What is the most supportive thing someone has done for you on your journey?

Options

Replies

• Rebirth08
    Rebirth08 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Just telling me they see changes in my body.

Yes!!! A lot of times, just knowing that SOMEONE else other than ourselves can see the changes gives us some sort of validation.
  • Rebirth08
    Options
    Lol, these stories are the reason i justify my choice to kick my boyfriend to the curb after 6 months and focus on me again by returning here..

Instead of understanding the importance of me wanting to get my weight off, he was constantly critical of everything i did. If i wasn't hungry he made a huge issue out of it and wouldn't relent until i ate something. If i wanted to eat smaller portions, he lectured me about how my not eating as much as him was not good for me, he would get up and put more food on my plate, if i didn't want to eat what he put there, he would get frustrated and mad at me because i was making everything an issue. If we went out to eat, after i ate my meal, he would offer me more and if i said no, he would give me ultimatums about either eating it or doing something i hated. On my own choice if i was to eat something, he would decide if i could of made a better choice and lecture me about not making the right one. Other days he would just up and decide we were gonna eat better and exercise together, I would commit and make a calorie goal and he would just eat a half a tub of ice cream a day, keep offering it to me and when i would say no, i made a goal, im going to stick to it, he would say "you can still have this stuff, cause youre going to exercise" -- he was the type that believed that going to the gym was the reason why people were fit and not over weight, and he believed my weight would fall off me within a couple weeks. When he had too much to drink one night, his comment to me was that i broke my promise and got fat. So that was that. I left.

SO.. the best thing anyone ever did for me? Him staying away from me and allowing me to become a person again.

Wise lady you are. Sometimes, we have to be our own support before we can take good support from anyone else. No where else but up for you!
  • Rebirth08
    Options
    I know when it boils down to it, only we can male or break our journey. It is still nice though when someone else does something to show their support of our decisions.

Mine actually happened this morning. My boyfriend does not understand anything about calories or calorie counting. I've tried to explain it to him but his eyes just glaze over. He is lucky that he has the innate ability to only eat when he's hungry and not overeat.

Normally, I eat a bowl of cereal before I take him to work. This morning I woke up to him handing me a bowl of cereal in bed because he wanted to let me sleep in. It was sweet, so I figured I'd just write this one off because I couldn't log what he gave me.

On our way out the door he pointed out a piece of paper where he had the weights for the cereal and milk. When I asked him why he did that he just shrugged and said "well I see you weighing your food all the time and I don't understand it, but it seems important to you so I figured it didn't take that much work to do it for you."

It felt nice to know that he supports me even though he has no clue what I am doing. He knows it's important to me and that's enough reason for him to help out.

Oh y'all need to get married! Sounds like he's a keeper! :-)
  • Rebirth08
    Options
    My wife is allowing me to take time off work to focus strictly on my health and weightloss, she is supporting me throughout this whole journey and holding down the bills. Means so much to me and I won't let her or myself down. XO

Oh wow!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Such wonderful stories in this thread!

I think the most supportive thing to happen to me is my husband, a natural night owl, putting up with the alarm going off at 4:30 every morning when I get up to exercise. He's always woken up by it and always good humored about it. He falls right back to sleep, so I'm sure that helps.

Similar here. I'm up around 5. Wife would be in bed until 10 if she could. But I let the dogs out and then they come back in, jump on the bed and curl up with her. By 5:10 I can hear all 3 of them snoring.
  • katsheare
    katsheare Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Loving this! My partner and I sat down about a month ago and figured out how we could balance my workouts with our home life (he's a stay/work at home daddy, and doesn't get out much; I work outside the home, ring tower bells twice a week and Zumba once a week) so I wasn't taking advantage of his good nature and general support. He is also an owl who doesn't grumble at his 6am-rising lark. He is even (mostly) good-natured about my new earlier bedtime....
  • davidylin
    davidylin Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    The most supportive thing was my buddy no longer asking me to go to the Brazilian steakhouse every month. We only experience death-by-meat once a year now.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Well my whole family in their own way.

Hubby for not having a fit when I spend a good chunk of change (still within budget!) on new, smaller, sexier workout and casual clothes. He gets a nice fashion show though ;) He's turning our spare room into my home gym. He's okay with half our fridge being produce, and he's supporting my decision to start the loose skin removal consults. He also lets me vent my insecurities about my weight and body with a loving ear and shoulder. I patiently offer advice and guide him in his journey to health.

My 24 y/o daughter and I talk about the gym, Target and Trader Joe's runs, and clothes that fit better. She's around here somewhere, but won't give me her username. It was her who introduced me to MFP. Thank you, baby girl :)

My 13 y/o son jogs, shoots hoops, and throws footballs with me as part of his sports training. And likes shopping for new workout gear. We also talk and walk out our frustrations, instead of turning to tv or food.

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    It really is so nice to hear wonderful stories about such supportive spouses. You are so blessed! Where I do go to find guys like that? lol
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    My husband watched me weigh out some ice cream the other night! He did not shake his head or mock me for doing it, he simply said "you are so disciplined and you're doing everything to achieve your goal and its inspiring".

He has lost 70 pounds and on a mission to lose another 10. He has not logged one calorie during his weight loss and while my methods carry over to him (I help him with what to eat during the day, we eat the same at night and weekends, etc.. ) he just understands what I am doing and why I am doing it. 20 years together and I am equally proud of him as he is with me!

OP your story is truly awesome and you are super lucky. Love this!!! <3
  • Mom2ACJC
    Mom2ACJC Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My husband is very supportive of me. He tells me how proud he is of me and that I am doing great. When I conquer an extremely hard workout, his response "that's what I'm talking about!" He also likes to help me find new recipes.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    the most supportive things is my fiance loves me, regardless of my weight.

• aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    My BF is... well, he's REALLY fit, always was. We met at the gym, but then I fell off the wagon. He was the one that encouraged me to get back to it because he wanted to share more experiences with me without me hurting. It's been tough for him because he really does need to eat a lot more than I do, and I've been keeping calories dense foods out of my apartment. He invited me over for "bread pizza" tonight but just texted me a picture of salmon. Much easier on the calorie bank.

P.S. bread pizza is homemade bread with mushrooms, garlic, cheese, etc. on top. He makes killer bread but this is NOT something I can "afford" right now.

He's also been splitting meals with me when we go out. I know that he goes home and eats after, but it really helps me stay in check.
  • Spiderpug
    Spiderpug Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    That my family didn't laugh when l said I was going to start running and actually asked how it went!
  • double_dash88
    double_dash88 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Such wonderful stories in this thread!

I think the most supportive thing to happen to me is my husband, a natural night owl, putting up with the alarm going off at 4:30 every morning when I get up to exercise. He's always woken up by it and always good humored about it. He falls right back to sleep, so I'm sure that helps.

Similar here. I'm up around 5. Wife would be in bed until 10 if she could. But I let the dogs out and then they come back in, jump on the bed and curl up with her. By 5:10 I can hear all 3 of them snoring.

Tacklewasher - I just had to check your profile to make sure you weren't my husband - he could write the EXACT same post.

Great hearing everyone's stories!
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    My husband is super supportive, and I am supportive of him as well. Works best as a team!
    A couple things he has done for me is telling me that if hiring a trainer makes me happier and boosts my journey, then he'll pay for a trainer (he does not believe in them). He's also motivating on days I want to quit. Sometimes he gives me the tough guy "get to the gym" speech, which works great! It's nice to know that someone is cheering you on!