Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Addicted to sugar DEBATE

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,939 Member
    That poem is beautiful @kshama2001 - thanks for that.

:)

:love:
  • cmriverside
    edited September 2017
    ...and I finished off the Little Debbies. :) But now I'll be up until 1AM with all this zippity doo dah extra energy. :neutral:
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    ...and I finished off the Little Debbies. :) But now I'll be up until 1AM with all this zippity doo dah extra energy. :neutral:

LOL! Can you get some housework done? Thats usually what i do :lol:

Thank you for posting what you have in this thread. What still leaves me wondering though, is at least in my recollection you are literally the only poster who has said that you would eat straight sugar or large amounts of fruits.

So perhaps an actual sugar addiction is a real but rare thing that is being co-opted by anti-sugar mania? Most people who talk about it say they got over their addiction by switching to fruits, or honey, or something else they consider "healthy". Honestly if everyone's situation sounded as you described, I would probably have a different opinion on the issue.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »

Thank you for posting what you have in this thread. What still leaves me wondering though, is at least in my recollection you are literally the only poster who has said that you would eat straight sugar or large amounts of fruits.

So perhaps an actual sugar addiction is a real but rare thing that is being co-opted by anti-sugar mania? Most people who talk about it say they got over their addiction by switching to fruits, or honey, or something else they consider "healthy". Honestly if everyone's situation sounded as you described, I would probably have a different opinion on the issue.

I've done that too but I don't like fruit a lot. I would eat a lot of grapes, pineapple or dried fruit. Lots of dried fruit - like a soup bowl of raisins... maybe with a bit of cereal. I've "overdosed" on dried prunes and apricots when that was all I had. So not good.

When I had fruit, I just wanted more sugars. I was not satiated. If I have my sugars, I NEVER say "that was enough because I had my little bit".
  • cmriverside
    ooooohhhhhh apricots. Raisins. I've gotten sick a couple times from apricots.

It seems dates are a big thing with sugar cravers. I know more than one person who "broke" their sugar thing but buy Costco size bags of dates. *nods*
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited September 2017
    The issue with "sugar" or "carbs" on this site is really the opposite. It's so trendy to see sugar (or carbs) as the source of all evil, that people blame them and claim "sugar addiction" when the truth is (with some exceptions, sure) that their issues if they actually think about it are different. For example, they may have zero problems consuming fruit (and not even have an interest in fruit sometimes). Yet fruit is a high sugar food, and if the issue were -- as is often claimed -- a physical issue with sugar or even a "behavioral" addiction to "sugar" (whatever that would mean), fruit ought to inspire the same reaction.

Here's the thing with fruit. I have eaten pounds of apples, peaches, cherries, watermelon, fruit salad, grapes, mangoes, pineapple. I have binged on hundreds and hundreds of calories and huge bowls of fruit. LOL, there are consequences to fruit. First of all the obvious consequence that we all know is the fiber/water/it has to go somewhere issue. Second is that it is really filling, so it's hard to keep eating it until the high kicks in, because I have to eat so much of it to get the same brain-kick as straight sugar. Straight sugar or candy is like mainlining fruit. So it is basically the same thing, only without physical discomfort/consequences.

Anyone who has been an alcohol or drug addict knows that it starts with wine or beer on the weekends and/or pot and in the end, it takes heroin or meth and Jack Daniels or vodka in the handles - or six bottles of wine or 30 cans of beer Every Day. Hard liquor is easier, less bloating, quicker drunk. There is a progression and a tolerance, and it happens by over-loading those receptors in the brain. The desire to feel that dopamine rush is strong, and it gets harder to achieve, hence the higher alcohol percentage products (or just greater quantity.)

Humans weren't created to ingest this level of concentrated sugars in such quantity. The dopamine receptor gates are blown wide open and more and more receptors are created to intake the overwhelming flow of dopamine released by the concentrated sugar (same thing happens with alcohol/drugs.)Those additional receptors mean additional cravings. If we didn't have processed sugars, we would all be just eating normal amounts of carbs and a little honey and maple because it would be so expensive. A grass (sugar cane and corn) that is so easily produced has made a big problem out of this. People with compulsion issues may have started out with a little behavior problem but it becomes a physical problem in time and with over-consumption and that is partly due to cheap availability in the last century.

It's a physical/physiological thing that happens. It really happens. Of course it's complicated. Human behavior always is.

The DSM isn't written to include it - yet. It will be. It may be "simple carbs" but I think it should be "sugar," it's just difficult to get a definition. And you can split hairs all you want, it's a real thing. Problem is, then that's one more "disease" the insurance companies and the food industry really doesn't want to see happen, so it's gonna take time and people speaking up. It took decades for, "Alcohol Dependence," to become something other than a character defect. It isn't all a thinking problem.

Any research to back those claims?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited September 2017
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »

I've done that too but I don't like fruit a lot. I would eat a lot of grapes, pineapple or dried fruit. Lots of dried fruit - like a soup bowl of raisins... maybe with a bit of cereal. I've "overdosed" on dried prunes and apricots when that was all I had. So not good.

When I had fruit, I just wanted more sugars. I was not satiated. If I have my sugars, I NEVER say "that was enough because I had my little bit".

I thought I recalled you posting recently that you eat berries on occasion since going keto. I'm confused now if this is your experience with fruit.
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    edited September 2017
    if someone were addicted to sugar, wouldnt they be eating table sugar directly as well? if that is not the case, they are not addicted to sugar, but something else.
  • ImmortalFire
    ImmortalFire Posts: 31 Member
    I reckon at the heart of this discussion it depends on how you define 'addiction'. If like me, you consider it to have a spectrum then yes, I believe sugar does have addictive qualities, though granted not as severe as drug/alcohol addiction.

If you are a person who regularly consumes a large amount of sugar (any kind) and then stop all forms of it, do you feel a longing to eat something high in sugars/carbs? Do you miss it? Do you feel somewhat empty? Does it consume your thoughts? Do you get cravings? If you stop do you feel somewhat unwell/lethargic etc... I agree it depends on how much you consumed before you went cold turkey and everything else, but I don't think anyone can disagree that there are addictive qualities to sugar.

For those who want a Journal Article/Literature Review: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neubiorev.2007.04.019

(PDF of mentioned article)
    http://www.lunaliving.org/pdf/evidence-for-sugar-addiction.-behavioral-and-neurochemical-effects-of-intermittent,-excessive-sugar-intake.pdf