Doctor visits

Options

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    davidylin wrote: »
    It's a doctor's job to discuss any health problems or major health risks you are having. If they notice a funny mole, discoloration in your foot, or even if you have difficulty hearing them from certain angles, they're supposed to help you with it. I would fault a doctor for not bringing up an obvious health risk.

So I've been seeing the same doctor for five years. We've discussed my weight in the past. I go in because I'm concerned about a funny mole. Are you saying they should bring up my weight, again? Just in case I've forgotten I'm fat?

I feel like there's some subtleties missing from this conversation as a whole, and I'm honestly a bit surprised to see it on a forum dedicated to weight loss. I don't think I'm miss-remembering that there's evidence out there that obese individuals often receive sub-standard care in part because primary care physicians don't listen to them when they say what's wrong and instead jump to their weight, and also because some obese people avoid doctors entirely because they feel (rightly or wrongly) that their concerns won't be taken seriously.

Weve all been to a spot in life we werent ready, Weve also mostly (why were here) had an AHA moment where we realized we were ready. Aslong as your doctor was being caring not judgmental in reminding you, Id see it as a positive. Sort of like them saying im here for you when your ready, Remember that you cant just ignore this- And your not alone. Sort of deal. Just because some people find it a touchy topic, Doesnt make it right for a doctor to just ignore it. Its their job. Alot of people dont even realize just how many things being overweight effects.

Doctors arent trying to annoy you. just treat every health problem they see, Which is their job. Its expensive to see them, Im happy to go through as many possible issues as they/I see in one sit
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    It's a doctor's job to discuss any health problems or major health risks you are having. If they notice a funny mole, discoloration in your foot, or even if you have difficulty hearing them from certain angles, they're supposed to help you with it. I would fault a doctor for not bringing up an obvious health risk.

So I've been seeing the same doctor for five years. We've discussed my weight in the past. I go in because I'm concerned about a funny mole. Are you saying they should bring up my weight, again? Just in case I've forgotten I'm fat?

I feel like there's some subtleties missing from this conversation as a whole, and I'm honestly a bit surprised to see it on a forum dedicated to weight loss. I don't think I'm miss-remembering that there's evidence out there that obese individuals often receive sub-standard care in part because primary care physicians don't listen to them when they say what's wrong and instead jump to their weight, and also because some obese people avoid doctors entirely because they feel (rightly or wrongly) that their concerns won't be taken seriously.

I saw my doc for years due to limb pain, extreme tiredness, inability to form sentences and remember simple words, hair loss and a whole host of other symptoms.
    He would tell me I'm overweight, need to lose it, that my blood work was fine
    I tried 2 different meds prescribed by him, a medically prescribed shake only diet that made me so I'll, I joined the gym who banned me towards the end of said shake diet for my own safety, saw a dietitian and one week was accused of cheating on my diet as i lost nothing and the next accused of starving myself for losing 10.

I spent years saying no to gastric bypass and asking about my symptoms and each time being told I was just fat. I gave in and was referred to the surgeon

On reviewing more blood results and checking my medical test history he sent a letter to my go and me asking why on earth no one was treating my under active thyroid. That antibody tests showed I had hashimotos so weight loss would be of no use to my thyroid

My gp had known full well that my blood tests were showing ever increasing levels of TSH but all he wanted to talk about was how I could lose weight
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

If you haven't resolved your weight problem yes they should mention it again - to try to help you!

Maybe the Doctor might think a patient isn't taking the issue seriously and it needs reinforcing.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I'm really not saying that doctors should never bring up your weight, or even that it shouldn't be part of a regular discussion in the context of a doctor/patient relationship, but I am suggesting that maybe it's not necessary for every doctor to bring it up every time they see an overweight patient just in case that's what sparks a weight-loss epiphany. I mean, the OP is talking about having the flu. I got a flu shot last week from a clinic rather than my usual doctor - should the nurse have mentioned my weight? I fell in the rain and needed x-rays because I thought I'd broken something a few years ago (OMG that hurt). If the doctor had brought up my weight I would have lost my marbles.
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options

I saw my doc for years due to limb pain, extreme tiredness, inability to form sentences and remember simple words, hair loss and a whole host of other symptoms.
    He would tell me I'm overweight, need to lose it, that my blood work was fine
    I tried 2 different meds prescribed by him, a medically prescribed shake only diet that made me so I'll, I joined the gym who banned me towards the end of said shake diet for my own safety, saw a dietitian and one week was accused of cheating on my diet as i lost nothing and the next accused of starving myself for losing 10.

