Diet Sodas?

Options

Replies

• Lisa8823168
    Lisa8823168 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Who is old enough to remember of actually drank TAB??? The introduction of modern diet drinks was a God send!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Are people deliberately reposting arguments that have already been covered in this thread several times? I know there are 3 diet soda threads on the board and I can't keep which arguments have been made where straight anymore, but I'm pretty sure the sodium has been covered in all three of them by now?

If she avoids diet soda because she believes she is getting a significant amount of sodium from it I'm not sure that is really worth arguing about. I mean sure, soda doesn't actually have that much sodium in it and if you drink one glass of milk you've had more sodium than like 15 glasses of a diet soda like Coke Zero or 30 glasses of regular soda like Coke but really whatever.

I harp on the aspartame thing because I think it is irresponsible to tell people that something is "deadly" or "dangerous" when it is not, but when someone says they don't drink soda because they want to avoid sodium I kind of just shrug at that. I might point out once that soda doesn't actually have that much sodium in it but I don't really harp on it. I guess it bothers me if people act like Sodium is dangerous and somethign to be avoided but not as much because they aren't claiming it causes the cancerz or the autisms or w/e the aspartame claim de jour is.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    Who is old enough to remember of actually drank TAB??? The introduction of modern diet drinks was a God send!

Whenever I wax nostaglic, I always reach for a TAB.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Bad bad bad

I won't even touch a soda. I think the last time I had a soda was about 6 years ago.Diet soda and regular soda are both bad for you. Diet soda is just full of artificial sugar which is man-made and just chemicals and regular soda is just tons of high fructose corn syrup.Anyhoo,either way it's bad I won't drink it I only drink water I drink about a gallon and a half of water a day and unsweetened coffee and unsweetened tea.

Hope you know that coffee and tea are full of chemicals too.

IN fact... So is your water.

IF you look it up, water is just one molecule from being rocket fuel or bleach.

I've seen you say that a couple of times now so just a heads up if you are going to use that point I think you mean "atom" not "molecule" because saying a molecule is just "one molecule" from another molecule doesn't actually make sense.

But then again if you are saying water is just one atom from being rocket fuel or bleach well...that isn't true. So no offense but not sure where you got that from. I know you are using this as an analogy and not an actual concern but still thought I should point that out.

Water is dihydrogen monoxide, H20. Bleach is sodium hypochlorate, NaClO which is not just one atom different and even if it was when you only have 3 atoms, one atom is kind of significant. Rocket fuel varies but I guess the closest would be the mixing of liquid oxygen O2 and liquid methane CH4 but I mean those are two different molecules and one is just providing the oxygen to burn the other so yeah.

Anyways I'd kind of question the accuracy of what you are saying. Not sure if you made that up or read it somewhere but, yeah.

If you want to say X is one atom away from water then you could say that for hydrogen peroxide. Water is H20. Hydrogen peroxide (sound it out and you can probably guess the structure) is H2O2.

Hydrogen peroxide is both rocket fuel and bleach. So yes that's where I was going.
  • Aaron_K123
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Bad bad bad

I won't even touch a soda. I think the last time I had a soda was about 6 years ago.Diet soda and regular soda are both bad for you. Diet soda is just full of artificial sugar which is man-made and just chemicals and regular soda is just tons of high fructose corn syrup.Anyhoo,either way it's bad I won't drink it I only drink water I drink about a gallon and a half of water a day and unsweetened coffee and unsweetened tea.

I've seen you say that a couple of times now so just a heads up if you are going to use that point I think you mean "atom" not "molecule" because saying a molecule is just "one molecule" from another molecule doesn't actually make sense.

But then again if you are saying water is just one atom from being rocket fuel or bleach well...that isn't true. So no offense but not sure where you got that from. I know you are using this as an analogy and not an actual concern but still thought I should point that out.

Water is dihydrogen monoxide, H20. Bleach is sodium hypochlorate, NaClO which is not just one atom different and even if it was when you only have 3 atoms, one atom is kind of significant. Rocket fuel varies but I guess the closest would be the mixing of liquid oxygen O2 and liquid methane CH4 but I mean those are two different molecules and one is just providing the oxygen to burn the other so yeah.

Anyways I'd kind of question the accuracy of what you are saying. Not sure if you made that up or read it somewhere but, yeah.

If you want to say X is one atom away from water then you could say that for hydrogen peroxide. Water is H20. Hydrogen peroxide (sound it out and you can probably guess the structure) is H2O2.

Hydrogen peroxide is both rocket fuel and bleach. So yes that's where I was going.

Hydrogen peroxide is not bleach. Sodium hypochlorite is bleach. As for it being used to propel some rockets throughout history then okay but I don't think its what people think of when they think of rocket fuel.

