Confused About Weight Loss Plateau

Options
Hey everyone. Background info:

I started at 178. I'm now 147. I started doing the Ketogenic diet in July and lost 15 pounds on that alone. I walk between 8000 and 10000 steps per day. I also lift weights 3 times per week. I am thinking that its possible I'm not eating enough? My diet mainly consists of meat and cheese. No vegetables. No nuts. I hit the weight loss plateau 2 weeks ago and haven't been consistently losing since. Any advice? I'm going to add some broccoli to my diet this week but if anyone doing Ketosis as well can help that would be great.

Replies

• Nhoff70
    Nhoff70 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I also had the same problem with plateauing. I was using the treadmill 3x a week @ 3.7 mph 40 mins a session. This is excellent for "maintaining". I had to step it up to weight training and change my diet. Added more fiber, veggies, fruits, grains. I hope to see the same results you have. Would love to weight 135-140! I also started using the calorie tracker on MFP, this really keeps me in check because I have a tendency to over-snack. I have to be more disciplined. Every ounce I lose I celebrate! Keep up the fight!! I'm with you!
  • meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation, I am trying reducing my calories further. Mine was going great, was losing a kg per week then it has just stopped I had even increased my exercise. The last few kg are harder I think, just need to reduce the food a bit more (I hope). You might want to swap out some cheese for veg? Just watch you still get you protein after lifting or else your body just suffers.
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    If you were losing a pound a week and it's only been 2 weeks, how do you know it's not 2 lbs of:
    1. Water retention from sore muscles or swelling for some reason
    2. Food waste (poop)

If it's #2 (ha! Literally!), then take some fiber. Eating more won't cause you to lose fat but if it forces out whatever is in your intestines...tjen you'll see the scale move and that seems to be all you want, so go for it.

Ps... no veggies?? What a shame. And unhealthy diet...
  • canarysal
    canarysal Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    If you don't track you can't get an idea of true picture. I've often had month with no weight lost then 2lbs gone overnight. Two weeks not long enough for a plateau in my opinion. If you track and get better stats you'll get better advice. Give it more time.
  • CheersforWhit
    CheersforWhit Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thank you Megan. Yeah I think that's may be contributing to the problem. It's just hard finding foods I like to eat that are low carb. Might try carb cycling
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I agree with others that tracking your calories is essential for learning whether or not you are in a deficit. Since your caloric needs drop the smaller you become, you can't rely on eating what you have always eaten. At this point you're guessing. Not logging was fine for you while you were steadily losing weight but since you're not, it is clearly no longer working for you.

It's completely normal to start off losing regularly and after a few months transition into losing weight intermittently in a series of plateaus followed by "whooshes" of losing several pounds overnight. If you have reason to believe you are still in a deficit, be patient and wait for the whoosh. The whoosh effect is caused by the way the body retains water while breaking down fat - lost fat cells are temporarily filled with water, which is then flushed all at once.