Can a woman be too fit to be beautiful?

Options
There was a debate on the news this morning that the following women are too fit to be beautiful: Madonna, Cameron Diaz, Serena Williams, Kelly Ripa. Really? I would really like to hear some male opinions on this but ladies please feel free to share yours as well.

Personally, I think all of the ladies mentioned above are beautiful. I am not trying to look like any of those ladies but I do want to lose weight and get toned. I don't necessarily want to look muscular but I want to look strong and lean with some muscle definition, especially in my arms.

Just curious about other opinions on this debate.

Replies

• McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    They ARE beautiful. Jealousy plays a big part around here.

That said, I wouldn't want to look that thin and built. I like to have substantially more fat on me than that. But, much LESS fat than I have now! XD
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    To me thats utter bs.

Nothing can be better than a healthy glow in a woman, and biology says that women have to work damn hard at getting to what people would see as muscular.
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Just the assumption that a woman can be too fit to be beautiful is beyond ridiculous.
  • CoachKaren
    Options
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Self Confidence makes a person beautiful, in my opinion. And there is Beauty in everyone. I agree with you I think that the women you mentioned are beautiful. They really need to find something REAL to talk about.
  • MLgarcia3
    MLgarcia3 Posts: 503
    Options
    I think they're beautiful too.. before I decided to lose weight and get healthy, I didn't think muscles on women was attractive. Now, that's exactly what I'm working on! I'm currently obsessed with Jamie Eason and hope to be buff like her one day :-)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    personally, i think madonna's arms are too muscley, i'm not a fan. however i saw cameron diaz in bad teacher, and she is absolutely GORGEOUS!!!!

its really a case of each to their own, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that!
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    That's silly. Those women are gorgeous!! This is why I'm convinced that the media is evil, though, at least to a certain degree... Constant criticism of women to the point where no one thinks they're beautiful! It's so sad!
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Self Confidence makes a person beautiful, in my opinion. And there is Beauty in everyone. I agree with you I think that the women you mentioned are beautiful. They really need to find something REAL to talk about.

My opinion as well.
  • dont_u_mean_carrots
    Options
    Hogwash!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

Totally AGREE!!!!!!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I wish the media would stay out of these types of issues. It's crap like that that destroys are daughters' self-image, and makes them hold themselves to unrealistic views of their body. As a mother of two girls, one underweight and one overweight, that whole concept just p
    me off!!!!! :mad: :explode:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Some of the pictures of Madonna are kinda icky to me, but everyone else looked fantastic. But I think in Madge's problem might be more too low body fat than being too fit or too muscular. I notice that all the ideal BF% charts go up with age, and she's not a spring chicken anymore.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Do you mean beautiful or sexy? To me they're two completely different things.

Beauty is facial, sexy is ...err...body-ial.

Muscles don't have anything to do with being beautiful imo. They don't make a woman sexy for me, but i prefer more curves.

But, its all personal preference. :)
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I do agree you can be very fit and beautifull, but I DO get what they're saying. Seen this recent pic on TMZ of Cameron and it doesn't "scream" sexy to me ( http://www.tmz.com/2011/08/01/cameron-diaz/ ), or a way a woman should look, but it's JUST my opinion. It's probably not the way society views as a woman with a good body. I personally would love a flat stomach, but I've gotta have curves in all the right places.
  • penny39
    penny39 Posts: 266 Member
    Options

I agree!
  • darlynnwd
    Options
    Those women are beautiful, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder for sure. I read an article once that said Madonna never uses weights over 2 lbs for her arms, just does more reps. That way she doesn't bulk up too much. I'm working toward less flab all over, but especially in my "last hoorah" places (arms, gut, & thighs). Too fit to be beautiful? Is there really nothing more important to talk about? This would be why I seldom watch newscasts & read what I want online instead.
  • sutekh
    sutekh Posts: 19
    Options
    It depends on what your own very personal definition of 'beautiful' is. As I've gotten older, I've moved away from a defintion of beautiful based purely on physical appearance. I believe that if you are an intelligent man, you HAVE to go this way at some point.

My own defintion of beauty now includes such unquantifiable things as intelligence and sense of humour. I know or have know many women who the world wouldn't classify as beautiful on a physical level, but I would, because of the above criteria.

But that's just me and I realise I'm probably in a minority with this...
  • Bethany28
    Bethany28 Posts: 263
    Options
    WOW! I think they are all beautiful! I love Cameraon Diaz's arms! I would love to have arms that toned!!
  • Bethany28
    Bethany28 Posts: 263
    Options
    It depends on what your own very personal definition of 'beautiful' is. As I've gotten older, I've moved away from a defintion of beautiful based purely on physical appearance. I believe that if you are an intelligent man, you HAVE to go this way at some point.

My own defintion of beauty now includes such unquantifiable things as intelligence and sense of humour. I know or have know many women who the world wouldn't classify as beautiful on a physical level, but I would, because of the above criteria.

But that's just me and I realise I'm probably in a minority with this...

SInce there is no like button I will just let you know that I like your post :)
  • heatherlh83
    heatherlh83 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I think it's just a matter of preference and a lot of people don't seem to find that kind of muscle definition attractive on women. You can be very fit without those kind of muscles so it's just a matter of what kind of build someone finds attractive. I think "too fit to be beautiful" was a stupid way for the media to put that...they pick people apart if they're overweight, they pick people apart if they're underweight and now if they're too muscular? Ugh, women just can't win.