How to go on a low carb high protein diet?

Options
Hi I want to know how to start a low carb high protein diet but don't know where to start.

Can anyone recommend foods to eat , how to cut carbs without starving and getting dizziness?

Thanks!

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Low carb and high protein do not necessarily go together. Are you wanting to do keto? Or just a moderate carb but keep protein high?

Wondering the reasons behind needing to go HIGH protein.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Jay9201 wrote: »
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Low carb and high protein do not necessarily go together. Are you wanting to do keto? Or just a moderate carb but keep protein high?

I've been recommended to do high protein moderate fats and low carbs. I'm losing weight from arms and legs but my belly fat isn't going at all. So I thought if I lower my carbs moderate fats and high protein that may help but I don't know how to.

Doctor recommended? If not, someone gave you some advice that is not necessary.

You just need to stay the course with being in a calorie deficit to lose fat.

Do you do any resistance/strength training?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

I've been recommended to do high protein moderate fats and low carbs. I'm losing weight from arms and legs but my belly fat isn't going at all. So I thought if I lower my carbs moderate fats and high protein that may help but I don't know how to.

Low carb has nothing to do with belly fat. Continue eating in a calorie deficit and it will come off.

Most people who go low carb, IIRC, go high fat rather than protein.
  • Jay9201
    Jay9201 Posts: 119 Member
    Options

Doctor recommended? If not, someone gave you some advice that is not necessary.

You just need to stay the course with being in a calorie deficit to lose fat.

Do you do any resistance/strength training?

Yes I do strength training twice a week and cardio twice a week
  • Jay9201
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

Low carb has nothing to do with belly fat. Continue eating in a calorie deficit and it will come off.

Isn't high fat increasing the risk of cholesterol?
  • LORI35pittsburgh
    LORI35pittsburgh Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    are you going to have bariatric surgery?
  • Jay9201
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

For most people, it will improve metabolic markers. Cholesterol in foods do not/rarely inversely effect individuals. In fact, MUFA/PUFA have been shown to decrease LDL and increase HDL cholesterol, while decreasing triglycerides.

Also, you do not want to go low carb high protein.. Carbs or fats are the best sources of energy. High protein diets are terrible for energy, so it could effect your energy levels. So if you go low carb, which is a viable option, you would want high fat, moderate protein (~ .6 to 1g per lb).

Realistically, genetics drives fat distribution. So you just need to give it to time get a flat stomach. No particular diet will help that.

That makes sense. So what is the correct way of doing doing low carb high fat and moderate protein diet? What kind of foods would you eat to ensure you're not starving all the time?

• MinuitMinuet
    MinuitMinuet Posts: 156 Member
    Options

For most people, it will improve metabolic markers. Cholesterol in foods do not/rarely inversely effect individuals. In fact, MUFA/PUFA have been shown to decrease LDL and increase HDL cholesterol, while decreasing triglycerides.

Also, you do not want to go low carb high protein.. Carbs or fats are the best sources of energy. High protein diets are terrible for energy, so it could effect your energy levels. So if you go low carb, which is a viable option, you would want high fat, moderate protein (~ .6 to 1g per lb).

Realistically, genetics drives fat distribution. So you just need to give it to time get a flat stomach. No particular diet will help that.

That makes sense. So what is the correct way of doing doing low carb high fat and moderate protein diet? What kind of foods would you eat to ensure you're not starving all the time?

Protein actually keeps you fuller longer. If it's just low carb and not keto, just cut out pasta, breads, pastries, and other processed foods. Get your carbs from potatoes and rice. If it's stricter than even that, eat cruciferous veggies and a meat. Bacon and eggs with avacado. Fry chicken using pork rinds as the breaking and not flour. Steak and cauliflower mash potatoes and brown gravy.

Really though.. who told you you had to cut carbs? Getting rid of fat is cutting calories, not carbs. Low carb is best for those who otherwise can't control their appetite.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

A low carb diet will do nothing to rid you of belly fat. That's not how it works. How and where you lose fat is determined by your genetics, you can't target any particular part of the body by altering the macronutrient ratios of your food. For many men, the abdomen/belly is the last place you'll lose weight from.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

Most people do high fat low carb BECAUSE it keeps them from starving all the time. They are naturally satiated by fat. If that's not you, it's probably not the right plan for you.

