I was FINALLY gonna talk to Hot Cafe Guy...

Options
Christen850
Christen850 Posts: 19 Member
I often go to a particular local cafe to grade papers and lesson-plan. This one guy, henceforth known as Hot Cafe Guy, is *always* here. I never have the guts to talk to him for 2 reasons:
1) He looks perpetually focused/angry.
2) I am shy and insecure.

Today was going to be the day! Feeling confident, good hair-day, etc. I packed up my laptop and headed for the cafe. I knew in my gut that HCG would be there.

And he is here, of course!
However...
He is currently being chatted up by a lovely young brunette.
This is literally the first time in a year that I’ve seen HCG smile.
Guess I can focus on getting work done...

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's his sister.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Have a 2nd coffee shop handy in case this doesn't pan out for you....all the best.
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    _barefoot_ wrote: »
    If he is hot looking , then I am pretty sure he gets hit on a lot ...
    Not someone you would want to get involved with , especially if you are insecure .
    save you're self from a heart break .

A lot of good looking people rarely get hit on because of people assuming that they must get hit on all the time, or because their looks make people feel intimidated.

game theory level 2..

now, game theory level 3

A lot of good looking people get hit on because people assume that A lot of good looking people rarely get hit on because of people assuming that they must get hit on all the time, or because their looks make people feel intimidated.
  • KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I'd say if you don't see a ring go for it. Maybe incorporate the ol' "bend and snap"
    ome9entawub6.gif
  • Jarvis95
    Jarvis95 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Oh no!!! you look like a lovely young brunette!! Do it tomorrow. What's the worst thing that can happen? If he's not interested, there's other HCGs in the sea!! :)
  • FeelingAlive
    FeelingAlive Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is incredibly good looking. I went for him with confidence. Now he's stuck with me lol
  • Renaissance_Turtle
    Renaissance_Turtle Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    hellvee wrote: »
    Men do not like those who approach them. Well, most men. Men are chasers. The best you can do is offer mystery and be aloof.

Is this hunter gatherer theory? I saw two male goats fighting over a female today. I suppose that's how it still works too.
    More like hunting vs fishing. A hyena wears it'self out chasing food down only to have a lion come along & eat it for him. A fisherman has a nice leisurely day enjoying nature, uses the right lure, goes home with his catch & enjoys fish tacos, some whiskey & falls asleep from being content.
  • jondspen
    jondspen Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    It wasn't this guy was it? :)
    4luas6geyr7w.jpg
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Men do not like those who approach them. Well, most men. Men are chasers. The best you can do is offer mystery and be aloof.

It's 2017.

I don't know what 2017 has to do with it. When I was single I was exactly the way @Cutaway_Collar says. Though I don't know if most men are like that.

OP, you look great as well. You should go for it imo.
  • sw33tp3a1
    sw33tp3a1 Posts: 5,065 Member
    Options
    hellvee wrote: »

Is this hunter gatherer theory? I saw two male goats fighting over a female today. I suppose that's how it still works too.

OP - If you want something you go for it, the worst he can say is no. In fact, he won't say no. He'll probably be courteous and chat you up a bit. Be friendly and see where it goes, at the very worst you've gained a friend.

Regardless of the outcome you've gained experience + you'll never have the feeling of regret of not knowing 'what if' you hadn't drummed up the courage.

Personal development is never a wasted cause.

Oh liver, this is the best advice I've read so far from you. Personal growth is always a gain.
  • Christen850
    Christen850 Posts: 19 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

I promise I’m not trolling. I just have a dorky sense of humor. Also, I am simply incapable of thinking of normal social interaction scenarios.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Just because this guy had a conversation with someone else doesn't mean you can't talk to him. If he was responding in a friendly way to someone else maybe that could make it easier to approach him.
    After a year going to the same cafe you might try smiling and saying hi every now and then to the other regulars even if they aren't hot guys. Get some practice.