Working Around a Shoulder Issue

Options
Penthesilea514
Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
edited September 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I am having some minor pain in my shoulder (nothing acute) that I want to rest up for a week or two and so I am going to stop all overhead lifts (bench press, military press, lat pulldowns) in that time period. I do a 3 day full body lifting routine (Greyskull LP variant) currently (squats, deads, lat pulldowns, rows, military press, bench press with some core work at the end of each routine). I also run for 20 minutes following all of that.

I don't want to push myself too much to prevent a bigger issue, so I was thinking that I might do machine weights for that time so that the movements I do are more isolated to specific muscles (in addition to squats and deadlifts). I want to figure out what I can do, with reduced weight regardless) for my chest/biceps/triceps that would be "shoulder friendly" while I baby my shoulder. If I can't work those safely, then I won't, but I feel like I should be able to do more isolation movements and still rest my shoulder. Is that a reasonable thought? For example, I feel like bicep curls or tricep pushdowns have limited shoulder involvement. I actually don't know if I can really work my chest without some level of shoulder involvement- but I am still new to this, so if there are let me know. Here is my schedule with overhead exercises removed:

M: Squats, Bent Over Row (light weight), planks (elbows), 20-30 min run
W: Deadlifts, weighted crunches, 20-30 min run
F: Squats/Leg Press, Seated Row (light weight), hyperextensions, 20-30 min run

Maybe add biceps/triceps to M and F (normally my bench days) with light weight? Is there something else I should add to balance the temporary removal of those exercises? I know it is a short time and I could just remove that stuff if there is no other option and shorten my workout, I just want to know if there are some good alternatives to be aware of. Thanks.

Replies

• Penthesilea514
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Bumping (a lot of spammy IG posts, I'm not that impatient lol)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    So biceps are still going to be worked on lat pulldown and bent over row - so those should be good.

Do you think your bench form was spot-on?
    Because it can be done in manner that engages shoulders much more than they need to be.
    Like doing close-grip bench usually means lighter weight since more tri engagement, but at least the chest is still used, and shoulders even less if you don't flare the elbows out.

With very light weight on your normal bench, can you feel the difference between really locking the lats back and shoulders in, and arch in back, and not doing that.

Some machines even when setup exactly correct, don't help with impingement issues if that is the reason for shoulder problem, or if that could make it worse.
    I'd almost say super light weight and great form on normal lifts merely for practice level, or skip them - it's just a week.
  • Penthesilea514
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    So biceps are still going to be worked on lat pulldown and bent over row - so those should be good.

Oh, you are right there, I didn't think that one all the way through >.<
    Do you think your bench form was spot-on?
    Because it can be done in manner that engages shoulders much more than they need to be.
    Like doing close-grip bench usually means lighter weight since more tri engagement, but at least the chest is still used, and shoulders even less if you don't flare the elbows out.

With very light weight on your normal bench, can you feel the difference between really locking the lats back and shoulders in, and arch in back, and not doing that.

I think my bench form is actually my best form of the lifts, but as a beginner I can't realistically say spot on. I think that the issue was more likely my military press as far as form goes, and I will be going back to the drawing board on that one once I am rested up. I will look into form for the close-grip bench, and try it with a really light weight to see if I can keep my elbows in check. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Some machines even when setup exactly correct, don't help with impingement issues if that is the reason for shoulder problem, or if that could make it worse.

An excellent point, one I didn't think of. Since I am not super familiar with the machines, I will skip for now.
    I'd almost say super light weight and great form on normal lifts merely for practice level, or skip them - it's just a week.

Okay then, I can work with that. Thank you for your helpful suggestions!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I think it was on a vertical shoulder press nautilus machine I felt "a little something" in my shoulder. After that one day I was eating a apple and went to throw it over a fence right in front of me. Holy crap the pain was awful. I can not do any overhand throwing motion, it like there is nothing there. If I forget and say swat at a bee near my face total pain. I guess it is rotator cuff but have not gone to a doctor because I have always heard to surgery is as bad as the injury. So now anything I do shoulder wise is insanely lightweight, don't try to put a lot of weight on it because it is not worth it.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Shoulder issue here too, 100% related to improper form in bench. I felt it coming on and ignored it until it got unbrearable. Even walking the dog hurt.

I've since taken a few months off from bench and overhead press. Doc says keep your elbows really close to your body when benching, I tend to let mind flare out.

