Diet soda

Options
Hi all! My aunt has been trying to lose her extra weight and has struggled in the last year specifically, (endured many health scares this year too). The one thing (that she constantly goes back to) is EXCESSIVE diet soda drinking. I'm positive this does not help the weight loss, but she gives it up and then always goes back, harder than ever. Any suggestions to help her kick the habit?!

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I cut down on soda by switching a lot of it to sparkling water with a squeeze of lemon or lime juice in it. Still very fizzy and refreshing. Depending on the drink, your aunt may also be craving the caffeine, and that can suck to wean off...
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    run2brazil wrote: »
    Hi all! My aunt has been trying to lose her extra weight and has struggled in the last year specifically, (endured many health scares this year too). The one thing (that she constantly goes back to) is EXCESSIVE diet soda drinking. I'm positive this does not help the weight loss, but she gives it up and then always goes back, harder than ever. Any suggestions to help her kick the habit?!

Does your aunt want to give up soda? If she wants to then there are tons of different drink options she could try out. But if she doesn't want it then there's likely very little you can do to make her. It will have to be her choice and her tastes and needs will affect the next steps.

If she does quit, just remember she'll need to step down the caffeine if she's drinking a lot.

And I second everything everyone has said about soda not stopping her weight loss or damaging her health. There are a lot of things I'd suggest focusing on first if you want to help her lose weight instead of managing what she drinks.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    She can buy a soda stream and make her own minus the artificial sweeteners.

There's a fizzy drink called La Croix (i think thats the name) that is aspartame free.