Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Are GMOs bad for you?

Options

Replies

• Amerane
    Amerane Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    rhtexasgal wrote: »
    It was the exactly same variety of corn in both cases. Since my diagnosis, I have not bought foods with corn in it, especially HFCS, cereal, etc. It would set my gut off. If I somehow slip, my gut tells me in quite a rude manner! Most everything I consume is fresh and the only thing in a box I eat is pasta made from quinoa and rice. It greatly limits eating out but my health now dictates it. I still eat corn but only from one organic farmer at my local farmers market that uses heirloom organic seed and uses no chemicals or herbicides.

As a general rule, gmo varieties are not the same as conventional varieties, and are likely very different from the varieties organic farmers use, despite what they might have said. If their description was sweet corn, that is a broad category of corn varieties that encompasses both gmo and non-gmo varieties. It is likely that differences in your taste and body's reaction to the corn was a result of different levels of starch, sugar, and fiber between the variety of gmo corn and the organic corn.

There are also many other factors including planting time (non-gmo varieties are often planted at different times than gmo crops to prevent cross-breeding), fertilizers used, etc that would explain the differences between the two varieties of corn. Unfortunately, it would be extremely difficult as a consumer to get a hold of both gmo and non-gmo versions of the same variety of corn and even then you would still need to taste them double-blind to be sure your own expectations weren't biasing the results.

TL;DR I think the differences you saw in your body's reaction and the flavor might be due to other factors since gmo varieties are often very different from the varieties used by organic farmers
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    mgalvin12 wrote: »
    Humans have been selectively breeding traits what we found increased yield or resistance to certain disease or allowed for less water for hundreds of years.

GMO's are nothing more than selective breeding 2.0

Genetically modified is NOT the same as selectively breeding. Selective breeding is the process of developing a plant or animal based on selecting desirable characteristics of the parent. For example, saving seed for replanting from plants within a crop that have shown to be particularly robust; or breeding a white dog with a black patch over its eye via two parents that have the same traits.

Genetically modified organisms is when genes from one species is introduced to an entirely different species by human intervention. For example a fish and a tomato (yes this was done) or a corn plant that is resistant to herbicide, so you can spray the crops to kill the weeds and not the corn.

Personally, I try to eat organic as much as possible and avoid pesticides and GMOs.

Interesting. What is your stance on genetic modification when nature does this at random?
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    mgalvin12 wrote: »
    Humans have been selectively breeding traits what we found increased yield or resistance to certain disease or allowed for less water for hundreds of years.

GMO's are nothing more than selective breeding 2.0

Genetically modified is NOT the same as selectively breeding. Selective breeding is the process of developing a plant or animal based on selecting desirable characteristics of the parent. For example, saving seed for replanting from plants within a crop that have shown to be particularly robust; or breeding a white dog with a black patch over its eye via two parents that have the same traits.

Genetically modified organisms is when genes from one species is introduced to an entirely different species by human intervention. For example a fish and a tomato (yes this was done) or a corn plant that is resistant to herbicide, so you can spray the crops to kill the weeds and not the corn.

Personally, I try to eat organic as much as possible and avoid pesticides and GMOs.

fish genes were put into tomato to protect from frost damage. it worked
    corn plant resistant to herbicide increases yield, which accomplished the goal of higher yield and profits.

GMO is good.

I thought they ATTEMPTED to insert a fish gene into a tomato but weren't able to do it, either way it never made the market.

• bonniepl
    bonniepl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I think some are and some are not. Some foods are modified with study and care and for good reasons. Some are for financial gain only and not concerned with health and safety. I think the main thing is transparency. We have a right to know what is modified and what is not on our labels.