What is your take on Saturated Fats and Cholesterol from red meats, dairy etc...

Options
Hi there!

Basically I want peoples opinions on eating red meats, dairy - foods that are high in cholesterol or bad fats - ones that ' supposedly ' increase HDL cholesterol opposed to ones that can help increase LDL or reduce HDL.

I am currently enjoying a refined diet as I used to consume allot of sausages, bacon etc... sort of everyday really or at least 5 times a week as a main meal.

The impression I get from news articles is that we MUST STAY AWAY from red meat and switch to eating chicken and eating less cheese and using less of this and that... how much of this information is true - to what extent should we reduce consumption of foods high in so called ' bad ' fats?

Replies

• rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Arnt saturated fats supposed to be good now?
  • CindyWard2
    CindyWard2 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My grandmother lived by the adage "All things in moderation." She lived to be 92 years old, was completely independent and never spent a night in the hospital until 3 days before she died...even gave birth to her kids at home. I have come to believe it is the secret to all of life.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    A little of everything and a lot of nothing IMO...
  • buffgrl
    buffgrl Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that I feel like CRAP and have NO energy if I don't eat enough saturated fat and cholesterol. On the other hand, if I eat too much it seems to cause inflammation in my skin. I eat 2-3 whole eggs every single day and eat red meat about once per week, butter a few times per week, cheese and ice cream about once per week. I regularly eat peanut butter and a bit of coconut oil which does contain some saturated fat, as well as chicken on a daily basis. Even my cod liver oil has 1g saturated fat in it. I also experience the same thing with Polyunsaturated fats- too much = skin problems, too little = low energy. I think we really just need to eat a wide variety of foods and get a bit of everything in order to have optimal health.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I googled American Heart Association and I found this. Maybe it can help.
    https://healthyforgood.heart.org/Eat-smart/Articles/Saturated-Fats
    The American Heart Association recommends aiming for a dietary pattern that achieves 5% to 6% of calories from saturated fat. For example, if you need about 2,000 calories a day, no more than 120 of them should come from saturated fat. That’s about 13 grams of saturated fat per day.
  • Wendyanneroberts
    Wendyanneroberts Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I googled American Heart Association and I found this. Maybe it can help.
    https://healthyforgood.heart.org/Eat-smart/Articles/Saturated-Fats
    The American Heart Association recommends aiming for a dietary pattern that achieves 5% to 6% of calories from saturated fat. For example, if you need about 2,000 calories a day, no more than 120 of them should come from saturated fat. That’s about 13 grams of saturated fat per day.

As posted above, but remember, minimum intake is as important as not exceeding certain targets. A lesson I wish I'd known sooner!

I developed angina in my early 40's and was also diagnosed with high cholesterol. My Dr's told me to follow a low fat diet and that in addition, weight loss would help. I was borderline obese/severely obese at this point. I have never smoked and heart disease is rife in my family. I was seen by a nurse at a weight loss clinic and given a diet plan to follow. But they were aware I couldn't increase exercise because of my other disability. 12 wks on the new diet plan, checking in weekly, I only managed to lose 3lb, (at the beginning). When seen by nurse at follow up clinic, I was advised to cut my intake even more. Because of my lack of progress, they were adamant I was either eating more than I was logging, not following meal plan, or if my diary was accurate, I would need to eat even less. Probably because my disability had reduced calories out. I was fed up and eventually stopped going to clinic, as I felt that they did not believe me. I knew I was weighing and logging, accurately and honestly. I was desperate to improve my health. Even though I stopped attending the clinic I continued following the new lower diet plan for a total of 9 mths and lost 4/5lbs in total. I couldn't lose weight but I was at least maintaining, so wouldn't eat more.

Feeling really depressed at this point, I was also feeling really run down, unwell and had many new symptoms, (hair loss, finger nails falling out etc). Went back to Dr's and eventually I was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease as well, which hadn't helped my symptoms. But further blood tests also revealed that my "bad" cholesterol levels had reduced dramatically and we're now within the healthy range but instead my "good" fats level had dropped dangerously low. Was now important to raise the amount of my fat intake. Despite following medical advise, my fat intake was far to low. It was at this point I realised I needed to know exactly how many calories I was consuming and to track my fat intake. To find a healthy balance. At this point, my daughter introduced to MFP. I've not looked back since.
    My previous diet plan (from medical team) had me on approx. 1,000 calories per day and my total fat intake was about 10g to 12g. The nurse that told me, "that in today's society, it was impossible to follow a diet that was to low in fat, if logged accurately" was terribly wrong!

Fortunately I discovered MFP and now use it as a great tool to monitor by intake of calories and insure I have a well balanced diet. I have now lost 39lbs (just under 3 st) and I'm now borderline overweight/healthy. I continue to lose weight, in a slow and healthy manor. I eat far more and now enjoy foods once again, anything in moderation. I've managed to turn around all my blood tests and now get healthy results. It has also help control my symptoms.
  • rfrenkel77
    rfrenkel77 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm on a keto plan and I'm eating eggs, sat fat cholesterol meats and all. Go to Ketovangelist podcast and listen to episodes 100 and 111 and let a scientist and a cardiologist tell you about cholesterol.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    All things in moderation. I used to eat red meat daily but have stopped eating hamburgers. Other red meat has been replaced with fish, chicken or pork. Still enjoy a steak once a week. I also gave up the majority of things deep fried although I still have potato chips occasionally.