Guys who lift, getting advice from chicks...?

Options

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    jdlobb wrote: »
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    I don't think anyone is talking about following a girl home because she talked to him...
    How is it such a "no tolerance" issue that we have to exit stage left just because someone points out that most guys are highly optimistic in thinking that if a girl talks to him then he's got a chance?
    Sure, it shows that guys are stupid but if they don't do anything but think that she might be into him...

Are you saying that most men in the gym view women primarily as sexual objects and assume the woman wants to sleep with them if she talks to them?

yep

Speak for yourself.

@3bambi3 that is NOT what I was saying. I was referring to the person who said they had to leave the conversation because it was a no tolerance issue.
    I didn't understand how there's no tolerance for discussing that a lot of guys are too stupid to recognize that some girls are just nice.
    I can understand no tolerance for a dude being a perv about it when a girl approaches him. I have no tolerance for that myself.
    But addressing the issue? Why no tolerance for stating the fact that a lot of guys are that stupid?
    How do we fix it if we don't address it?

I agree and don't understand the overreaction to behavior that we know occurs - with both sexes. Some people just can't take a hint.

If this (unwarranted advances) does happen it is good practice to involve the staff immediately. These issues don't go away with time and need to be confronted clearly and directly.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,507 Member
    Options
    Nah. I just let people do their own thing.

This.

I see cringe worthy activity in the gym all the time.

..... outside of the gym too.

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,507 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I'd assume she wanted to sleep with me.

kidding... kidding...

If it felt like random advice, I'd mostly ignore it. If it was someone who I'd seen at the gym before and who seemed to know what she was doing, I'd take it under advisement. I'd probably record my next set and watch it later with her comments in mind, then go from there.

That applies to anyone giving me advice.

Ultimately though, I just want to be left alone. But that's not gym/lifting specific, that's pretty much my approach to life.

see, you say you're kidding, but....

there's a lot of truth in that. If a girl, especially a fit attractive one, approaches a guy at the gym, there is a STRONG chance that the guy is going to take it as a come on, no matter WHAT the content of the approach is.

So what you're saying is, the force of wishful thinking is strong? :smile:

we're optimists. we are also not smart. the endorphines and testosterone from working out also has a negative impact on our cognitive abilities.

[then you're either really arrogant, or a douche. Or both. Probably both.

you called ?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    The guys at my gym frequently help me - they can see I'm a newbie. Sometimes I take their advice (hey, careful not to look at your feet!) sometimes not (you shouldn't be trying to lift heavy, do lots of reps at lighter weight). As a newbie I'm not often in a position where I can see someone else doing something wrong, but it has happened once, with a teen trying to impress his girlfriend and flailing his feet all over the place trying to bench too heavy. I let him go, no point in embarrassing him in front of the girlfriend.

One option would be to ask questions about the person's form. That way you're not leaping in with criticism and if there's a reason they do it that way, they can tell you. Then in the context of the conversation you could explain the way you do it.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Where did OP go? I was hoping she'd tell us how our training is all waaaay wrong.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but this is a no tolerance issue for me, so I'm just going to back out now.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

i'm not sure what i said that seems to have upset you. I was pointing out that guys, especially most "gym guys" are likely to be kinda douchy. especially with regards to women in the gym. The number of times I've seen variations of "how do I hit on girls at the gym" conversations come up is mind numbing.

a woman approaching a guy in a gym just seems like a recipe for disaster

He's got a point, to a point. It's very hard sometimes for women to approach men without being asked for coffee or drink at the end of the conversation. Not everyone does it, but the majority yes.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I don't like when anyone talks to me at the gym.

• riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Was at the gym last month and a gentleman approached my daughter, it was obvious he wasn't trying to hit on her, and was very polite in pointing out how she should widen her stance and point her toes differently while squatting. She was very offended by it, and felt embarrassed by it.
    Sometimes your intentions can do more harm than good. I thought he was friendly and polite but she saw it as a know-it-all who ruined her workout!

So..maybe consider saving advice for friends, or people who ask. Not everyone will be thankful for it.
  • maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I put my headphones in for a reason. I use to work out at a gym on Fort Bragg with the special forces guys and I know they knew what they were doing. I still didn't want their advice or to be chatted to while in the gym. I go to some classes at my gym now and in a class setting in down to talk, I'm open to advice. On the floor not so much. Let me do me and I assure you I'll let you do you.
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Once when I was doing low bar squats, a guy came running up to tell me --- mid rep --- that I was going to wreck my back because I had the bar in the wrong place. All of the unsolicited advice I've gotten at the gym was similar in quality. When I used to be a sorta kinda competitive runner, same thing used to happen - people who didn't look like they could break 28 in a 5k would give me suggestions when I was in the middle of 5:30 mile intervals or 19:00 5k tempo runs.

• tigrig
    tigrig Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Typically my headphones are in for a reason, I'm pretty anti social at the gym(well actually everywhere). If someone comes up and ask for advice or a spot then I'll gladly give it in a cliff notes fashion so I can get back to what I'm at the gym for
  • richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Random advice giving is bound to solicit a bad reaction regardless of gender. Better to flag it to a trainer
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I'd rather just mind my own business
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    many moons ago I was at a Gym, I was trying a "new to me" machine and apparently I was doing it incorrectly. I had this very attractive young lady come up to me and advised that I was doing it wrong and instructed me on how to do it correctly. I found it very helpful and not embarrassed.

So my wife has a new intern at work, her intern tells my wife about this guy who was going to hurt himself doing an exercise at the gym and she had to correct him.

Yep you guessed right, that was me and my wife put it together because I had told her the story and when she called me and asked me to describe the girl....well it was a match.

I went to her work and we confirmed it and had a good laugh.

I rather take advice then get hurt, anything else, well that is their problem.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Random advice giving is bound to solicit a bad reaction regardless of gender. Better to flag it to a trainer

it's not up to a trainer either...unless it's the trainer hired by the person getting the advice.