I did some accessory work as you mentioned, but saw no appreciable results.
  • Penthesilea514
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    I think it was on a vertical shoulder press nautilus machine I felt "a little something" in my shoulder. After that one day I was eating a apple and went to throw it over a fence right in front of me. Holy crap the pain was awful. I can not do any overhand throwing motion, it like there is nothing there. If I forget and say swat at a bee near my face total pain. I guess it is rotator cuff but have not gone to a doctor because I have always heard to surgery is as bad as the injury. So now anything I do shoulder wise is insanely lightweight, don't try to put a lot of weight on it because it is not worth it.

Ouch I am sorry. I will definitely take it easy and hope you recover quickly.
  • Penthesilea514
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Shoulder issue here too, 100% related to improper form in bench. I felt it coming on and ignored it until it got unbrearable. Even walking the dog hurt.

I've since taken a few months off from bench and overhead press. Doc says keep your elbows really close to your body when benching, I tend to let mind flare out.

I did some accessory work as you mentioned, but saw no appreciable results.

That's helpful, thanks. I will take it easy instead of trying to do too much- especially if you didn't really feel like it helped to much.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    So I'm also currently going through a shoulder issue that I've never had before. I tried rehabbing it and then when that didn't seem to work (1.5 months), I got a cortisone shot. That didn't work either so on the 29th I'm getting an MRI to figure out if I either tore something or if I just need to continue rehabbing. At this time I can't do anything with presses of almost any sort without some real discomfort. So I've just stuck to isometric training. Hard flexing of the muscle in a fixed position with or without resistance.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Partial rotator cuff tear and a SLAP tear in my left shoulder this past Dec '16. Contrast MRI showed both. The sports Dr was convinced I just strained something but when I went back in a month later due to still having pain, he ordered the contrast MRI. That lead to a sports surgeon consultation where they did not recommend surgery based on the strength in my shoulders. He manipulated my left arm into all kinds of strange, and sometimes painful, positions. After he did that was when he asked what I had been doing in the meantime. I told him (what's listed below) and he said keep at it.

So, I've spent the last 9 months rehabbing my shoulder. OHP got tossed out the window as did standard BB bench press. Light DB shoulder presses with lots of reps. Face pulls and rear delt flies, both low weight high reps. Switched to reverse grip bench press, which took a LOT of time to get used to, and DB bench press. And lots of band work too and light DB front delt work. If something started aggravating my shoulder I immediately stopped and looked for something else I could sub in.

When I mean light DB stuff I'm talking about using the 5lb DBs to start. 20lbs on the face pulls. Started with just the BB on reverse grip bench. 3-4 sets of around 20 reps (if my shoulder was feeling good). If anything I was very cautious and I think that's a good thing.

It's only been in the past 6 weeks that I added back in OHP and standard bench. Weights are no where near what I was doing and I'm fine with that. I'm still rehabbing in my mind and will take as long as needed.

I will also point out that this worked for me but I am not a Dr nor a PT and can't say if it will help or hinder.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I have rotator cuff damage and a torn labrum, and haven't even begun with weights for that reason. Surgery is the only treatment option at this point, but I'm not rushing into it.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention that I moved my grip in on both bench and OHP when I started them back up. Keeps the shoulders nice and tucked. Plus I focus on staying tight and control the weight down and back up.
  • Penthesilea514
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    So I'm also currently going through a shoulder issue that I've never had before. I tried rehabbing it and then when that didn't seem to work (1.5 months), I got a cortisone shot. That didn't work either so on the 29th I'm getting an MRI to figure out if I either tore something or if I just need to continue rehabbing. At this time I can't do anything with presses of almost any sort without some real discomfort. So I've just stuck to isometric training. Hard flexing of the muscle in a fixed position with or without resistance.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I had not thought of isometric training- that might be a good think to incorporate. And I hope however your MRI turns out, you recover swiftly.
  • Penthesilea514
    Options
    Partial rotator cuff tear and a SLAP tear in my left shoulder this past Dec '16. Contrast MRI showed both. The sports Dr was convinced I just strained something but when I went back in a month later due to still having pain, he ordered the contrast MRI. That lead to a sports surgeon consultation where they did not recommend surgery based on the strength in my shoulders. He manipulated my left arm into all kinds of strange, and sometimes painful, positions. After he did that was when he asked what I had been doing in the meantime. I told him (what's listed below) and he said keep at it.

