Replies

• megpie41
    megpie41 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    TR0berts wrote: »
    run2brazil wrote: »
    In conclusion, there are scientific studies going all directions about soda...

No, actually, there aren't. There are a lot of studies that are misreported. The misreporting states that diet soda is harmful - when the actual studies don't state that at all.

So you can say with 100% confidence, you’ve seen every study ever done on the use of “soda” and furthermore that every single one of those studies showed no negative consequences???? Serious question?

The responsibility to produce evidence lies on those making a claim not those skeptical of said claim. If my friend claims that there are unicorns it is their responsibility to provide evidence for their claim, not my responsibility to answer whether or not I've looked everywhere in the universe and can say with 100% confidence that their are no unicorns.

I personally have seen no studies that show harm in humans upon consumption of sodas. That doesn't mean I'm going to say 100% I've seen every study ever because that would be a ridiculous claim to make. That said I've seen reviews published on the current literature for artificial sweetners and can say with confidence that there is no evidence seen thusfar that they cause harm. I say that as a active scientist who knows how to look at the literature and who is part of a lab that actively carries out toxicology studies so I know what I am reading when I read it. So if you have seen such a study then please present the study.

What kind of scientist? It’s actually irrelevant to the discussion either way. I asked a simple question...

My current work involves testing compounds for efficacy but also for toxicity in various models including immortalized human cell lines and mice. Have a working knowledge of concepts related to ADME/PK

I'm asking this in complete seriousness...from what I've read in these forums, testing chemicals, compounds, drugs etc on mice is irrelevant because the dosage is much higher than in a human due to size ratio. I've posted studies where chemicals get tested on mice and I'm told it's irrelevant due to this very reason. Can you explain why it's relevant in some senerios (like your work), but not in others?
  • bbsweetpea
    bbsweetpea Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Cutting just diet soda is not going to make her healthier. Counting her calories that are going in and making sure she is moving daily will help make her healthier. I would buy a kitchen scale, show her how to use my fitness pal and if she does not have some sort of step counter have her get one. These three things will show her where she needs to work.

I am all for a clean diet but diet soda is not adding calories to her day. You could encourage her to drink a cup of water before her diet coke. Adding water may make her less thirsty for soda. I love diet coke but know for me it does lead to wanting sugary snacks. I do not drink diet coke until I reach my goal of water each day. Doing this helps me no longer want the soda.
  • FatWithFatness
    FatWithFatness Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    You should probably just mind your own business.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I didn't mean for this to be a debate- I thought this community forum was meant to be supportive of one another. It's my first time writing on it, and likely my last. Thank you to those who understood and offered tips for her.

You did get useful information - your aunt's problems aren't primarily related to her relationship with diet soda, they're related to her relationship with the food she's eating.

You might suggest she read the content on the Beck Diet Program site - it's a cognitive behavioral approach that will help her work on the behavioral skills needed to address the issue:

http://diet.beckinstitute.org

They have free resources on the site, daily tips, and several books available:

http://diet.beckinstitute.org/about-the-beck-diet-program/
  • FatWithFatness
    Options
    You should probably just mind your own business.

perhaps direction this comment to who its for might be helpful. or should everyone mind their own business?

The OP.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Hi all! My aunt has been trying to lose her extra weight and has struggled in the last year specifically, (endured many health scares this year too). The one thing (that she constantly goes back to) is EXCESSIVE diet soda drinking. I'm positive this does not help the weight loss, but she gives it up and then always goes back, harder than ever. Any suggestions to help her kick the habit?!

If reaching for a sip of the soda is replacing grabbing a not-0-calorie food item from the kitchen out of boredom/habit, then it's helping, not hurting. Caffeine is also an appetite suppressant - so once again, probably helping, not hurting, trying to lose weight.
  • FatWithFatness
    Options
    Ah.. well in all fairness, its perfectly fine to worry and care about the health of a family member, but she should be putting those efforts into what will work instead of being so focused on diet sodas which won't do anything for the situation.

People won't change no matter how much you want them to. Her aunt has to really want and do it for herself.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Maybe its that time of year... its october, its getting colder, people arent getting out as much, so people decide to lose weight in time for next summer and all the sudden the place has tons of diet soda posts and people with nothing better to do but write walls of posts with age old woo from the 80's and live in their ignorance is bliss world where they just take in all the misinformation they can because its what they want to believe.

Christmas party bodies innit. All the diet clubs start offering deals to help you drop a dress size in time for party season or whatever. I just buy Spanx. Not that i'm going to any parties but you get the idea.......
  • KirbySmith46
    KirbySmith46 Posts: 198 Member
    Options

No, actually, there aren't. There are a lot of studies that are misreported. The misreporting states that diet soda is harmful - when the actual studies don't state that at all.

So you can say with 100% confidence, you’ve seen every study ever done on the use of “soda” and furthermore that every single one of those studies showed no negative consequences???? Serious question?

The responsibility to produce evidence lies on those making a claim not those skeptical of said claim. If my friend claims that there are unicorns it is their responsibility to provide evidence for their claim, not my responsibility to answer whether or not I've looked everywhere in the universe and can say with 100% confidence that their are no unicorns.

I personally have seen no studies that show harm in humans upon consumption of sodas. That doesn't mean I'm going to say 100% I've seen every study ever because that would be a ridiculous claim to make. That said I've seen reviews published on the current literature for artificial sweetners and can say with confidence that there is no evidence seen thusfar that they cause harm. I say that as a active scientist who knows how to look at the literature and who is part of a lab that actively carries out toxicology studies so I know what I am reading when I read it. So if you have seen such a study then please present the study.

What kind of scientist? It’s actually irrelevant to the discussion either way. I asked a simple question...

I agree that ones title or education should not be ones argument, hopefully it didn't come across that way I was just trying to emphasis that I do know how to read a scientific paper with my background. My Ph.D is in molecular biology, my graduate work was in protein biochemistry and I am currently working in drug discovery as a microbiologist. My current work involves testing compounds for efficacy but also for toxicity in various models including immortalized human cell lines and mice. Have a working knowledge of concepts related to ADME/PK

Ok thanks for providing that. I just see people throw around claims on here all the time and it’s nice to see proof. Not talking about you by the way. Just some others who are saying definitively one way or the other that something’s a certain way.

Fair enough. It can be difficult as a scientist to speak about matters like this in public for the very reason that you stated that people in colloquial language tend to state things as being definitive as a way of getting their opinion or view across. I will say unequivocally that I don't think currently there is any evidence to support the notion that diet sodas cause cancer or any actual harm to health (nor do I think there is any evidence that they improve health other than being a substitute for a high caloric beverage). I won't say "X" is 100% safe no matter what "X" is because it is literally impossible to demonstrate 100% safety for anything. As a result I can come across as using "weak" language when really I'm about as confident in what I am saying as one can be.

Awesome. Appreciate you taking the time to explain.
  • KirbySmith46
    KirbySmith46 Posts: 198 Member
    Options

Every single one? No. Off the top of my head, I'd say probably somewhere about 20 or so. And the handful that I've seen used as "evidence" of harm? Either state the opposite (that artificial sweeteners are safe for human consumption) or make no statement in either way, although the data suggests that they are not harmful.

Now, my turn for a serious question: why are you so hell-bent on white-knighting this?

Oh I’m not. When I see people make definitive statements, it naturally makes me want to question the truth behind it.