Edit: Okay hydrogen peroxide is apparently classed as a "bleaching agent" but that doesn't make it what everyone would think of when they think of bleach. No one calls hydrogen peroxide "Bleach". I'm just saying you could phrase this in a way that is much more accurate. Not trying to insult you, just saying stating "water is just one atom away from hydrogen peroxide" would be a much more accurate statement and people would still understand it because they would know both water and hydrogen peroxide as they are common chemicals.
  • stanmann571
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Bad bad bad

Hydrogen peroxide is not bleach. Sodium hypochlorite is bleach. As for it being used to propel some rockets throughout history then okay but I don't think its what people think of when they think of rocket fuel.

Edit: Okay hydrogen peroxide is apparently classed as a "bleaching agent" but that doesn't make it what everyone would think of when they think of bleach. I'm just saying you could phrase this in a way that is much more accurate.

15 thousand beauticians would disagree with you.
    As would a corresponding number of rocket scientists
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options

Whenever I wax nostaglic, I always reach for a TAB.

Does anyone remember the TAB energy drink? In the early days of Red Bull and Monster? Man, TAB's was the BEST but apparently, I'm the only one who thought so. It was short-lived.
  • Lisa8823168
    Options
    "If she avoids diet soda because she believes she is getting a significant amount of sodium from it"

I am glad you don't harp on it since I don't think I used the word "significant". I simply said it is a concern for me. Keeping what I said in context is helpful.

Diet Coke is roughly 70g, depending on which one of the MFP options you use in your food tracking process. If I drink x10, that's 700... I did mention I did drink ALOT. The term ALOT is subjective...that may mean only 2 for you or 20 to someone else. I limit myself because ALOT can add up...and some of us tend to have more issues with fluid retention than others.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    @Aaron_K123, you make chemistry sexy. Where were you during Organic Chem 101?
  • olive1968
    olive1968 Posts: 148 Member
    Options

Tab? I can't give you a tab unless you order something!
  • Aaron_K123
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Bad bad bad

Edit: Okay hydrogen peroxide is apparently classed as a "bleaching agent" but that doesn't make it what everyone would think of when they think of bleach. I'm just saying you could phrase this in a way that is much more accurate.

15 thousand beauticians would disagree with you.
    As would a corresponding number of rocket scientists

Just a suggestion man, can take it or leave it.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    Bad bad bad

Edit: Okay hydrogen peroxide is apparently classed as a "bleaching agent" but that doesn't make it what everyone would think of when they think of bleach. No one calls hydrogen peroxide "Bleach". I'm just saying you could phrase this in a way that is much more accurate. Not trying to insult you, just saying stating "water is just one atom away from hydrogen peroxide" would be a much more accurate statement and people would still understand it because they would know both water and hydrogen peroxide as they are common chemicals.

Hydrogen peroxide is actually NOT a common chemical.

What most people think of as hydrogen peroxide is actually a 3-5% dilution of hydrogen peroxide. in concentrations above 30% it's controlled internationally as a weapon.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    @Aaron_K123, you make chemistry sexy. Where were you during Organic Chem 101?

Teaching it. Poorly.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    @stanmann571 @Aaron_K123

I'm old enough to remember ladies being referred to disparagingly as "peroxide blondes" (a.k.a. bleach blondes or bottle blondes).
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options
    Bad bad bad

I am less concerned about your avoidance of soda and much more concerned about if you actually drink 1.5 gallons of water per day in addition to drinking other sources of water such as unsweetened coffee or tea. Did no one else notice that? That would be 24 cups of water in a day plus on top of that how ever many cups of coffee and tea you have (which is also water). That is way way to much. Have you consulted with your doctor about doing that? Have you had your blood pressure or sodium levels checked recently since you started doing that? That is going to just tank your blood pressure and probably cause you dizziness. Are you taking in a ridiculous amount of sodium that would warrant drinking that much water?

It is recommended that you drink about half a gallon of water (total water included in other beverages) per day. Not sure what made you think more than 3 times that amount would be better. You must have to pee like constantly.

I have gotten emails from a guy in the fitness industry (I get on a mailing list years ago and get spammed by random fitness 'pros' a lot) who recommended drinking between 1 and 2 gallons of water per day... in adittion to any other liquids consumed. His email address was instantly added to the blocked sender's list.
  • Lisa8823168
    Options
    "TaB? I can't give you a tab unless you order something!"

LOL...May need to be of a "mature" age to appreciate this never the less have had it a part of your pallet- Tab (TaB) was introduced by Coca-Cola in 1963. The soda was popular throughout the 1960s and 1970s, and several variations were made, including Tab Clear as well as caffeine-free versions.

Studies in the early 1970s linking saccharin with bladder cancer in rats caused the United States Congress to mandated warning labels on products containing saccharin with cancer in humans. It was later disproved and rescinded but not before significant damage to its market share.