September 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    WTF?? 99 new messages? I've only been away for a day.

9/1/17 - travel to Vegas. Delayed flight. Nightmare. Eventually got to hotel at midnight. No run today.
    9/2/17 - 12 mile hike in Red Rock Canyon. Awesome.

The scenic drive round the canyon is around 13 miles. My first thought was, ooh, wonder if they do a half-marathon? And they do! So very tempted to sign up next year.

O? Seriously? When? I have family out that way, might make the trip to run that.

• ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Man, only day 2 of September and I'm already so far behind on posts!!!
    @Orphia gosh those are the best race photos I've ever seen. Especially the handstand one! Nicely done :wink:
    @MobyCarp ice beards are too hard core! Also very sorry to hear that you are injured, I hope the PTT recovers quickly
    @_nikkiwolf_ thanks for the kind welcome back! It's nice to be remembered :smile:

September Running
    09/01: Off, rest day
    09/02: 4.02 mile easy run + 30 min biking
    Total: 4.02 miles

Notes:
    Just an easy 4 miler this afternoon, followed by 30 minutes on the spin bike to keep the HR up a little longer. The run felt nice and easy, but my average pace was 9:12 which is probably a little faster than "true" easy for me. Always seems to happen after a rest day! My left calf feels a bit tight, so I'll be rolling it tonight and might do an ice massage too. The main event this weekend though is a 20 miler tomorrow, my first time running so far! I have done 18 miles twice though so I don't feel too worried about the distance. I'm using it as a dress rehearsal for my upcoming marathon, so I'll be wearing what I plan to wear for the race, as well as adhering strictly to my race-day fueling strategy (breakfast of bagel with honey banana and PB, GU every 45 minutes during the run, and an electrolyte tablet every 30 minutes). I've been using the GUs for all my long runs, and have only had one "adverse reaction" to them so I think it should be pretty safe. The electrolyte tablets are new as of last weekend's long run though, because I noticed I was losing a TON of salt in my sweat and getting intense salt cravings towards the end of long runs (sometimes I even start licking salt off my arms!! :unamused: ) which makes me think I haven't been adequately replacing it with just the GU. We'll see how they do!

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    - Chicago Marathon, 10/08/17
    - Space Coast Half Marathon, 11/26/17
    - Excalibur 10 Miler, 03/18/18
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    9/2 - 1 mile run, 2 mile walk
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Will update the ticker when at computer, but did 13.18 miles today. More walking than running. Really struggled with low BG's, and it seems much of the time, I was in the 40's mg/dl despite eating a whole lot of glucose tablets. Also having major electrolyte depletion issues, despite having 3 electrolyte tablets beforehand. :(
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    No run today, it was too hot overnight and nearly 80 this morning. I held off because tomorrow morning was supposed to be cooler. Now they are saying it is going to be even warmer... I am now planning a short run alone (too hot for Hobbes and we have an agility trial again tomorrow), then a long run hopefully on Monday morning. Somewhere, not tomorrow, I will fit in a HIIT run.
    It was 104 today at the agility trial and Hobbes, along with many other dogs, was absolutely uninterested in running and jumping over anything.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »
    2 days in and 6 pages. I'm in for 168+ again.

So good to see some ol' friends, @greenolivetree and @OSUbuckeye906 and @ROBOTFOOD of course.

Good luck this month!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,394 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    @HonuNui -love the pheasants! Both of their coloring is so beautiful, but I especially like the browns on the female - just gorgeous!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    My marathon recovery plan calls for 20 minutes of running tomorrow.

https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/payback-time-a-two-week-scientific-plan-to-optimize-recovery-after-your-marathon/

Will try to be good and stick to that. Feeling good.

Wow. Good luck with that. I could never go that slow through recovery. It is probably way smarter than how I did it though. :lol:
  • BrianAWeber
    BrianAWeber Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm going to give this a go. Mostly been walking lately trying to scale some weight off before starting running. I'm going to try for 75 miles of running this month. Mostly did brisk walking last month.
  • BrianAWeber
    BrianAWeber Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person that didn't know this?

Heel Lock
  • WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Checking in so I'm not so far behind on posts later. Today called for 60 minutes cross training. Did an hour on the stationary bike.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    9/2: 2.6
    9/3: 2.2

Total 4.8 / 50.0

I really prefer longer runs, but that's got to be a mental thing, and what fixes mental things is doing more of what you don't like.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @JessicaMcB WOW!! That is a gnarly blister/foot/injury! At first I just saw the peely toes and I was like "Oh yeah, I get that all the time, my feet are also disgusting" and then I scrolled further. Does it hurt to walk/run on? It looks like it would be a monster!
  • anitamistry1
    anitamistry1 Posts: 44 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

Heel Lock

No I didn't know either. I'm going to try this and see if it helps. My right foot always moves about (I have odd feet :D ) and thank you for posting this.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

Heel Lock

There are a few good ways to lace your shoes. I've just gotten where I never untie them :smiley:

The ladder system is also a good way. I think it takes more patience than I have. Since, I'm into the slip on/off system now using the heel lick lock lacing. (Jeez auto correct)