So, I've spent the last 9 months rehabbing my shoulder. OHP got tossed out the window as did standard BB bench press. Light DB shoulder presses with lots of reps. Face pulls and rear delt flies, both low weight high reps. Switched to reverse grip bench press, which took a LOT of time to get used to, and DB bench press. And lots of band work too and light DB front delt work. If something started aggravating my shoulder I immediately stopped and looked for something else I could sub in.

When I mean light DB stuff I'm talking about using the 5lb DBs to start. 20lbs on the face pulls. Started with just the BB on reverse grip bench. 3-4 sets of around 20 reps (if my shoulder was feeling good). If anything I was very cautious and I think that's a good thing.

It's only been in the past 6 weeks that I added back in OHP and standard bench. Weights are no where near what I was doing and I'm fine with that. I'm still rehabbing in my mind and will take as long as needed.

I will also point out that this worked for me but I am not a Dr nor a PT and can't say if it will help or hinder.

I appreciate your advice and caution- I am grateful for the insight. I am no stranger to injury and I am trying to be overly cautious. But your suggestions are helpful to know good modifications as I move on. Thanks!
  • Penthesilea514
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »
    I have rotator cuff damage and a torn labrum, and haven't even begun with weights for that reason. Surgery is the only treatment option at this point, but I'm not rushing into it.

I am sorry to hear that- I hope whatever treatment you pursue helps you in your recovery.

All of this just really has brought to my mind how important my shoulders are for everyday activities and how frustrating it must be for you all that are injured to deal with it.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »

I am sorry to hear that- I hope whatever treatment you pursue helps you in your recovery.

All of this just really has brought to my mind how important my shoulders are for everyday activities and how frustrating it must be for you all that are injured to deal with it.

It even made me replace my car. First time in about 30 years that I've regularly driven an automatic.
  • Banany89
    Banany89 Posts: 2 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Do you know which part of your shoulder is in pain? Last year I thought I had Rotator Cuff issues but did some research into it and had some physios look at it - it turned out to be the AC Joint and I think it was caused by arms flaring out during BB bench press.

It took about 5 months for a full recovery and during the first 2 months, I completely stopped any exercises that required movement of "pressing". After the 2 months, I started using the pec deck machine and really focused on engaging the chest muscles rather than shoulders (also retracting the scapula - this seemed to help).

I would suggest resting as much as possible for a few weeks (I know it can be tempting to do other exercises!). Get yourself a thera band and do some light stretches/exercises to work on shoulder mobility.

I use the thera band for warm up and warm down nowadays (shoulders, back, legs) and feel it has help greatly with getting the blood flowing in the body.

Hope that helps & good luck!

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    TL/DR. But, see a PT and get exercises for your rotator cuff. Usually involves resistance bands.
  • alida1walsh
    alida1walsh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I agree with previous post. See a physiotherapist. I did and, after an MRI, discovered I had a frozen shoulder. He gave me some exercises to do with a resistance band and told me to stop lifting weights altogether and no push ups or bench presses.
  • Penthesilea514
    Options
    TL/DR. But, see a PT and get exercises for your rotator cuff. Usually involves resistance bands.
    I agree with previous post. See a physiotherapist. I did and, after an MRI, discovered I had a frozen shoulder. He gave me some exercises to do with a resistance band and told me to stop lifting weights altogether and no push ups or bench presses.

I appreciate the advice. I noticed some minor joint centered pain after my workout the other day and I am seeking advice out of caution. If I do not feel better in the next week or so of rest (well, RICE and minor stretching), I will seek professional medical advice. Thanks.
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    See a physio would be the best thing as they will be able to pinpoint what the issue is and give you rehab/stretching exercises to do. Had rotator cuff issues last year in my left shoulder. Physio gave me plenty of stretches to do. Like @piperdown44 we took out OHP as the physio said that was making the issue worse. Also we took out pull ups and dips. Was still able to do flat bench and incline bench but could only go to parallel and not to go heavy. Same with rows. Took a while for the rotator cuff issues to go away and its probably not 100% nor will be ever again but I continue with the rehab for overall shoulder health. I have not re-introduced OHP cos the physio said studies have shown that OHP is becoming responsible for too many shoulder issues with people and that teams in many sports no longer include it. I am back benching fully, doing pull ups, dips and the like.