Real Food Lovers

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    ToriMalt wrote: »
    As responses to this are coming in quicker than I can reply to, I'll just make one last clarification. I was in no way insulting, criticizing, or preaching to anyone. Simply looking for other like minded people. In fact, I was simply excited that I learned to make some awesome homemade flavored coffee creamer this morning without all the additives found in the store bought kind and I was looking for people to share that kind of thing with and who would share recipes and "hacks" like that with me. I never said I didn't eat anything processed. In fact I love diet mt dew and Cheetos, two of the worst foods there are. I just try to outweigh the bad choices with what I feel are better ones. And I did not coin the phrase "real food movement". I thought that anyone who watched food network or reads food blogs would be familiar with that phrase. It's just what it's called. Best wishes to everyone on their health journey, whatever that may look like.

Unfortunately you've stumbled onto a hot button topic that's been discussed many times on these forums, so people can be a bit trigger-happy with their responses. @WinoGelato is right - these threads rarely go well. I hope you'll stick around, read the forums, and search past threads for inspiration.
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    @ToriMalt no one is picking on you. Some topics just have a tendency to turn into heated arguments from both sides, and this is one of them. Don't take it personally, but historically, these things don't go well. That's all the longtime posters are saying.

That being said, I'd love to hear more about your coffee creamer. I've tried creating a bunch of variations, and none of the ones that tasted good came in at fewer calories than half and half.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Don't eat bad food.
  • beaglady
    OK, here's a hack, since you have chickens. Every fall, my old, moulting hens turn into pints of delicious, rich chicken stock that I use all year for quick soups and stews. I hatch my own, so extra roosters have a similar fate as the base for soups and stews. If you don't have a pressure canner, you will want to get one.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I tend to cook more with minimally-processed foods, but I'll still grab a veggie dog to snack on or make some Gardein if I don't feel like doing something from scratch. Like today is when I cook for the week. I just made some wild rice and millet croquettes that are about as 'whole foods' as I can get without harvesting the veggies from my own patch or pressing my own olive oil.

But, when it came time for lunch, I rolled up some Gardein imitation ground beef with Daiya mozzarella, jarred salsa and some shredded carrot and scallion in a flour tortilla I got from the supermarket.

Most days are like that. I don't go out to eat that often (or order in) and it's rare that I'll have a whole frozen dinner. But convenience foods are... convenient. A number of them fit my calories, and sodium isn't currently an issue for me.

Off to make a vegetable soup now. With fresh veggies, homemade stock... and pre-ground, heaven-only-knows-how-long-they've-been-sitting-on-the-shelf seasonings. Par for my course. ;)
  • beaglady
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I would never had thought that "creamer" was something you needed a recipe for, maybe because I am a black coffee fan, but even back in the day when I was not I would add plain old dairy, like cream or milk. I didn't realize some would find this unusual.

In my case, I was hoping to come up with a homemade, low calorie alternative for the yummy, but high cal, highly processed Carnation French Vanilla creamer. I gave up. Anything I made that was creamy enough had enough calories that I might as well just use half and half. My compromise is almond milk on weekdays, half and half on the weekends.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    I tried eating imaginary food for a while, but it got mixed with the real food. Things got complex.

Sounds like you should absolutely get to the root of a problem of that magnitude squared away as soon as possible.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2017
    beaglady wrote: »
    I would never had thought that "creamer" was something you needed a recipe for, maybe because I am a black coffee fan, but even back in the day when I was not I would add plain old dairy, like cream or milk. I didn't realize some would find this unusual.

In my case, I was hoping to come up with a homemade, low calorie alternative for the yummy, but high cal, highly processed Carnation French Vanilla creamer. I gave up. Anything I made that was creamy enough had enough calories that I might as well just use half and half. My compromise is almond milk on weekdays, half and half on the weekends.

I was playing around with low carb ice cream (I love creamy and don't care about sugar, so figured it might be easy) and made one that was basically half greek yogurt (plain), half whipping cream, vanilla extract, and cardamom (the point was to do cardamom). It was good, but got too hard in the freezer (texture was off) and so when I had it the second time I decided it would work better in coffee, kind of like an affogato. It ended up being a potentially delicious creamer, but I don't normally use creamer and it was (obv) very high cal, about the same as normal ice cream.

I did have some one morning in my coffee as my own version of bulletproof coffee.

If the concern is "processing," though, I really don't think half and half is, and certainly milk and cream is not. High cal, however, since it's not the processing that adds the cals.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Never heard of the Real Food Movement. But we grow, raise, hunt or fish for the majority of our food. Does that count?
  • twinkles4
    twinkles4 Posts: 124 Member
    beaglady wrote: »

At the risk of derailing this thread further.

I have no idea if this classifies as a 'real food' (or even what that means :confused: ) but this is the recipe I use for creamer. It's pretty awesome by itself, but it's also good as a base. Sometimes I add in pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon.
    https://againstallgrain.com/2012/01/19/french-vanilla-coffee-creamer-dairy-free/