Aspartame in diet sodas causes diabets and weight gain?!

Replies

• I drink diet soda regularly, in fact I've had 2 1/2 cups today, but yet I have very little appetite. And as an added bonus, lost 3 lbs this week! =)
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Meelisv wrote: »
    I actually did think about that theory. One thing i did, when i first started my weight loss, was to switch from regular Coke to Zero. After losing quite a lot of weight successfully, i thought that perhaps dropping it completely will help with reducing carvings. Tried that for month, got opposite result. Clearly in my case artificially sweetened zero calorie drinks help my brain to deal with sugar cravings better

Me to
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    There is one interesting statistic. People that choose to drink water instead of diet sodas tend to weigh less. Why? We may never know. I read it in Prevention Magazine. I'm not going to spend the time looking it up.
    The correlation is that people that drink water instead likely also eat less calorie dense foods. Neither cause weight gain since calories are what matter for weight gain.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,554 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    mathjulz wrote: »
    I know there is a lot of information out there saying it is ok and other information saying it isnt. I chose not to consume artificial sweeteners because I personally believe extensively processed foods arent as healthy.
    I dont think it necessarily effects weight loss although I read somewhere that artificial sweeteners screw with our perception of what sweet tastes like since they are so much sweeter than say fruit sugar.

I just don't understand this mindset that processing is inherently bad, that something otherwise ok (or good) becomes bad simply because of processing.

I get that some types of processing can be less idea than others. But saying it's bad simply because it is processed doesn't make sense.

She said "extensively processed" which could be equivalent to the Brazilian government's Ultra Processed: http://189.28.128.100/dab/docs/portaldab/publicacoes/guia_alimentar_populacao_ingles.pdf

They have different recommendations based on:

1. Natural/minimally processed
    2. Processed
    3. Ultra processed

Here's a decent summary/discussion of the Brazilian recommendations: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2016/01/the-brazilian-guide-to-food-and-life/422301/

I don't eat flavored yogurts much -- I prefer to use plain yogurt as a vehicle for berries or other fruit. However, I think it's interesting that sweetened/flavored yogurts are considered an ultra processed food because unbalanced and people will overeat, and the recommendation is "don't consume." I suspect that flavored yogurts are a food that most can consume in moderation and work easily into a balanced diet.

A lot of the things about the Brazilian recommendations are consistent with how I eat, but are they necessary to have a healthy diet? I'm skeptical.

I'm also not sure what instant noodles are, but the idea that they are bad because unbalanced seems questionable to me too (and they are specifically a food called out). I can make a VERY balanced, healthy meal with pasta (presumably about the same as an instant noodle in nutritional content) plus shrimp or some other lean meat and lots of vegetables, plus some olive oil. That was a staple when I was losing.

Also, the recommended breakfast doesn't seem consistent to me with the recommendation to eat processed (not ultra processed) foods only sparingly.

Thanks for the link!

I thought the problem with instant noodles was going to be the flavor package, but apparently, preliminary studies show that instant noodles break down differently than regular.

Presumably there are links to the actual studies in the articles for those who are interested in that. I'm just hearing about this and am not yet taking a position one way or the other.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/nutrition/the-harmful-effects-of-instant-ramen-noodles/ar-AAof5H0

..The high sodium content in instant noodle products is obvious, but the main culprit is the noodles themselves. In another study by Dr. Braden Kuo, director of the gastrointestinal motility laboratory at Massachusetts General Hospital at Harvard University, the doctor found unsettling results after testing digestion of the noodles. He used a tiny camera to study the breakdown of instant ramen noodles in the stomach and found out just how difficult it is for your body to digest the preservative-filled noodles. Warning: the photos are graphic. A preservative called TBHQ, which is found in many processed foods including Reese's and Chicken McNuggets, extends shelf life of fatty foods and makes them harder to digest. It's one of the many ingredients in Maruchan Chicken Ramen...

http://college.usatoday.com/2012/06/23/breaking-down-ramen-noodles-literally/

...“The most striking thing during the time intervals of two, four and six hours was the degree of breakdown of Ramen noodles,” Kuo said. “At two and four hours, the particular size of the Ramen noodle was much larger or formed than the homemade Ramen noodle at each of those time points, suggesting Ramen noodles were difficult to break down into extremely infinite particulate matter during the process of digestion.”

A video released on the study at TEDxManhattan’s “Changing the Way We Eat” has since gone viral and prompted discussion among researchers, nutritionists, physicians and Ramen noodle consumers...

Are you describing a feature or a bug?

If I were trying to minimise the number of calories I eat... why would I NOT want my food to take longer to digest?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    missh1967 wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Rogus1 wrote: »
    Just read this yesterday:

Is Diet Soda Actually Bad For You?
    Here's what the experts have to say about diet soda
    BY NINA BAHADUR FOR WOMEN’S HEALTH September 6, 2017

Diet soda may seem like a fairly harmless treat. After all, it's low-calorie and not sweetened with sugar! But experts are worried about the chemicals present in diet soda, as well as studies linking it to health problems. Which begs the question: Is diet soda bad for you?
    Turns out, there's not a huge consensus on the topic. For some experts, diet soda is just not worth it. "Just get rid of it," Keri Glassman, R.D.N., advises. "It is filled with unhealthy chemicals, including artificial sweeteners, which actually make you crave more calories later." Glassman notes that diet drinks are linked to weight gain, increased blood pressure, and diabetes.