I spent years saying no to gastric bypass and asking about my symptoms and each time being told I was just fat. I gave in and was referred to the surgeon

On reviewing more blood results and checking my medical test history he sent a letter to my go and me asking why on earth no one was treating my under active thyroid. That antibody tests showed I had hashimotos so weight loss would be of no use to my thyroid

My gp had known full well that my blood tests were showing ever increasing levels of TSH but all he wanted to talk about was how I could lose weight

Well, that's just a bad doctor plain and simple. And the surgeon was a good doctor.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Your doctor had a duty of care to talk to about things/attributes/behaviours that will negatively affect your health.

• amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Does anyone’s doctor do the annoying alcohol assessment every year?
  • maryannprt
    maryannprt Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    amyepdx wrote: »

Yes. At least annually, she asks about my drinking/drug use, whether I'm in an abusive relationship, and asks a series of questions about depression. The answers haven't changed in the 20 years I've been going to this office, but I'm glad she asks, because what if they had?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options

I'm always asked about alcohol use, but I don't consider it annoying.
  • jasummers76
    jasummers76 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I agree a doctor you visit once maybe twice a year should address it. I see mine every three months for my A1C check up and the odd visit for a illness. I have lost 95 lbs or so since starting to see her mind you it has taken years to do so as I will often maintain after lossing to avoid my old pattern of dropping 40 in two months to gain back 60 in a few months. But she doesn't say to much of the progress perhaps because it has been spread over years. I still have plenty to lose so her telling me I need to lose weight when I came in for some antibiotics just is funny to me at this point. As if I am unaware of my pants size or the 2 x shirt..
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, we also live in a world where someone would turn around and sue their doctor because "I went to him 6 times in 18 months and not once did he mention I was overweight and now I have [insert issue here] as a result".

Sad but true as we tend to find anything or anyone else to blame for our problems but ourselves. :grimace:
  • orangegato
    Options
    I agree a doctor you visit once maybe twice a year should address it. I see mine every three months for my A1C check up and the odd visit for a illness. I have lost 95 lbs or so since starting to see her mind you it has taken years to do so as I will often maintain after lossing to avoid my old pattern of dropping 40 in two months to gain back 60 in a few months. But she doesn't say to much of the progress perhaps because it has been spread over years. I still have plenty to lose so her telling me I need to lose weight when I came in for some antibiotics just is funny to me at this point. As if I am unaware of my pants size or the 2 x shirt..

After this additional info, yes I agree w/ you it's a bit odd. You've nearly lost 100 lbs over time. Did you remind her of that fact?
  • jasummers76
    Options
    I do and then reminder her my A1C use to be in the 9.5 to 10 range and is now a healthy 6.3 last time or there about. I no longer use insulin daily still take Metformin though and a month or so back on my last blood work my cholesterol was a little high for my liking but have since learned being on MFP and lossing a bit more quickly it can release cholesterol into your system but will level out over time as your rate of lossing fat slows.
  • orangegato
    Options
    @jasummers76 you're *kitten* killing it. Keep it up. You're doing great. Sounds like this doc has a really short memory and doesn't remember her own patients too well.
  • jasummers76
    edited October 2017
    Options
    orangegato wrote: »
    @jasummers76 you're *kitten* killing it. Keep it up. You're doing great. Sounds like this doc has a really short memory and doesn't remember her own patients too well.

I really think you hit the nail on the head as far as remembering her patients. Whenever I get blood work done I always get a copy of the results for my own records and look them over. And thank you
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Every time I see my doctor, she asks if I've quit smoking cigarettes yet. She offers the same cessation techniques, reminds me of the health consequences and tells me to quit. I think she thinks that one day her advice will stick.

Same thing with being overweight/obese. One day, the advice will stick.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options

I don't think I've ever been asked this. I have filled out a form about depression ("yes, I am depressed") and they never ask about that either.