I could never do low carb because carbs help me feel full. You should choose a way of eating that makes it as easy as possible to eat at the right calorie level, and that's different for each person.

Try joining the low carb group here, you can find out what they eat every day and get a better idea if it would agree with you.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

Like others alluded to, does fat satiate you? Are you a volume eater or prefer smaller meals? If the answer is yes to both of those, the main thing would be t replace starchy carbs with lower GI/GL carbs (leafy greens, berries, etc..), aim for higher fat meats (full fat dairy, butters, fatty cuts of meats), add in nuts (macadamia, almonds, cashews, etc..) and oily fish (salmon). Also, increase salt intake. As you reduce insulin and glycogen levels deplete a bit, you lose water and electrolytes (this is very critical for ketogenic diets).
  • Jay9201
    Options
    I've done low carb the wrong way before I was always starving. I love carbs I could eat carbs all day long. But I also struggle with it. I don't understand how to eat healthy and lose weight consistently.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I've done low carb the wrong way before I was always starving. I love carbs I could eat carbs all day long. But I also struggle with it. I don't understand how to eat healthy and lose weight consistently.

So give low carb, high fat, moderate protein a try for a bit. Replace your carbs with fatty sources. Don't have an aggressive deficit (large deficits effect compliance in many), and occasionally, incorporate carb refeeds (eat at maintenance, decrease fats, and eat higher carb). If you lift, you can focus some of your carbs around it.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

You might be trying to do too much at once.

Eating "healthy", while a goal we should all strive for, isn't necessary to achieve weight loss. Most health markers improve simply with a reduction in weight.

You can take baby steps towards making dietary changes while you address your problems with over-consumption rather than trying to make sweeping changes. This kind of approach is much more likely to be sustainable.

The first and most important thing for you to get a handle of is your calorie consumption.

Start logging your current diet the way you eat now. Don't worry about weight loss yet. Then look at places where you're eating extra calories in foods that are tasty, but you can cut back on a bit. Ten cookies? Try three. 2 tablespoons of oil? Try a couple of teaspoons. 1/4 cup salad dressing? Try a tablespoon. Switch to leaner cuts of meat. Add more vegetables. Leave in the potato at dinner, but maybe cut the dinner roll.

Keep making small changes like this with an eye towards eventually having a diet rich in lean proteins, vegetables, fruit, whole grains, legumes, tubers, low-fat dairy, and some treats in proper proportions fitting your calorie goals.

• Jay9201
    Options

You might be trying to do too much at once.

Eating "healthy", while a goal we should all strive for, isn't necessary to achieve weight loss. Most health markers improve simply with a reduction in weight.

You can take baby steps towards making dietary changes while you address your problems with over-consumption rather than trying to make sweeping changes. This kind of approach is much more likely to be sustainable.

The first and most important thing for you to get a handle of is your calorie consumption.

Start logging your current diet the way you eat now. Don't worry about weight loss yet. Then look at places where you're eating extra calories in foods that are tasty, but you can cut back on a bit. Ten cookies? Try three. 2 tablespoons of oil? Try a couple of teaspoons. 1/4 cup salad dressing? Try a tablespoon. Switch to leaner cuts of meat. Add more vegetables. Leave in the potato at dinner, but maybe cut the dinner roll.

Keep making small changes like this with an eye towards eventually having a diet rich in lean proteins, vegetables, fruit, whole grains, legumes, tubers, low-fat dairy, and some treats in proper proportions fitting your calorie goals.

My dietitian said I eat healthy and I should take t easy but I can't see any non scale victories nor on the scale so I thought look at my nutrition again.

I'll try low carb high fat moderate protein and see if that helps. :)

• lady_bug_jd
    lady_bug_jd Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Please visit the low carb section for lots of helpful advise to get you started http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group.

You'll need to figure out the macro percentages/grams you want to eat for carbs, fat and protein so you know how much you are aiming for each day. I do 5% net carbs (carbs minus fibre), 15% protein and 80% fat. I try not to go over my net carbs each day and hit my protein goal. I don't worry about hitting the fat goal.

As others have said a low carb or keto diet will not help you lose from any specific area and you still need to watch your calories. At the end of the day a deficit of calories is what makes you lose weight. People do keto diets because it helps them feel full within their calorie limit and takes away cravings. Its not for everyone.