Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Addicted to sugar DEBATE

Options

Replies

• Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Just because we cannot clearly define exactly how someone can or cannot be addicted to sugar, doesn't mean it does not exist or that it exists. It is to my mind, a grey area of possibility.

They used to think people couldn't get addicted to sex. If you were addicted to sex, it was viewed as a mental illness because sex was not considered addictive....remember the term nymphomaniac? The same with alcohol....alcoholics were simply viewed as "drunks" and there was zero recognition until the fifties that alcohol could be an addiction. All the questions you've asked about is it the taste? The texture? The same sort of questions were asked about sex...is it the thrill of cheating? The comfort of human contact? The orgasms?
    Again also about alcohol...is it the feeling of being drunk? Is it the taste? Is it the type of alcohol?(wine, beer, liquor, etc).

I think it's a possibility that should be scientifically studied further because there is enough anecdotal evidence from sufferers that indicate sugar addiction might exist.

• Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Does it really matter whether it's a true clinical addiction or only a perceived addiction? Is all this debate over a word help anyone?

I would offer that understanding whether it's a true physical addition could help at least some people understand that there is a possibility they could eat sugar-containing foods in moderation and they aren't required to eliminate them the way an alcoholic has to eliminate alcohol or a heroin addict has to eliminate heroin.

As a point of fact, the majority of heroin addicts are only able to eliminate heroin if they are weaned off and purposely addicted to another opiate. Heroin was actually introduced to treat morphine addiction. Since heroin became a problem, there have been numerous opioids introduced that are used to "treat" heroin addicts...most commonly known is methodone. But make no mistake, a heroin addict is not really eliminating their addiction so much as getting addicted to a substitute opiate. So you can't really use whether or not a thing must be "eliminated" as a measuring stick for a "true physical addiction" as it's more complex than that.
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    The OP is asking for help not hair splitting!
    Time was, I'd walk more than a mile in the rain for a chocolate bar, then buy three of the family size... So all my sympathy to you. smile:
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My son used to slice off slabs of butter and eat it like cheese.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

I used to dip french fries in mayo. Emphasis on the "used" to.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

I used to dip french fries in mayo. Emphasis on the "used" to.

My son just discovered this with sriracha mayo. Yum. He also goes through almost a block of butter a week. LOL
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    Does it really matter whether it's a true clinical addiction or only a perceived addiction? Is all this debate over a word help anyone?

I would offer that understanding whether it's a true physical addition could help at least some people understand that there is a possibility they could eat sugar-containing foods in moderation and they aren't required to eliminate them the way an alcoholic has to eliminate alcohol or a heroin addict has to eliminate heroin.

As a point of fact, the majority of heroin addicts are only able to eliminate heroin if they are weaned off and purposely addicted to another opiate. Heroin was actually introduced to treat morphine addiction. Since heroin became a problem, there have been numerous opioids introduced that are used to "treat" heroin addicts...most commonly known is methodone. But make no mistake, a heroin addict is not really eliminating their addiction so much as getting addicted to a substitute opiate. So you can't really use whether or not a thing must be "eliminated" as a measuring stick for a "true physical addiction" as it's more complex than that.

I wasn't using it as a measuring stick, I think you completely misunderstand what I wrote.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Heck, habits are terrifically hard to break.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    As far as I can tell, this is the break-out debate removed from the OP's original thread. So this would be the place to hair-split.

Yup. I think the help version of it is elsewhere. My first post is over there.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    When I hear someone say they are addicted to sugar, the image that comes to my mind is them, ingesting tablespoons of cane sugar in private, like a junky.

Everyone has something they love. But that doesn't mean you NEED it.

I actually have done this.

When I was a kid I used to binge-eat anything with sugar. There were so many candies and I was never a chocolate fan, so it was not about the fat for me. I would steal money to get it and steal candy to get it and I would do whatever it took. At nine years old, every day. So don't try to tell me there isn't a biological/physiological component. I would hide in the closet with the door closed and binge eat this stuff. My brain was seriously jacked.

And I've eaten entire big bags of skittles, red vines, Mike N Ikes cinnamon thingys, etc. This "has to be fat+sugar" thing is a red herring. ( I know you didn't say it, but it will come up time after time.)

The idea with the fat+sugar thing (as I think we've discussed before) is not that everyone will overeat fat+sugar and not other things. Lots of people mindlessly drink tons of soda, for example, and some people's taste preferences go to sweet carbs without fat (dry cereal, candy). But so, so many people who claim to have issues with "sugar" ONLY overeat sugar+fat and same with carbs (carbs+fat) and the claim that there's a special addictive reaction people have to sugar and only sugar, IN GENERAL, isn't supported even by those who claim to believe in food addiction, as -- as discussed earlier in this thread -- pizza and even just cheese score high.

If the issue is really and truly just a craving for sugar, and not really liking the taste of something, it seems like the trivially simple way of dealing with the problem would be to consume lower cal, more nutrient source of sugar, like fruit. Presto, problem solved.

My thought it that it's likely more complicated most of the time, like emotional eating or habit-related things or just having trouble moderating something that tastes really good to you.