Products of Interest: CANADIAN Edition

Replies

• zeldon919
    zeldon919 Posts: 118 Member
    The
    crazyravr wrote: »
    I want to try and find a low calorie, tasty bread. There is lots of options if you are in the US but here? Anything besides Weight Watchers that we can buy? And I am not talking about two slices at 50g total for a serving. Cause almost any bread can be that. I am talking about proper serving.

I like Bon Matin bread. Most are 110cal per slice, but some are 110-160cal for 2 slices. It's in the normal bread section.

It's proper full sized slices of bread, not teensy nothing's like WW bread. I also like that there's no (or far less than most) added nonsense.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    I just tried Natrel Lactose-free simply strawbery icecream for those who can't have regular dairy/icecream. It was really good! 150cals for 125ml and comes in 473ml tub. AKA almost one splurgey serving haha
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb wrote: »
    I just tried Natrel Lactose-free simply strawbery icecream for those who can't have regular dairy/icecream. It was really good! 150cals for 125ml and comes in 473ml tub. AKA almost one splurgey serving haha

There are better options out there for lactose free and lower calories to boot ;)

The only other kind I normally see is Chapman's I believe and it has malitol in it (bad for those on a low Fodmap diet for stomach issues). I was happy with this kind due to the lack of xylitol/malitol :) Can you suggest any other kinds? I am willing to try other ones for sure! Plus if they have a salted caramel type one...mmmm
  • bbontheb

There are better options out there for lactose free and lower calories to boot ;)

I am fairly new to lactose-free products so if you know of any other decent items please share. I find our local grocery stores lacking but I can ask for items to be brought in.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Dear Neighbors to the North: So, the Viking fam is making a quick trip to Toronto this week to watch the Yankees beat on the Blue Jays. Heh. If I was to purchase one "product of interest", what should it be?
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Dear Neighbors to the North: So, the Viking fam is making a quick trip to Toronto this week to watch the Yankees beat on the Blue Jays. Heh. If I was to purchase one "product of interest", what should it be?

chocolate chip Cool Whey ice cream gets my vote!
  • marelthu
    marelthu Posts: 184 Member
    I just tried the NuPasta. I was hesitant because I heard shiritake noodles sucked and it looks similar. I have to say i am really impressed! I rinsed it in cold water and then cooked it quickly to heat with my marinara on the stove top and it was great. The only thing I didn't like was with traditional pasta I boil it in salty water to make it taste better "inside" and obviously you can't with this cause it's pre-cooked so I found myself adding a lot of salt.

I have the shiritake noodles regularly and they're pretty good.
  • EJBarner
    EJBarner Posts: 68 Member
    I just had Cool Whey ice cream for the first time! I'm on Vancouver Island in BC and I've either nevwr noticed it before or it's a recent addition here. We got the salted caramel and it was incredible; slightly 'butterscotch ripple' in flavour, but so creamy and luxurious and yummy! It's a touch pricey at $7.80, but so are most other pints of ice cream and it was SO worth it as a treat.

So excited!! I'm not used to having trendy products here to try!!
  • Muscleflex79
    EJBarner wrote: »
    I just had Cool Whey ice cream for the first time! I'm on Vancouver Island in BC and I've either nevwr noticed it before or it's a recent addition here. We got the salted caramel and it was incredible; slightly 'butterscotch ripple' in flavour, but so creamy and luxurious and yummy! It's a touch pricey at $7.80, but so are most other pints of ice cream and it was SO worth it as a treat.

So excited!! I'm not used to having trendy products here to try!!

it is great, isn't it...I love the chocolate chip...not sure about your prices in BC, but in Ontario it has been going on sale for 4.99 at Metro, Longos, Freshco so I stock up then!
  • zeldon919
    Thanks for the Cool Whey review. I almost bought it yesterday but it was too expensive to chance.

What flavours do you recommend?
  • Muscleflex79
    zeldon919 wrote: »
    Thanks for the Cool Whey review. I almost bought it yesterday but it was too expensive to chance.

What flavours do you recommend?

Chocolate chip is by far my favorite....vanilla is really good as well, as is salted caramel - just wish there was more caramel in it - usually there is just a blob at the bottom -but still get a bit of the flavor throughout.

the only one I've tried that I would not buy again is the chocolate sport (60g protein)...not that it was bad, just tasted like a basic chocolate and was a bit more chewier - different texture than the 40g containers. I wanted to try the mint chocolate chip but it wasn't in stock..when I asked the store employee about that one she said it wasn't the greatest anyway, but really taste all comes down to personal preference so I'd still like to try that one.
  • zeldon919
    Green Giant now offers mashed and rices veggies. Including this cauliflower. Except that the calories in this mess are equivalent to a proper mashed potato. So they failed to realize why people do the mashed cauliflower to begin with.
    Jessica-Spellman-GG_MASH_-Cauliflower_HZ_FP.png

I saw this and googled it - reviews are very unkind. Apparently the texture is awful, very liquid.
  • zeldon919

I like the salter caramel. But I stopped buying it. Too $$$$ and the macros arent the best.
    What I do now is buy 100cal / 0.5cup vanilla ice cream, usually Breyer's. Wait until it softenes a bit and drizzle with Walden Farms salted caramel. Mix that in and place into the freezer to set. Love it.

Thanks. I'll see if I can find the salted caramel or chocolate chip cool whey.

Another thing I've done is mix plain Greek yogurt with a pudding cup, then freeze it a bit to thicken and get very cold. Creamy, not too sweet and with a little tang. I've tried chocolate and butterscotch and both were delicious.
  • bbontheb
    Oooh thank you for all the new suggestions. I think I need that salted caramel. nom nom.

I bought some little meringue cookies at Save On Foods in a plastic tub. Come in lemon, strawberry, orange, vanilla, etc. About $4.99. Anyhow, the lemon tastes just like lemon meringue pie. For 6 small ones it's about 45 calories! Super nice light treat. I really would like to try to make these on my own and try neat flavours.

• barbaraprudhomme
    barbaraprudhomme Posts: 12 Member
    This is such a great thread!! Cheecha puffs are amazing - the salted caramel ones take care of my sweet cravings. PC Skyr is a go to for me. I haven't found Halo Top, but Cool Whey is available in Sobeys and Metro!
  • bbontheb
    Oooh thank you for all the new suggestions. I think I need that salted caramel. nom nom.

I bought some little meringue cookies at Save On Foods in a plastic tub. Come in lemon, strawberry, orange, vanilla, etc. About $4.99. Anyhow, the lemon tastes just like lemon meringue pie. For 6 small ones it's about 45 calories! Super nice light treat. I really would like to try to make these on my own and try neat flavours.

Those are stupid easy to make. There is really nothing to this.
    Carton of egg whites whipped with zero calorie sweetener, pipe on a baking sheet and bake. For $5 this will make you 100s of those little meringues that you can freeze or keep in the fridge and they will stay good for weeks.

Well, I think I might have a new thing to try when our kitchen is a bit cooler. Still super hot and hate cooking/baking with a gas stove. I didn't realize I could use sweetener. Now I'm really excited to try them out. Thanks for the tips! Anyone want to suggest some good flavour combinations?
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Tried Sleeman Clear 2.0 this weekend. Not bad beer.
    http://sleeman.ca/en/clear-2-0
    83 cals a can.

• jaxsonp74
    jaxsonp74 Posts: 5 Member
    For those looking for bread options, I sometimes buy the Wonder White thins. A little bit thinner then regular bread, and it gives me that "I'm having bread without depriving myself" feeling.