Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Do you say something?

Options
celiah909
celiah909 Posts: 141 Member
Do you say something if you have friends or people in general say things about weight loss you disagree with or do you just let them do their thing? Does it matter how well you know the person if you do say something?

Asking out of curiosity, I don’t say anything against it but also don’t agree. I tend to avoid getting too far into the conversation.

Examples:

Friends say they burned 400 calories doing 30 minutes of housework? (As seen in MFP feed)

Friend says everyone needs a MLM cleanse for weight loss? Or XYZ supplement for weight loss/keeping muscle/etc. (from a friend who sells & supports Advocare)

Friend says their new weight loss doctor says they gained 100 pounds because their body went into starvation mode? (From a family member)

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    It depends... but usually yes.
  • celiah909
    celiah909 Posts: 141 Member
    Options

I wanted to add that I’m in part asking cause I feel I should say something but I never do
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    It would depend on how well I knew them. Except for the cleanse thing. I'd likely say 'No, I don't believe that.' to anyone.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I usually smile and say, "I lost 72 lbs by counting calories and eating whatever I wanted. Good luck!" Of course, I stopped counting, ate way over, and gained 25 lbs back so I haven't been saying anything lately. If there's an easy science to point to, I will, like, "That was debunked. Google -starvation mode debunked-." Thankfully I don't know anyone who does pyramid schemes.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    celiah909 wrote: »

I wanted to add that I’m in part asking cause I feel I should say something but I never do

Just like here on the forums. I'm that guy in meatspace too. Speaking truth(sometimes to power) and bringing the harsh painful reality.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    celiah909 wrote: »
    Friends say they burned 400 calories doing 30 minutes of housework? (As seen in MFP feed)

No. If they ask, then maybe.
    Friend says everyone needs a MLM cleanse for weight loss? Or XYZ supplement for weight loss/keeping muscle/etc. (from a friend who sells & supports Advocare)

Yes.
    Friend says their new weight loss doctor says they gained 100 pounds because their body went into starvation mode? (From a family member)

Yes.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person and circumstances. If it's just someone I know telling a story at lunch or something, usually not. I might ask a question, again depending. If it's someone I know well and know has an interest and enjoys the kind of conversation, I might get into it more.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Unless they specifically ask what I think or my advice.. I will usually let them be.