Guys who lift, getting advice from chicks...?

Options
So I have been hitting the gym for almost two years now. When I first started, I learned everything on my own from bodybuilding.com, youtube, articles & so now.

Lately when I'm at the weight deck I see some guys lifting & I can tell their form is all wrong & it looks like they're about to hurt themselves. At times it's like guys that look in their 30's but then I see I (not trying to be mean or judgmental) boy teenagers who are "tiny" trying to lift heavy weights & everything they're doing is just waaaaay wrong! Just looking at them I cringe!

I know a lot of people at the gym just mind their own business but never have I seen another guy help out ANOTHER guy! I feel like I should say something so they won't get hurt (nicely of course) but I'm not sure how.

I guess I'm asking for those of you who go to the gym, what would you do?

Guys, if a girl came up to you saying you're probably doing it wrong, would be offended? embarrassed? take the advice?

Girls, if you were in my shoes, would you say something?

I feel like it's easier for a guy to go to another guy or even a girl to suggest something rather than a girl going to a guy.

Thoughts?

Replies

• meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I had a guy copy my routine badly, was not sure what to say. I told him my routine was made for me and my weaknesses by a trainer and suggested he get his own.
  • 10UDFG
    10UDFG Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ive had people come upto me and question my methods of lifting, usually im doing something odd that isolates a muscle directly but looks strange haha usually when im doing stiff leg dumbbell deadlifts and everyone loses their minds and jump in to tell me im deadlifting wrong... worse is when im doing light dumbells on my arms and people snicker and laugh cause its light... *slaps forehead* but majority of ego lifters that you see are literally doing it wrong and you can tell by the confidence of how someone lifts rather than the form
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    It's not my place, male or female. I wouldn't go up to a stranger riding a bike without a helmet and tell him or her to wear a helmet. I wouldn't tell a stranger driving recklessly to drive more safely - and even if I did, it likely wouldn't be well-received. I guess I just can't imagine many situations in which people would take kindly to a stranger criticizing them, no matter how constructive and well-meaning the criticism.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    PS - if I see someone likely to injure themselves I would most likely ask one of the PTs to intervene.

Basically this.
    My gym is a bit unusual and the newer trainers take turns to work reception, plus sometimes the gym manager and even the owner (yeah, when Shaun *kitten* Stafford is on the front desk I definitely work a bit harder!!). Also, it's open plan so you can see the whole gym from the reception desk. If you're lifting heavy, it's totally normal to go and borrow whoever's on reception to spot you for your last set or whatever.

So if someone looks like they're actually liable to injure themselves, I'd let whoever was on the desk know to maybe keep an eye on them.

It probably depends on the nature of the gym though... I'm not sure that approach would have worked in any of my old gyms. Then, I'd just leave someone to it, or maybe roll my eyes at a passing staff member and nod in their direction!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Have to vet the sources. Just because you learned form from YouTube doesn't mean it's right. We all remember this world class instructional video (sarcasm) from world famous personality Jillian Michaels.

mhs54ojhncqq.png
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I'd assume she wanted to sleep with me.

kidding... kidding...

If it felt like random advice, I'd mostly ignore it. If it was someone who I'd seen at the gym before and who seemed to know what she was doing, I'd take it under advisement. I'd probably record my next set and watch it later with her comments in mind, then go from there.

That applies to anyone giving me advice.

Ultimately though, I just want to be left alone. But that's not gym/lifting specific, that's pretty much my approach to life.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    So I have been hitting the gym for almost two years now. When I first started, I learned everything on my own from bodybuilding.com, youtube, articles & so now.

Lately when I'm at the weight deck I see some guys lifting & I can tell their form is all wrong & it looks like they're about to hurt themselves. At times it's like guys that look in their 30's but then I see I (not trying to be mean or judgmental) boy teenagers who are "tiny" trying to lift heavy weights & everything they're doing is just waaaaay wrong! Just looking at them I cringe!

I know a lot of people at the gym just mind their own business but never have I seen another guy help out ANOTHER guy! I feel like I should say something so they won't get hurt (nicely of course) but I'm not sure how.

I guess I'm asking for those of you who go to the gym, what would you do?

Guys, if a girl came up to you saying you're probably doing it wrong, would be offended? embarrassed? take the advice?

Girls, if you were in my shoes, would you say something?

I feel like it's easier for a guy to go to another guy or even a girl to suggest something rather than a girl going to a guy.

Thoughts?

Depends on the individual. I wouldn't strike up a conversation with a stranger and leap into "Hey your form sucks", but sharing information with someone you already know would have a better chance at a positive outcome.

Generally speaking women are more detail oriented than men. Knowing this I specifically sought out the insight from a female weightlifter when I started lifting again. For the first few sessions she had me working with a broomstick as any bad movements would be highlighted and often hidden under weights. This was one of the best investments I ever made. I'm lifting heavier than before and injury free.