Replies

• Speziface
    Speziface Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Speziface wrote: »
    TR0berts wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    sydneypo wrote: »
    I can't believe how irked some people get over juicing. I agree it isn't a sustainable meals choice but I do believe the fruits/veggies are a great boost for your system! I do a 7 day cleanse sporadically. Usually to mix up my meals or because buying bags of fruit and greens is SO much easier than meal planning. :D:D I bought an $80 juicer and disposable cups with lids on Amazon and I don't regret it at all.

Why not just eat the veggies and fruit as part of a healthy eating plan instead of tearing them up in a blender and drinking them???

Because fiber is for wimps?

As long as they don't strain the juice they'll still get the fiber.

A smoothie is with fibre juice leaves behind the pulp which IS the fibre.

My point exactly. (When I make juice I just use a food processor and pour the liquid right into the cup. Nothing gets left behind. So to speak.)
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    I can't believe how irked some people get over juicing. I agree it isn't a sustainable meals choice but I do believe the fruits/veggies are a great boost for your system! I do a 7 day cleanse sporadically. Usually to mix up my meals or because buying bags of fruit and greens is SO much easier than meal planning. :D:D I bought an $80 juicer and disposable cups with lids on Amazon and I don't regret it at all.

Science doesn't care what you believe.

Until today's science is proven wrong tomorrow.

Maybe someday, but not today...
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

I think the point is to go cold-turkey on things like sugars, refined carbs, fast food, and junk. The juicing itself is secondary. The main thing is to brute force your way through cravings and the will-power-leeching habits of the first couple weeks of any new WOE. Which is easier if you're only drinking a melange of fruits and veg.

Juice is pretty much literally sugar water with vitamins in it. It's no different to drinking pop, except for the vitamins. Juice even takes out the fibre (juice with the fibre left in is a smoothie) so you're not even getting that benefit.

I'm not going to weigh in on juice fasting. Still, if anything, juicing as a part of a normal diet can be an easy way to get larger portions of fruit and veggie nutrients into your diet. In my experience, drinking those nutrients is often much easier than eating them. For example, I don't like eating beets, but I can hide their flavor in a drink using a few slices of fruit.

Unfortunately, it really doesn't work that way. Juice can ONLY count as ONE of your recommended 5-a-day, according to most accepted science. This is because juice leaves out a lot of the most important stuff such as fibre, and the nutrients of the skin etc. It also concentrates the sugar. Sugar's not bad for you, but it's a lot of calories for very little benefit. Sure, you're getting loads of vitamin C and A but it's really not the same as eating those fruits and vegetables whole.

All in all, OP, I'd recommend just... eating less and getting a balanced diet.

• RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

Why not just eat the veggies and fruit as part of a healthy eating plan instead of tearing them up in a blender and drinking them???

If you're using a "juicer" then it's already straining out the fiber. If you use a food processor or blender then you'll still get the fiber even if it's completely liquefied.

I watched that movie a couple years ago and thought it was interesting and wanted to try it. My son was also interested so I bought both of us juicers on Amazon and we both tried it for awhile. Comparing notes and sharing ideas.

Main takeaways for me:

Pros: tasty juice with lots of vitamins

Cons: expensive, messy, wasteful, not very filling

I was buying a lot of produce, making a big mess in my kitchen, getting a little bit of juice and then had lots of leftover veggie fiber that just went into the composter. I tried making soup out of the fiber but it wasn't that great. The juicer was also hard to clean, so it was time consuming.

I switched to just make fruit/veggie smoothies, cleaned up the PITA juicer and donated it to charity. I think my son's charity donation preceded mine by several weeks.
  • Speziface
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »

If you're using a "juicer" then it's already straining out the fiber. If you use a food processor or blender then you'll still get the fiber even if it's completely liquefied.

I don't make smoothies (or whatever) often enough to justify owning a dedicated juicer; I just use my food processor. Works for juices, smoothies, sauces, malts, etc....
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I don't make smoothies (or whatever) often enough to justify owning a dedicated juicer; I just use my food processor. Works for juices, smoothies, sauces, malts, etc....

That's fine, but when people are talking about juicing (especially in the context of this movie) they're referring to a specific machine that removes the fiber. It isn't just blended fruit, there is straining involved.
  • Speziface
    Options

That's fine, but when people are talking about juicing (especially in the context of this movie) they're referring to a specific machine that removes the fiber. It isn't just blended fruit, there is straining involved.

That makes more sense. But then, I don't really see the sense in juicing to begin with. Now a chocolate ice cream malted milkshake, OTOH....
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

That makes more sense. But then, I don't really see the sense in juicing to begin with. Now a chocolate ice cream malted milkshake, OTOH....

There is no real sense in it (unless you just happen to really enjoy juice).
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

Did you just bump a thread that hasn't been posted in for over 4 months in order to scold people and brag about your expensive juicer?

No, I just watched the documentary again and thought I'd see who in the MFP community had tried it. I didn't see how old the thread was nor do I see why that matters if the conversation is still relevant since people still juice? Brag about my juicer? :D I was comparing it to the outrageous $200-400+ juicers that are usually recommended. To my original point, ya'll get so irked for nothing. Don't like the trend than bypass it. No need to scold me for liking it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ok...
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

No, I just watched the documentary again and thought I'd see who in the MFP community had tried it. I didn't see how old the thread was nor do I see why that matters if the conversation is still relevant since people still juice? Brag about my juicer? :D I was comparing it to the outrageous $200-400+ juicers that are usually recommended. To my original point, ya'll get so irked for nothing. Don't like the trend than bypass it. No need to scold me for liking it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But what if other gullible people are lurking. Do we allow them to think it works?
  • Speziface
    Options

There is no real sense in it (unless you just happen to really enjoy juice).

In general only with gin.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    It's still significantly better than any of the hundred vegan propaganda films spreading their anti-gmo, anti-science, anti-vaccine kale eating *kitten*