Guys who lift, getting advice from chicks...?

Options

Replies

• jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    jdlobb wrote: »
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    I don't think anyone is talking about following a girl home because she talked to him...
    How is it such a "no tolerance" issue that we have to exit stage left just because someone points out that most guys are highly optimistic in thinking that if a girl talks to him then he's got a chance?
    Sure, it shows that guys are stupid but if they don't do anything but think that she might be into him...

Are you saying that most men in the gym view women primarily as sexual objects and assume the woman wants to sleep with them if she talks to them?

yep

No.
    Please.
    Believe it or not, some of us have the intelligence to discern and interpret motive. We're not all deluded by a notion that we are absolutely irresistible.

"most"

"some"

neither her statement or yours are mutually exclusive.
  • Cat3141
    Cat3141 Posts: 162 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Age, gender, etc. should have nothing to do with it. You may have a fair bit of knowledge in this area, but really, two things are important here (1) you have no formal training or certification in fitness, (2) they did NOT ask you for your advice and you have no professional relationship with them. Given those two things, you should mind your own. Generally speaking, unless (2) is true, you should probably stay out of it.

Also, as others have pointed out, a guy may take this the wrong way, and you could end up with him following you around the gym. It shouldn't be this way, but it still tends to happen.
  • jdlobb
    edited September 2017
    Options
    If everyone minded their own business at the gym, and nobody talked to anybody, the world would be a happy place.

that's my take

only thing I wanna hear in the gym is "you using this?"

verbal response not required.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    A general rule I apply to all advice is if it's unsolicited don't give it.

Yeah, this is a discussion that my husband and I had recently. He's very free with giving advice to his friends and family and I'm much more . . . hands-off. If I am asked, I'll always do my best to try to help but I rarely just offer my opinion (especially on things like relationships or children or weight/health issues). I figure if someone wants help to live their life, they're going to ask me.
  • jdlobb
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Warning: If you do offer unsolicited advice expect someone to complain about it on MFP.

Or think you're trying to take them to bone town, apparently.

I just calls em like I sees em.

Those guys in the gym are the same ones scamming ways to get girls to take off their headphones and pay attention to them in the gym.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Warning: If you do offer unsolicited advice expect someone to complain about it on MFP.

So carry mace and/or credit card depending on your situation?
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »

I just calls em like I sees em.

Those guys in the gym are the same ones scamming ways to get girls to take off their headphones and pay attention to them in the gym.

Or maybe a lot of people at the gym are actually just uneducated when it comes to proper form?
    Maybe they learned it all on BB com :|
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I usually have a woman spot me on bench on Thursdays - she's a fellow competitive powerlifter. She tells me when things look different/weird/something. I listen to her, as she's shown she knows what she's talking about. Conversely, I ignore a couple of the guys at the gym, as they've shown themselves to be completely clueless.

If someone told me they saw something on BB.com or youtube, or just read something, I'd probably put my earbuds back in and walk away - male or female.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone is talking about following a girl home because she talked to him...
    How is it such a "no tolerance" issue that we have to exit stage left just because someone points out that most guys are highly optimistic in thinking that if a girl talks to him then he's got a chance?
    Sure, it shows that guys are stupid but if they don't do anything but think that she might be into him...

Are you saying that most men in the gym view women primarily as sexual objects and assume the woman wants to sleep with them if she talks to them?

That's not what I'm saying (and I'm certainly not saying they should!).
    I'm only saying that most guys are dense enough that if they're into a girl and she's nice to him, he'll be overly optimistic that she likes him too. Especially if she initiates conversation.
    Lots of guys are unable to distinguish between "being nice" and "being interested."
    Strangely, if a guy isn't into a girl and she's nice, he recognizes that she's just friendly.

How do we jump from that to "women are sexual objects?"

My apologies, I meant to quote the other dude who responded in the affirmative to my question.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

That's not what I'm saying (and I'm certainly not saying they should!).
    I'm only saying that most guys are dense enough that if they're into a girl and she's nice to him, he'll be overly optimistic that she likes him too. Especially if she initiates conversation.
    Lots of guys are unable to distinguish between "being nice" and "being interested."
    Strangely, if a guy isn't into a girl and she's nice, he recognizes that she's just friendly.

How do we jump from that to "women are sexual objects?"

My apologies, I meant to quote the other dude who responded in the affirmative to my question.

Gotcha. No problem.
    Honestly, it irritated me that he responded on my behalf.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Would you appreciate a man (or woman) trying to correct your form?

Sometimes I have men ask me about my programming...sometimes it's legit and sometimes it's flirting. I'll "talk shop," but I'm not going to go out of my way to correct someone's form. Not my back...not my problem.