Ketogenic Diet Starter here!

Options
Hi all! Looking for some tips and advice from anyone who has done or is on the Ketogenic Diet. I am a Mom of 2 working full time, looking to make this as easy as possible! Any food or meal suggestions would be great as well!

Thank you!

Replies

• Tragfan
    Tragfan Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I’m just starting Keto as well :) I’ve eaten low carb before, so this is similar just have to up the fats! I love how flexible this way of eating is. Tons of recipes on Pinterest!
  • ktaveroni86x
    ktaveroni86x Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    right, i was just researching the best protein fats ect and there really is a great range! I will check out pinterest as well, thank you!! Good Luck on your journey!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    These MFP groups have a LOT of info that may be of help:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

My advice is lots of salt. You need 3000-5000 mg of sodium a day to replace what you lose when you cut carbs. That's approximately 2 teaspoons of salt.

Good luck!
  • cristo168
    cristo168 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am working on my recipes for keto. I have been on keto almost 3 months and lost 30 pounds. You mentioned you have 2 kids. Are you going to put them on the same diet? From what i have read a true keto diet is not optimal for growing children. Even for adults it should be done seasonal. Let me know if you need more info. I can share some links.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I did keto for about a year, then ditched it and now I just follow a general balanced diet. I liked bread and pasta too much and keto substitutions just didn't cut it for me.

Make sure to keep your electrolytes balanced. Take in extra potassium chloride, magnesium citrate and sodium. You can buy salt substitutes for your potassium to sprinkle onto food or into your drinks. Much cheaper than tablets. Watch out for constipation, magnesium will help a lot with that.
  • dustinjbrock
    dustinjbrock Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've done keto for a while. I'm a trucker so when I'm on the road, my optiins for the diet are a little limited but whem im home.... i absolutelt love it!

There are so many recipes you can make of all your favorite foods! Alot of cooking and prep work for them but it makes it seem like im not even on a diet.

I've tried 5 different keto pizza recipes and loved them all! Love a diet where I can eat pizza or chicken thighs in a creme sauce.
  • keepingupwithketo
    Options
    I'm new at keto as well! Any recipes and tips would be greatly appreciated!!
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    the diet dr site has some really great recipes for low carb and for keto.
  • KetoPhillip
    KetoPhillip Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I've lost 43lbs on the keto diet so far. There is a app called Total Keto Diet where you can find recipes and also get updates of new recipes as well. Good luck on your journey, you can do it!
  • ktaveroni86x
    ktaveroni86x Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone!!! :)
  • kphelan03
    kphelan03 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    There are some excellent keto groups on facebook. The best one to try and lose weight with is call Ketogenic dieters. They are for nutritional keto, not medical which is slightly different. You dont need to ingest as much fat as the other groups say you do if you are trying to lose weight
  • AndoRules
    AndoRules Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Been on keto for 4 weeks today, down 20lbs. I try to change my meals up to avoid stagnation and boredom. Nothing will destroy your will to continue eating better than getting sick of everything you eat.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    AndoRules wrote: »
    Been on keto for 4 weeks today, down 20lbs. I try to change my meals up to avoid stagnation and boredom. Nothing will destroy your will to continue eating better than getting sick of everything you eat.

Losing 5lbs a week is NOT healthy.
  • ewartm12
    ewartm12 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Done this diet and lost shed loads of weight and then rebounded. The key is how you come off this unnatural way of eating. Think of pressing a ball down in a swimming pool and then letting go of it. Your appetite will respond in a similar way unless you manage re-entry to the real world.
    Good luck everyone
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Chances are a few pounds are water weight.
  • skytoproberts
    skytoproberts Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Looking for some tips and advice from anyone who has done or is on the Ketogenic Diet. I am a Mom of 2 working full time, looking to make this as easy as possible! Any food or meal suggestions would be great as well!

Thank you!

I just started my keto diet as well, and unfortunately time is never on my side... a friend suggested I check out www.ketofridge.com. It is a pretty sweet Keto meal prep service... Ordered from them twice sofar the menu seems to change each week, and has some pretty tasty meals. Had alligator last week, and going to try the bacon kangaroo burrito this week.
  • ironjay37
    ironjay37 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Best of luck on your keto lifestyle, may you succeed in all you do.
  • dustinjbrock
    dustinjbrock Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Healthier than obesity.
  • stepea83
    stepea83 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    im new to it as well, so far so good.....

i tend to make pulled pork using the slow cooker at the weekend which does me for around 3/4 days for lunches or dinners. quick and easy. accompanied with some sort of salad, cheese and mayo or hot sauce.

chicken wings

bacon, eggs and avocado (butter and/or mayo for adding flavor to eggs)

if your from the UK look out for Heck Sausages in the supermarket. taste awesome and pretty lean in terms of carbs.