Wish Food Labels Weren't So Scammy!

Options

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    The only package I've ever been frustrated by was a box of granola cereal. When looking more closely at the box, it said 10 servings per package, but there were four individual inner packages. Yup, each inner package was 2.5 servings. Fortunately, I read the box and weighed the serving.

It seems to me that you are becoming increasingly aware of foods and food labels, and seeing demons where there really isn't anything. Things that are right on the label aren't hidden. Serving sizes that are right on the label aren't hidden. It's like with everything else you purchase (vehicles, homes, etc.) it is on you to educate yourself. Keep working at it, keep learning.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    cashidy wrote: »
    And obviously I am exaggerating, but there does need to be some sort of change and false advertising really needs to be cracked down on.

It's not false advertising to say, for example, 220 calories per serving...can of ravioli contains 2 servings. They're telling you it's 2 servings and each serving is 220 calories...whether you split that with someone else or not would be up to you. Also, serving sizes are established by the FDA, not the company making the product. The FDA is making some changes to their serving sizes to more accurately reflect what an individual would eat...but it's the FDA, not the company making the food that determines what they have to put on the label as a serving.

As far as something like All Natural Apple Juice being a flavored drink instead...I can't say that I've ever seen that.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    And obviously I am exaggerating, but there does need to be some sort of change and false advertising really needs to be cracked down on.

It's not false advertising to say, for example, 220 calories per serving...can of ravioli contains 2 servings. They're telling you it's 2 servings and each serving is 220 calories...whether you split that with someone else or not would be up to you. Also, serving sizes are established by the FDA, not the company making the product. The FDA is making some changes to their serving sizes to more accurately reflect what an individual would eat...but it's the FDA, not the company making the food that determines what they have to put on the label as a serving.

As far as something like All Natural Apple Juice being a flavored drink instead...I can't say that I've ever seen that.
    I've seen that one quite a bit. In the US, at least, "All Natural" isn't a phrase that the FDA regulates, so companies have a LOT of leeway in terms of when they use it. It's effectively meaningless in terms of giving you information about the product.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I've seen that one quite a bit. In the US, at least, "All Natural" isn't a phrase that the FDA regulates, so companies have a LOT of leeway in terms of when they use it. It's effectively meaningless in terms of giving you information about the product.

In the US, "juice" is a regulated term (probably other places too, but I'm not as familiar).

"Fruit juice" is limited to 100% juice. If other things are added, it has to be called "juice cocktail" or "juice drink." So if OP has seen something called "All natural apple juice" and it has other ingredients, that's something actionable that can be addressed.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I bought some trail mix might look like a single serve package to someone unaware of how caloric nuts are, but it was in fact 2.5 servings. The label did of course say that there were 2.5 servings, but they could have been more obvious about it, which many companies are moving towards.

I picked up some of those because they looked good and had some solid nutrients. But when I looked at that little package and realized there were 2-3 servings in it and each had 180 calories ... pass.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    Why would you assume that a product contains a single serving by default?

Pints of Ben & Jerrys aren't single servings?

(But, yeah, not so scammy if you actually read the label :) )

Of course they are.