But Cara Harbstreet, R.D., of Street Smart Nutrition thinks the issue is a bit more nuanced. She points out that a lot of the research is self-reported by participants, so it may not be completely accurate. Plus, she says that observational studies can't establish a distinct "cause and effect" relationship. "Consumers of diet soda who engage in other lifestyle behaviors associated with poor health outcomes are at a greater risk than those who balance their intake of diet soda with other healthful habits," she says. Variables at play, she says, include being sedentary versus being active, tobacco and alcohol use, and more. "The variables make it difficult to pinpoint whether diet soda consumption alone is the cause of negative health outcomes, or whether it’s the culmination of a number of factors," she says. "I lean towards the latter, since nothing in nutrition or health exists in a vacuum."

Harbstreet says that many of her clients struggle to give up carbonated beverages entirely, because who doesn't love bubbles? "Choosing to drink (or eat) any one specific item is always a deeply personal choice," Harbstreet says. "So I pose the question, which is the lesser of two evils? You always have a choice and in this case it comes down to whether you’d rather have a small amount of artificial sweetener in your drink or a high amount of refined and added sugar." For those looking to cut down, she recommends taking a few steps like switching to seltzer or no longer keeping soda in the house, but ordering it at a restaurant or bar. (Kick-start your new, healthy routine with Women's Health's 12-Week Total-Body Transformation!)

Harbstreet also encourages her clients to look at the bigger picture, and keep everything they consume in context. "A single ingredient or food doesn’t have the ability to completely derail an otherwise balanced and nourishing way of eating," she says. "So if they want to indulge from time to time, I support that. After all, I do that myself!"
    The bottom line: Diet soda consumption is linked to some pretty serious health problems. But if it's your go-to indulgence, it's not the end of the world—especially if you're otherwise engaged in healthy lifestyle choices.

IMO, I would never take the advice from a magazine. And if anything, I would much rather take the advice of a PhD over a RD.

https://youtu.be/Dod6bUZYz4w

ps - those unhealthy chemicals are a dipeptide of amino acids.

Unfortunately, just like there are bad PhDs, there are bad RDs. I was just at a cardiac symposium and one of the speakers was an RD (with a masters and a lot of experience and up on the research), and she flat-out debunked the "OMGWTFBBQ!!! DIET SODA IS BAD FOR YOU" mentality. It was awesome.

I always say, you cant fix crazy.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    cmtigger wrote: »
    My husband used to drink a 2 liter bottle of Mountain Dew a day. Another friend Diet Coke..like nonstop. Neither one was/is overweight but they both developed type 2 Diabetes. When I was in my twenties I drank diet drinks non-stop. I'm 5'10 and weighed 129 lbs at the time. I haven't developed Diabetes but I found out that I was almost prediabetic. I think it's a combination of genetics, activity levels, belly fat and diet. I haven't had soda in two years besides one time taking a sip. I spit it out as there was a very strong chemical taste that I never noticed before. I think anything you overdo can be bad(even exercise!) and have consequences on your health.I would try cutting back and see how you feel

One of my grandmothers drank diet a&w root beer nonstop. The other one didn't. Neither were obese (except the diet root beer one near the end of her life- in her 90's) both were slightly overweight at times though.

The A&W drinking grandmother never had any blood sugar issues. The other one developed type 2 in her 50's. The big difference? The one who developed T2D had many relatives with the disorder, even those with healthy lifestyles.

Perfect example of what research has shown:

The #1 risk factor for T2 diabetes is genetics

(#2 is obesity, then it goes to things like age, if your mother had Gestational diabetes while carrying you, some cancer treatments (especially in childhood), long term use of some medications like statins and certain antidepressants, etc) No where do they say what you eat or drink causes diabetes. How much you eat CAN put you at risk.

Exactly.

I once tried to explain the genetics link to someone and she insisted the only family link was because they learned bad lifestyle choices. She refused to believe that one of the relatives played tennis before breakfast every day, another was an avid sailboat enthusiast, and another worked extra miles of walking into their day. And they are pretty healthy, even if it was bland.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited September 2017
    earlnabby wrote: »
    My husband used to drink a 2 liter bottle of Mountain Dew a day. Another friend Diet Coke..like nonstop. Neither one was/is overweight but they both developed type 2 Diabetes. When I was in my twenties I drank diet drinks non-stop. I'm 5'10 and weighed 129 lbs at the time. I haven't developed Diabetes but I found out that I was almost prediabetic. I think it's a combination of genetics, activity levels, belly fat and diet. I haven't had soda in two years besides one time taking a sip. I spit it out as there was a very strong chemical taste that I never noticed before. I think anything you overdo can be bad(even exercise!) and have consequences on your health.I would try cutting back and see how you feel

One of my grandmothers drank diet a&w root beer nonstop. The other one didn't. Neither were obese (except the diet root beer one near the end of her life- in her 90's) both were slightly overweight at times though.

The A&W drinking grandmother never had any blood sugar issues. The other one developed type 2 in her 50's. The big difference? The one who developed T2D had many relatives with the disorder, even those with healthy lifestyles.

Perfect example of what research has shown:

The #1 risk factor for T2 diabetes is genetics

(#2 is obesity, then it goes to things like age, if your mother had Gestational diabetes while carrying you, some cancer treatments (especially in childhood), long term use of some medications like statins and certain antidepressants, etc) No where do they say what you eat or drink causes diabetes. How much you eat CAN put you at risk.

Exactly.

I once tried to explain the genetics link to someone and she insisted the only family link was because they learned bad lifestyle choices. She refused to believe that one of the relatives played tennis before breakfast every day, another was an avid sailboat enthusiast, and another worked extra miles of walking into their day. And they are pretty healthy, even if it was bland.

Hopefully she doesnt research and find out that certain races/ethnic groups have higher risk; it just might be mind bottling ;)... as do woman.