September 2017 Running Challenge

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    sarahthes wrote: »
    The real question is: eggnog hot or eggnog cold?

I am sorry, but why is that an "or" and not an "and"? Is that a typo?
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    I am pro-pie, anti-egg nog. :p

agreed! Egg nog is yucky.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member

LOL. This is one of the few things my husband and I argue about every year. I don't know anyone in Canada who drinks it hot, and he is a relatIvely recent import.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    @KatieJane83 I had a wicked bout with ITBS confirmed by the PT. It started off as I slight ache that came and went and I didn't pay much attention to it. One day I was about 4 miles into my run and the pain came so hard and so sharp I screamed and sat right down in the street. Luckily Skip was with me and after a bit I was able to walk home with her. I ended up with 8 weeks of PT and during the first 2 weeks honestly couldn't get past a mile. He said, like I think Mobycarp mentioned, it's a repetitive injury and that I needed to work on the hip strength to help it. From time to time I get a little ouch from it, sort of a pinch. If it doesn't stop I stop, 99.9% of the time it stops and no other problem. The pain would radiate down to my shin and up to my thigh. I would go see someone, I could hardly drive my car because pushing on the gas hurt.

@HonuNui 5' turtle wow!

@kgirlhart I keep saying to her can you please place higher to save me money on shirts? @JessicaMcB I love the idea with the baby clothes

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    @MobyCarp AWESOME!!!!! Super happy you are back running again!
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,049 Member
    01/09 4.53 miles
    13/09 3.82 miles
    14/09 4.07 miles
    15/09 3.78 miles
    16/09 3.74 miles
    20/09 3.82 miles It got dark before 8pm this evening. I wasn't expecting it so most of my run was in the dark. I had my hi-viz on but no torch. I don't mind running in the dark as it can be very peacefully, just wasn't expecting it.

I love doughnuts too - custard, jam, chocolate coated, iced, hot, cold- yum yum!

exercise.png

• Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Also saw that @MobyCarp bit the bullet and registered for Boston. I knew you would do it. Today is my registration day and I am going to bite the bullet too. Mostly because my husband wants to go back and that makes me feel really good to know that he enjoyed it as much as I did. Of course, my odds of actually getting in this year are still pretty slim, so I will just have to wait and see. And then I maybe I might have that spark of motivation I have been looking for to get my butt back in gear.

Quietly lurking here to find out about you and @mobycarp. Glad you pulled the trigger as well as it'll be nice to meet up there (got my acceptance email a bit ago) if the BAA doesn't do too much cutting to the field size. Keeping my fingers crossed for you..

Mostly lounging around this month (w. 30 miles of total running) as I'm coming off a late August Ironman (missed Kona by 1 place, but was 21st overall with a 10:16 / 3:33 hot 92 degree marathon at the end), and the Ironman 70.3 World Championships (new forerunner 935 fell off 2 minutes into the swim - but finished 151/405 with a solid bike and decent 1:37 run).

I'll re-join the challenge next month once my mind is back into training/racing mode and will likely jump into a late fall marathon (Philly or Vegas) as I'd like to lock in a slot at NYC for next year.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    @Ohhim you've been busy. Sorry to hear about your forerunner falling off! Missing Kona by 1 place still makes you awesome. Really cool. Great job at Ironman 70.3!
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member

I like it either way, but prefer it hot with some nutmeg on top. I really, really like the eggnog coffee creamer, but it seems to go so quickly that if I don't stock up on it when it first comes out, then I'm SOL.

... and @Elise4270 I like pie too... and donuts... and probably most things that aren't good for me, but I have learned to eat in moderation... or run more so I can splurge more... :wink:
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    9/1/17 - 4.07 Easy
    9/3/17 - 8.43 Easy - 38.44 Week
    9/4/17 - 6.60 Tempo
    9/5/17 - 7.07 Easy
    9/6/17 - 7.05 Easy
    9/7/17 - 5.03 Easy
    9/8/17 - 7.08 Easy
    9/10/17 12.03 Easy - 44.87 Week
    9/11/17 - 4.12 - recovery
    9/12/17 - 7.01 - 3x1 mile @ gmp
    9/13/17 - 7.10 Easy
    9/15/17 - 7.01 Easy
    9/16/17 - 4.65 Easy
    9/17/17 - 14.14 Long run - 44.03 Week
    9/19/17 - 5.01 - Recovery
    9/20/17 - 7.03 - Easy

Total 113.42 of 180 Miles

Yesterday was an easy 5 recovery. Today was an "easy" 7 mile foundation run. There really wasn't anything easy about it with the oppressive humidity we've had the past few days. Temps were about 75-77 degrees by the time I finished and humidity was 85%. Looking at our 7 day forecast it doesn't appear that it's going to improve until early next week, then it'll rain. Looking at the remainder of the month I might miss the goal by a few miles unless I swap out my Sunday long run to Saturday the 30th.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,950 Member
    I had eggnog for the first time last Christmas. My daughter brought her boyfriend and I asked what he liked at Christmas and she said eggnog. I had never had it before. I didn't know you could have eggnog hot.
    It was pretty good, but if I had to choose I'd go with pie. Unless it was coconut pie. But pumpkin, sweet potato, key lime, chocolate or lemon pie are always worth the calories to me.

I'm debating about taking today as a weather/rest day. It is so freaking hot! My weather app says 99F feels like 104F. Tomorrow should be a lot better.

@MobyCarp Glad to see you are cleared to start running again!
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    @KatieJane83 I had a wicked bout with ITBS confirmed by the PT. It started off as I slight ache that came and went and I didn't pay much attention to it. One day I was about 4 miles into my run and the pain came so hard and so sharp I screamed and sat right down in the street. Luckily Skip was with me and after a bit I was able to walk home with her. I ended up with 8 weeks of PT and during the first 2 weeks honestly couldn't get past a mile. He said, like I think Mobycarp mentioned, it's a repetitive injury and that I needed to work on the hip strength to help it. From time to time I get a little ouch from it, sort of a pinch. If it doesn't stop I stop, 99.9% of the time it stops and no other problem. The pain would radiate down to my shin and up to my thigh. I would go see someone, I could hardly drive my car because pushing on the gas hurt.

@HonuNui 5' turtle wow!

@kgirlhart I keep saying to her can you please place higher to save me money on shirts? @JessicaMcB I love the idea with the baby clothes

Thank you for sharing your experience with this! That's one of the reasons I thought IT band, because I had just the slightest bit of it radiating into the thigh and shin. Def going to make an appt. Better safe than sorry!
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member

Do you know, I've never had it hot? I never even thought of that option! Oh man, now I'm excited to try it that way! lol
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Date Miles today - Miles for September

9/1 REST DAY
    9/2 12 miles - 12
    9/3 REST DAY
    9/4 LABOR DAY LAZINESS
    9/5 8 miles - 20
    9/6 4 miles - 24
    9/7 10 miles - 34
    9/8 3.1 miles - 37.1
    9/9 13.1 miles - 50.2