1200 cal limit and needing buddy help to stick with it

Hi. I've been with MFP for several years, off and on. And now I'm heavier than ever. But, my calorie allotment is the same. I just have trouble maintaining the game plan. I would really like to have some one to who knows what it's like to be obese, I'm 225# and should be about 130# max, but if I could get back to the weight I was when I joined MFP, 180# it would please me.

I noticed a woman also looking for friends with a food goal of 1200 per day. Friends, let's motivate one another!

Replies

• sch1994
    sch1994 Posts: 57 Member
    I have been on here for years, similar situation.. You can add me if you like :)
  • msmith404040
    msmith404040 Posts: 84 Member
    Hello! I'm doing around 1,290 and go up to 1,350 at times right now and it's working fine for me. I'm 5'2" with about 70 pounds to lose. You can do it! I'll friend you.
  • unparalleledAF
    unparalleledAF Posts: 45 Member
    I have more weight to lose than you. Speaking from experience, 1200 calories a day isn't realistic and you will find it difficult to function and keep at a 1200 calorie plan... I tried. I know that that isn't what MFP auto calculated your plan to...it would be around the 1500 range at least, and that's at the max weight per week lost and a sedentary activity level.

This is a life style change and must be something you can stick with for the rest of your life.

I was talking to a RL friend, and it seems that MFP auto calculates everybody to a 1200 calorie diet. I manually overwrote this to 1500/day, and work towards that. It's less of a negative head game than trying to workout like crazy to achieve the necessary deficit, and realistically, it will help me maintain my goal weight when I reach it. There's no way I'm going to go through the rest of my life at 1200 calories per day!
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    it seems that MFP auto calculates everybody to a 1200 calorie diet.
    For smaller people, who say they want to lose 2 lb a week, maybe.
    But it's never done that to me (5'10", over 200# again, grrrr).
    At one point the PA I was working with for weight control suggested 1300, & I thought that was too little.
  • MelodiousMermaid
    MelodiousMermaid Posts: 380 Member
    I'm in a similar situation, as MFP calculated my 2 lb/week amount as 1200 (I'm short). I decided to forego that and do a calorie zig-zag where I set 1225-1250 on all days of the week except Mondays and Thursdays which have a goal of 1950(ish). I recommend seriously considering a few of the ideas people have given and then choose one way to try for 2-4 weeks minimum to see how it works.

If you're interested in more information about what I'm doing, I'll put the URL below so you can check it out. Either way, I wish you the best, and if you'd like to friend me to peak at my diary, etc. (forewarning: some days it's weird!), feel free!
    https://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
  • EvelynMinter1
    EvelynMinter1 Posts: 8 Member
    I'm proud of you. Yep, I'm on the 1200 day cal limit as well. I don't always do quite the goal, but it does encourage me to exercise more to make up for those calories I burn so I can eat... And yep I do. Without maintaining. I know it's best once I turn off my eating at night, and just get my sleep. That puts my body into a routine that helps me to repair. And it also helps my emotional eating when it hits me at my worse.
  • EvelynMinter1
    EvelynMinter1 Posts: 8 Member
    BTW I lost 7 pounds within these past 2 weeks. Persistence. And having buddies, are my goals. :blush:
  • Amanda_B_0213
    Amanda_B_0213 Posts: 7 Member
    edited September 2017
    Hi...I'm Amanda. My Dr has suggested bariatric surgery and I'm not sure yet if that is right for me. So she told me to try 1000-1200 calories a day. Im just beginning my journey so if you're interested in support/motivation...hit me up!

Good luck!
  • ashleyhaaay
    ashleyhaaay Posts: 13 Member
    Hi. I've been with MFP for several years, off and on. And now I'm heavier than ever. But, my calorie allotment is the same. I just have trouble maintaining the game plan. I would really like to have some one to who knows what it's like to be obese, I'm 225# and should be about 130# max, but if I could get back to the weight I was when I joined MFP, 180# it would please me.

I noticed a woman also looking for friends with a food goal of 1200 per day. Friends, let's motivate one another!

1200 is possible if you count macros. Low fat, high protein... my guidelines are

1600 Cals
    140 Grams Carbs
    150 Grams Protein
    40 Grams fat

Work out every day - it's hard to get to 1600 Cals without feeling like I'm force feeding myself so I'm usually closer to 1200 Cals by the end of the day.

You can do it! Good luck.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I have more weight to lose than you. Speaking from experience, 1200 calories a day isn't realistic and you will find it difficult to function and keep at a 1200 calorie plan... I tried. I know that that isn't what MFP auto calculated your plan to...it would be around the 1500 range at least, and that's at the max weight per week lost and a sedentary activity level.

This is a life style change and must be something you can stick with for the rest of your life.

I was talking to a RL friend, and it seems that MFP auto calculates everybody to a 1200 calorie diet. I manually overwrote this to 1500/day, and work towards that. It's less of a negative head game than trying to workout like crazy to achieve the necessary deficit, and realistically, it will help me maintain my goal weight when I reach it. There's no way I'm going to go through the rest of my life at 1200 calories per day!

1200 is "popular" because many people want fast weight loss. Weekly weight loss goal impacts this number. Sure MFP starts out with height, weight, etc.....but then users muck it up by choosing a too aggressive goal.

1200 is BEFORE exercise ......this confuses a great many people. Other calculators include exercise. If you are going to do deliberate exercise......log it and you earn more calories.

1200 is appropriate for a small minority of women who are sedentary AND very petite or elderly women.
  • enyagoboom
    enyagoboom Posts: 377 Member
    I tried 1200 for a week and a half. No thanks, never again. I'm 5'4" and currently at 211lbs and I come in around 1300-1400 a day calories and am still losing weight but without the misery that came with the 1200. I eat back some, but half or less of my exercise calories.

If you are hell bent on 1200, try it for a week. And then try 1300. See if there are differences in your energy and all that too.
  • nathinds
    nathinds Posts: 26 Member
    I'm also on a 1200 calorie plan. Feel free to add me. I am also the heaviest I've been. I'm newly motivated (again, lol) and I try to log my food and activities everyday. Feel free to add me.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    1200 calories may be too aggressive a goal, which is why it's hard to stick to it.

I plugged your stats into scooby's calculator (I estimated height based on your "no more than 130" and assumed female mid 30s). Even if you're mostly sedentary with just moderate workouts 3 times a week, it puts your BMR around 1600 and your TDEE at something like 2200. At a very aggressive 25% calorie reduction, you can lose while eating 1700 calories a day, which comes out at over a pound a week.

Keep in mind this already accounts for exercise calories, so you wouldn't eat them back. But the point is that you can eat a lot more than 1200 and be successful, so maybe that would be your key. Best of luck!
  • mw0212
    mw0212 Posts: 16 Member
    I have been on MFP for years, as well, but this is the first time I've felt really serious. Part of what helped me was to set my calorie limit higher than I really wanted, but at what I knew I could handle. I didn't want to be stressed out or feeling hungry all the time. So far it's working for me and there are days when I eat less than I allow myself but feel ok about it.

Anyone can friend me. Always looking for motivation and support!

PS. I have more to lose than you, as well!
  • natruallycurious
    natruallycurious Posts: 359 Member
    I am also on a 1200 calorie plan, and while my job is sedentary, I workout at least four times a week. The key for me has been finding some foods that are low calorie and high protein, which I have found keep me full longer. For instance, yoplait greek 100 protein yogurt. That and an apple in the morning come out to about 180 calories, and keep me full for much longer than the things like waffles, toast, or sugary cereal I was eating before. Feel free to add me if you'd like! I have my diary open to friends :smile: