First time posting, have I been losing weight too fast?

Options

Replies

• ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Yes, you're losing weight too fast and I'd be concerned about long term negative consequences if I were you. You're absolutely underfueling your activity if you're losing that much that fast and it will catch up with you in time.

Having said that you can't go back and change things, so move forward with a better long term plan.

For what it's worth if I were in your position I'd lower my weight loss goal to 1.5 pounds/wk and increase my calorie intake. I'd also start using a weight trending app to get a better picture of your actual weight loss. And I'd start weighing daily or at least every other day so the trending app can get more data to make projections.

Like you, I've never been uber strict with my logging. The trending app helps me keep track of my progress over time so I don't need to be. I'm just not interested in weighing and measuring everything I eat. It's worked well for my over the last 8 months and 35 pounds.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    tevihn wrote: »
    Mfp suggest anywhere between 1200 and 1770 for me, and that's what I've been waiting typically closer to the 1200 mark. Rarely ever lower

Mpf would never give a man 1200 calories.

Actually, it glitches sometimes and this has happened before.

OP, the 1200 is a glitch that occasionally happens in the MFP system. 1500 is the recommended absolute minimum for males and usually MFP doesn't let a male set his calories below that number. If your TDEE is 2450ish, then you shouldn't even be losing 2 pounds per week anymore. At your height and weight, it's time to start looking at 1 pound a week or so of weight loss for health purposes. You're only 40 lbs off of a healthy weight now. :)
  • tevihn
    tevihn Posts: 12 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Deleted Because im just learning this site
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Mfp suggest anywhere between 1200 and 1770 for me, and that's what I've been waiting typically closer to the 1200 mark. Rarely ever lower

Did you go to the Goals page > View Guided Setup? Make sure all of your demographics are correct.

I'm 5'7", 145 lbs, 47 years old, and female, and my daily calorie goal is higher than 1200 calories. 1200 is the minimum it gives women, before any exercise calories. Men who are 6'1" and weigh over 200 lbs should be well above that.
  • tevihn
    Options
    lf95f8e0zqxg.png

Mfp would never give a man 1200 calories.

Just hit complete diary on a day I hadnt put any food in yet. 1200-1500
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yep, even if you're eating more than you're logging, you're still not eating enough.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you've gotten good guidance, but here's an excellent thread on the topic:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10569458/why-eating-too-little-calories-is-a-bad-idea/p1
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Alright guys, thank you so much for the information, I really appreciate it. Im going to start eating a minimum of 1500.

I wanted to lose weight and be healthy, not just lose weight.

Thanks again for the awesome help and support!

Onwards and upwards

Glad to hear you're going to plan to eat more and you can do whatever you want of course but i'd consider making your minimum closer to 2000 at least based on your current rate of loss. Take it from someone who has lost 80-100 pounds twice. The first time I did it exactly the same way your currently doing it, rapidly with a huge deficit. I ended up "skinny fat," very unhappy with my physique and I gained it all back almost as quickly. The second time I lost the weight I did it with a modest deficit of 1-2 lbs a week and lifted to retain my muscle mass. The second time I had great results as far as my ending physique and have maintained it for nearly three years.
  • tevihn
    Options
    Gonna be a little long here.

Go to My Home > Settings > Diary settings and down near the bottom of the page you can set your diary private, public , friends only or locked with a key. Set it to public and we can see it.

Please don't feel that people are attacking you. people think that what you are doing is not in your best interest and can get a bit passionate about it, but no one is attacking.

Take the time to read through some of the getting started stickies in this forum. There is a ton of good information there.

But, in short, losing at the rate you are means you are losing more than fat. You think you are gaining muscle as they are more defined with less fat around them, but you can't lose at the rate you have been and not be losing muscle. You weren't that big to start with. And at ~230 and 6'1", I don't think 2 lbs per week is your best goal now. I'm 6" and ~225 and have scaled back to 1.5 lbs per week, thinking of dropping to 1 lb. I really want to retain my muscle as much as possible and slower weight loss will help this, as will my other activities. Remember, you needed a fair bit of muscle to carry the extra fat. It is easier to hold onto that muscle as the fat drops, then it is to lose both and try to get the muscle back after.

I'd suggest you put you stats into MFP, at 1.5 lb loss and see what it gives you. Eat at least that much and 1/2 your exercise calories, and see what your actual loss rate is for ~ 6 weeks.

As to how to get to 1500, have a beer now and then. Enjoy a Big Mac once a month. Don't be so focused on the weight loss that you stop doing things you like. Feel free to look at my diary if you like. Just know it was thanksgiving this last weekend and not my best 4 days (especially pub food Friday).

Just checked what you said to check on my settings, and it is indeed to public.

And thanks for your other suggestions. The only reason I say that I am actually gaining muscle is because I'm developing a muscle in my arm that I've for sure never had before, at least not to the extent that it's showing now. And my arms are indeed thicker and more pronounced than ever before. Even when they had more fat on them, they are actually bigger, if not the same size or slightly larger, than they were whenever I first started losing weight. And this has only started to develop in the past month of lifting weights.

What I think is the most likely suspect here is that since I'm not actually weighing every single thing I eat (Things like peanut butter, miracle whip, ketchup, condiments in general, I ALWAYS weigh those) is playing a slight factor into all of this and I'm actually eating closer to maybhe 1300, or 1400.

All of that being said, I appreciate everything that you guys have offered, and I look forward to future of my journey!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Bonus; you've lost a significant amount of weight in fifty days, and you are feeling a lot better about yourself.

Danger; the weight loss and ultra low calories is not sustainable. Don't be confused about this. Many have told you that 1,500 a day is your minimum.

Watch that you get your minimum for protein daily too, so you can be healthy and show off those beautiful muscles you are building.
  • tevihn
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Bonus; you've lost a significant amount of weight in fifty days, and you are feeling a lot better about yourself.

Danger; the weight loss and ultra low calories is not sustainable. Don't be confused about this. Many have told you that 1,500 a day is your minimum.

Watch that you get your minimum for protein daily too, so you can be healthy and show off those beautiful muscles you are building.

Yep! And i fully plan on heeding the advice everyone here as kindly given to me!

And yes, I've made sure, if anything, to make sure I always hit my protein for the day!
  • Lesscookies
    Lesscookies Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    1500 calories is the absolute minimum for a guy. If you're using the app go on settings> profile , and ensure accurate information about yourself is in the system.

Secondly, click on goals, and double check the information that's listed as well. I can't imagine someone whose 6' something eating 1500.

Is 1500 the amount MyFitnessPal gave you after performing the actions listed??
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    1500 calories is the absolute minimum for a guy. If you're using the app go on settings> profile , and ensure accurate information about yourself is in the system.

Secondly, click on goals, and double check the information that's listed as well. I can't imagine someone whose 6' something eating 1500.

Is 1500 the amount MyFitnessPal gave you after performing the actions listed??

This, exactly was my question.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

Go to My Home > Settings > Diary settings and down near the bottom of the page you can set your diary private, public , friends only or locked with a key. Set it to public and we can see it.

Please don't feel that people are attacking you. people think that what you are doing is not in your best interest and can get a bit passionate about it, but no one is attacking.

Take the time to read through some of the getting started stickies in this forum. There is a ton of good information there.

But, in short, losing at the rate you are means you are losing more than fat. You think you are gaining muscle as they are more defined with less fat around them, but you can't lose at the rate you have been and not be losing muscle. You weren't that big to start with. And at ~230 and 6'1", I don't think 2 lbs per week is your best goal now. I'm 6" and ~225 and have scaled back to 1.5 lbs per week, thinking of dropping to 1 lb. I really want to retain my muscle as much as possible and slower weight loss will help this, as will my other activities. Remember, you needed a fair bit of muscle to carry the extra fat. It is easier to hold onto that muscle as the fat drops, then it is to lose both and try to get the muscle back after.

I'd suggest you put you stats into MFP, at 1.5 lb loss and see what it gives you. Eat at least that much and 1/2 your exercise calories, and see what your actual loss rate is for ~ 6 weeks.

As to how to get to 1500, have a beer now and then. Enjoy a Big Mac once a month. Don't be so focused on the weight loss that you stop doing things you like. Feel free to look at my diary if you like. Just know it was thanksgiving this last weekend and not my best 4 days (especially pub food Friday).

And thanks for your other suggestions. The only reason I say that I am actually gaining muscle is because I'm developing a muscle in my arm that I've for sure never had before, at least not to the extent that it's showing now. And my arms are indeed thicker and more pronounced than ever before. Even when they had more fat on them, they are actually bigger, if not the same size or slightly larger, than they were whenever I first started losing weight. And this has only started to develop in the past month of lifting weights.

What I think is the most likely suspect here is that since I'm not actually weighing every single thing I eat (Things like peanut butter, miracle whip, ketchup, condiments in general, I ALWAYS weigh those) is playing a slight factor into all of this and I'm actually eating closer to maybhe 1300, or 1400.

All of that being said, I appreciate everything that you guys have offered, and I look forward to future of my journey!

So since MFP gave you 1770 as a goal, why are you aiming for 1500 or 1400?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

So since MFP gave you 1770 as a goal, why are you aiming for 1500 or 1400?

Worse, only hitting 800-900 many days.