September 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Runningmischka
    Runningmischka Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent The Mist born series is amazing! I only read the first book, but it was fantastic. I have the whole series on my kindle (thanks to my husband who read just about every fantasy book out there), so one day I'll get back to this series. My problem with reading - I like too many genres :) There is never enough time to read them all!

@zdyb23456 aren't you up for a treat?! The original series is called "A Song of Ice and Fire", in case you are interested in reading it. The book series is not finished though and now the show is ahead of the books. Have fun!

@ctlaws44 oh I can relate to that. I live in a gated community with no sidewalk anywhere. For the most time, people slow down or move to the other lane for runners and walkers. But it takes one jerk to piss you off ...
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    9/4 - 2.25 mi walk, 1 mile run (ran whole mile without stopping :p )

@Elise4270 It still feels like 90 here after 7pm! I opted for evening bc this morning was 70 with 96% humidity:( at least only 50% humidity for evening.

It was 95 today when I got out. I have no clue why I'm not acclimated yet. I was heat sick. And allergies are horrible, my ears are so stuffy. Just a miserable run. 50° tomorrow you say? Be 60 here.

Dontcha just hate that hard kitten run after your runs have been so enjoyable?

The ragweed has me sneezing and itching. I mostly avoided being outside all summer so I'm definitely not heat acclimated. I don't know how soon the cool front will arrive but 50 by Wednesday morning. Woohoo!
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    September 1 – 0.0 miles Camp Gladiator
    September 2 – 5.5 miles Intervals
    September 3 – 0.0 miles Rest
    September 4 – 4.0 miles and Camp Gladiator & Kayaking

Total miles 9.5/100

Upcoming Races:
    September 16 – Samoa Challenge (Thin Mint Sprint 5K and a Tagalong Trot 1 mile), Safety Harbor, FL
    October 1 – Ft. DeSoto 5K, Race #1 of the Triple Crown
    October 29 – Ft. DeSoto Halloween 5K, Race #2 of the Triple Crown
    November 18 – Insane Inflatable 5K Obstacle Run, Tampa, FL
    November 19 – St. Pete Runfest Half Marathon
    December 9 – Terrain Race, Tampa, 3-5 miles, 20 obstacles
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    As for what I listen to while I run: I just finished "Alloy of Law" by Branden Sanderson (From the Mist born series, probably the best fantasy series by a modern I have ever read - and I write fantasy. :) )

I am starting Wrinkle in Time because my son has to do a report on it. Figure I can at least have some exposure to it in case he needs help. I read it many decades ago, but do not recall much now.

@amymoreorless @girlinahat : Forgot about Libraries. I live near a large city so we probably have one. I should check in to that. I go through audiobooks like candy. Be good to have a source for when I am out of credits at Audible.

@PastorVincent As an author, you should definitely check out your local public library. We have a local author spotlight shelf in our library. We also have a well attended local author book fair / event every year.

Can you tell I am library fan girl? :)

PS: They are making a movie of A Wrinkle in Time. My favorite childhood book! So excited......!

Actually, and sadly, in my experience libraries have been very cold to "local authors" who do not have a big name company behind them. I wish it was other wise, but it is what it is.

And yes, heard about the movie. I am a bit concerned. They probably will wreck it like they did with Ms. Perigrins Peculiar Children. :( I will still probably go see it though. Cause I am a sucker. :lol:
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @PastorVincent The Mist born series is amazing! I only read the first book, but it was fantastic. I have the whole series on my kindle (thanks to my husband who read just about every fantasy book out there), so one day I'll get back to this series. My problem with reading - I like too many genres :) There is never enough time to read them all!

I love many genres too, but I tend to work through a series when I start one, especially one as awesome as Mist born! :smiley: I am on my second trip through it actually. My wife started reading it so I am reading through it with her.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Not sure about my run tomorrow. I think might be pushing too hard with this cold. My run today was planned to be 15 miles, but I struggled to finish 9 miles at a full min per min slower that planed. Pretty annoyed about it really. Things had been going so well with my runs lately. Felt like I was making progress. Ah well.
  • JimCrackinDandy
    JimCrackinDandy Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Maybe take a good rest day @PastorVincent Sorry to hear about you being sick and I totally understand the heartache of the apparent loss the progress in speed. Of course you won't lose fitness for a short rest and you may increase your strength if you take a rest day. Plus it's supposed to rain tomorrow. ;)

August goal 90
    11.5 today
    16.5/90
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Not sure about my run tomorrow. I think might be pushing too hard with this cold. My run today was planned to be 15 miles, but I struggled to finish 9 miles at a full min per min slower that planed. Pretty annoyed about it really. Things had been going so well with my runs lately. Felt like I was making progress. Ah well.

I had the same experience today. Heat got me and I'm fighting this seasonal allergy nonsense. It's down right depressing. Hope you feel better soon.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

#5: Delaying Post-Run Food... hell, yeah!

I nearly killed somebody and/or passed out while waiting an hour at a restaurant just after I'd done 27 km!

I was not fun company!!
  • tweekedgirl
    tweekedgirl Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Got out this morning despite the rain and added on another 5k to my overall mileage :)
    My planned October race is now fully booked, so looking for a replacement!

01/09 - 3.67 miles
    03/09 - 6.19 miles
    05/09 - 3.39 miles

Total 13.24/45 miles

Upcoming races:

19/11 - Movember 10k
    26/11 - Wilmslow 10k

exercise.png
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Elliptical workout

exercise.png

• __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    9/3 & 4: rest
    9/5: 5k test = 29:42
    Total: 9 of 65 miles

2017 Goal: Beat 20-yr-old PR (29:32)
    *Oct: Apple Harvest 5k
    *Nov: Movember 5k
    *Dec: Mitten Run 5k

I need to shave off 10 more seconds in just under a month to reach my goal. I started off way too fast and then faded. Splits were 9:20, 9:36, 9:46. Will practice pacing.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options

Today's nites: Got up for 8 miles doign repeats on the ski hills. Felt good, and at almost 1600 feet elevation, it was a good workout, and I managed to keep average pace under 12min/mile, so my uphills couldn't have been too slow.

@MNLittleFinn maybe your downhills are just getting faster ha ha Only kiddding ya, great work out!
  • WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    My alarm didn't go off this morning. I'll have to get my run in this afternoon. The weather reports say either rain or rain and Thunderstorms. Urgh. This is the Mondayest Tuesday I've had in a while!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I didn't notice anything until today, but I may have sprained my ankle either yesterday (hiking) or Sat. (trail running). With a HM coming up on Sat., I wasn't planning to taper... but I might make some taper into my plan this week because of that ankle. :(