Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

It's All Sugar's Fault

Options

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    It's just physics. The laws of physics don't change with the generations.

In terms of basic fatness, it's simply CICO: today's average person is simply taking in more calories and burning off fewer calories than his/her ancestors. Therefore, the average person is fatter.

When it comes to good health and well-being, though, it's more complicated than that. More nutritious fuel (and less crap) in your system is ideal.
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I got too fat because I ate too much. I ate a lot of sugar, but most of the foods I ate that were high in sugar were also high in fat. I also ate a *lot* of pasta and bread, foods that don't have any (or much) added sugar at all.

My dad was obese from childhood as well, he didn't eat that much sugar. Especially not in the 40s and 50s, they were quite poor growing up, and sodas and candy were treats. He just ate too much food.

It's rarely, if ever, strictly sugar's fault.
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    To anyone who is curious, most the graphs that were posted from National Health and Examination Survey (NHANES) which from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). It's a survey that is sent out and collected every ten years. (https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes/about_nhanes.htm)

Yes, the data is self reported. Yes, people likely underreport. That is what is so frightening. The self reported data shows an increase in how much food people are eating. Since we know people frequently under report, how much are we really eating?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    I think it might be a bit short sighted to look at sugar as a lone culprit in obesity.

I'd suggest it might be more closely related to a combination of the increased consumption of refined carbohydrates (cereals, grains, processed foods), excessive industrial oils (industrial fats used in processed foods), in combination with a more sedentary lifestyle in general.

Eating whole foods (grown in the earth, or from something that eats those things) and getting some fresh air and exercise, seems like reasonable and non-hysterical advice for feeling well and managing one's body composition.

I can eat my way to obesity on cheese from grass-fed cows. It wouldn't even be hard. It doesn't matter where the calories come from; if you eat too many of them, you'll get fat.

I believe that you might be over-simplifying the effects of different kinds of 'food' on the human body, as calories are just one attribute of food. Even if you could eat to obesity on cheese (I recommend you don't try :-) ), it doesn't address the initial question as sugar as a single culprit in obesity; cheese (grass-fed or not) isn't the equivalent of sugar in the metabolic effects on the typical 'Western' human.

Exactly what metabolic effects are you talking about?

Mysterious ones.