Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Are GMOs bad for you?

Options

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Again where are these studies you are referring to. Hard to have an informed conversation when we can't see your data.
  • MsChewMe
    MsChewMe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Oh I googled it an it's food babe that made the claim. She's definitely a credible well scientifically educated source

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,520 Member
    Options
    megpie41 wrote: »
    I avoid GMO if I can. Do I end up eating them? Unfortunately yes because they are in almost everything and most are not labeled. I 100% believe they are harmful. Monsanto's glyphosate is in everything. I try to buy organic or GMO free if I can.

Sure the government says it's safe, but it has come out that monsanto employees have been the ones who write the studies and they slap a scientists name on it. Monsanto doesn't want to "feed the world"...they simply want to line their pockets full of money and are sacrificing our health to do it.

I have spoken to a number of horticulturist who outright say GMO are harmful. Disease and allergies have spiked in the past 10 years. I believe it is due to our food supply. Kids who have food allergies and need epi-pens are on the rise...it all has to do with our food.

This obviously is my own opinion.
    Where's the source for the bolded on this?

And as to disease and allergies, you're NOT taking into consideration that the immense increase in bodyweight has nothing to do with it?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• singingflutelady
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I avoid GMO if I can. Do I end up eating them? Unfortunately yes because they are in almost everything and most are not labeled. I 100% believe they are harmful. Monsanto's glyphosate is in everything. I try to buy organic or GMO free if I can.

Sure the government says it's safe, but it has come out that monsanto employees have been the ones who write the studies and they slap a scientists name on it. Monsanto doesn't want to "feed the world"...they simply want to line their pockets full of money and are sacrificing our health to do it.

I have spoken to a number of horticulturist who outright say GMO are harmful. Disease and allergies have spiked in the past 10 years. I believe it is due to our food supply. Kids who have food allergies and need epi-pens are on the rise...it all has to do with our food.

And as to disease and allergies, you're NOT taking into consideration that the immense increase in bodyweight has nothing to do with it?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Food babe is the one who made this claim.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »
    Obviously. Since it's not backed up by a shred of empirical evidence.

Oh how I love posting in these forums and getting wise crack responses for simply stating my opinions and beliefs. I feel like every post I make I must have fully cited sources...like being back in school.
    Well if it's the opinion of some that Bigfoot exists, SHOULDN'T sources be available to see proof? Or is just going their word enough?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• singingflutelady
    Options
    Oh and an advocacy group called Food Democracy Now
  • singingflutelady
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Also this is the debate forum. Proper debating requires backing up your claims
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Food babe is the one who made this claim.
    Oh, well that makes it SO LEGIT...........................not.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• megpie41
    megpie41 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have said absolutely nothing about food babe. You are the one who mentioned "food babe".
  • singingflutelady
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I have said absolutely nothing about food babe. You are the one who mentioned "food babe".

Well a simple google search shows she and food democracy now are the ones who claim that there is a massive conspiracy theory/cover up/faking studies. Since you didn't post your sources and made me Google it i have no idea who you are citing.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I see you all have taken care of my response for me...no need to respond with any sources. There are plenty of websites that say gmo are harmful. A simple Google search will show that, but of course they are not scientific enough to satisfy your requirements so why bother.

All you guys have it all figured out. GMO is perfectly safe because some studies/fda/government say they are...who am I to form my own opinion and question what they say. I will continue to hold my beliefs and for those who say they are safe, in 30 years I really hope you are correct and I'm wrong...for your sake.

Also, it is a waste of time for anyone to try and back their beliefs with you guys because they simply get sarcastic responses. I really believe a lot of people don't bother posting there opinions because they will only get ganged up for not having the majority opinion.
    Hey, I'm for "beliefs" if there's some legitimate evidence to back it up. I've had debates with FLAT EARTH believers and they are CONVINCED the Earth is flat even with satellite photos, basic and logical reasoning with why the moon and other planets that can be seen through a telescope look round like a ball, etc., but for some reason they can't believe the Earth is that way.
    So do yourself a favor. Find a good peer reviewed clinical study (which are done Universities, independent labs, etc.) to help back your claim. Not a blog, not an "article" and not some journalist with strong beliefs, but something empirical to look at. Objective people will look at it and decide if it's strong enough to change their stance.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the sloppy reading. I'm just skimming all the responses since I mentioned northern corn.

Someone mentioned along the way that organic produce can't have GMO in them. Since we are talking genetics here there's no way to talk about GMO as if it were a contaminant. A food is what it is because of its genetic code. If a GMO indeed can be differentiated from regular stock, it either is modified or it's not.

Is Red Fife wheat GMO or not?

Is northern corn grown in Canada GMO or not?

How about Red Delicious apples?

How about cold sensitive fruiting trees grafted to a hardier root stock?

How about all bananas (which happen to be genetically identical)?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I see you all have taken care of my response for me...no need to respond with any sources. There are plenty of websites that say gmo are harmful. A simple Google search will show that, but of course they are not scientific enough to satisfy your requirements so why bother.

All you guys have it all figured out. GMO is perfectly safe because some studies/fda/government say they are...who am I to form my own opinion and question what they say. I will continue to hold my beliefs and for those who say they are safe, in 30 years I really hope you are correct and I'm wrong...for your sake.

Also, it is a waste of time for anyone to try and back their beliefs with you guys because they simply get sarcastic responses. I really believe a lot of people don't bother posting there opinions because they will only get ganged up for not having the majority opinion.

The issue is that there are plenty of websites that say . . . well, just about anything. It's reasonable for people to have a higher burden of proof than "websites say so."

A simple Google search will pull up people who fervently believe the Loch Ness Monster is real, that we never landed on the moon, that the world is run by reptilian aliens. It will also pull up people who believe that scientists allow their name to be used for Monstanto-written studies that they had nothing to do with. But these claims can't be accepted just because they're showing up online.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I see you all have taken care of my response for me...no need to respond with any sources. There are plenty of websites that say gmo are harmful. A simple Google search will show that, but of course they are not scientific enough to satisfy your requirements so why bother. at all.

Fixed it for you
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    For you to blindly believe that all the FDA studies you read are 100% legit is really telling. The FDA is made up of ex-monsanto employees. I don't have a scientific website to back up this claim, so it's probably "slanderous", but a number of books, articles and documentaries have stated this.

Which books, articles and documentaries? Give us those. Surely those authors cited their sources. Surely.