believe that "book learnin" and real world experience are mutually exclusive? oh right. America.

Thank you, my husband is 25 plus years construction, he has no degree but I can d@mn well guarantee that he knows the same if not more than 30 plus year guys with a degree, and that's what they themselves tell him when they are asking for help. I feel sorry for someone that feels they can't learn something that counts all by there lonesome.

Your husband has extensive experience in his area of expertise, so I'm sure he is very knowledgeable and I would consider him an expert.

I was curious what the blog author's background is. I looked on his site and he purposely says he does't like bios so he didn't put one out there. Could it be he doesn't have much experience and/or education in the field?

That's great if people like him, think he's funny, etc. Maybe that is why there is so much faux news in the US though, people are more worried about theatrics vs substance and no vetting of sources.

As I mentioned earlier, I looked at a few of the articles and they seem reasonable, but it also looks like he plagiarized quite a bit.

Take a look at the websites of a few of the guys I follow. Funny and willing to share their backgrounds, give credit to the ideas of others and generally recognized as some of the top trainers in the world.

Tony Gentilecore:
    http://tonygentilcore.com/

Dean Sommerset:
    http://deansomerset.com/

Not necessarily "funny" but a great IMO writing style:
    http://danjohn.net/

Lol...really?

That's exactly it. The reason for that is people enjoying different kinds of humor and writing styles and using their own informed judgment in forming their opinion. To combat that, we need a list of things we are allowed to enjoy.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Packerjohn, please provide us with evidence of this "plagiarism".
  • Bluetail6
    Bluetail6 Posts: 2,881 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!!
  • Grimmerick
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Your husband has extensive experience in his area of expertise, so I'm sure he is very knowledgeable and I would consider him an expert.

I was curious what the blog author's background is. I looked on his site and he purposely says he does't like bios so he didn't put one out there. Could it be he doesn't have much experience and/or education in the field?

That's great if people like him, think he's funny, etc. Maybe that is why there is so much faux news in the US though, people are more worried about theatrics vs substance and no vetting of sources.

As I mentioned earlier, I looked at a few of the articles and they seem reasonable, but it also looks like he plagiarized quite a bit.

Take a look at the websites of a few of the guys I follow. Funny and willing to share their backgrounds, give credit to the ideas of others and generally recognized as some of the top trainers in the world.

Tony Gentilecore:
    http://tonygentilcore.com/

Dean Sommerset:
    http://deansomerset.com/

Not necessarily "funny" but a great IMO writing style:
    http://danjohn.net/

I will check these guys out as well thank you. I think what is so drawing about his writing style is the fact that he took some pretty dry material and broke it down making it funny and easier to understand (hell he even explains about the machines invented to study the calorie and made it funny and interesting), for some of us that this isn't our everyday language it is very helpful not to have to read boring dry studies/articles with half the words we have to stop and look up because that isn't our lane and people that don't know how to break things down for others that don't share that knowledge/expertise (talking over someones head does not help educate them very well and I think personally makes one a lousy educator). So even if he isn't a complete expert in the field with dozens years of experience he still reads, understands, and breaks it down in a way a lot of others don't and all while making you laugh....and I will always appreciate that kind of talent. As far as plagiarism goes.....innocent until proven guilty...even after that I really wouldn't give it much thought, sorry but I guess that's one of those things that bothers some more than others and I am on the latter end of that.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I love this guy! It's a great resource!