Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

It's All Sugar's Fault

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    smantha32 wrote: »
    I think there are several factors... sugar yes, but mostly because there's a lot more of it in things now because when they pulled all the fat out of foods in the 80's they replaced it all with sugar.
    Also though because people are relying more on chemical laden processed food instead of cooking at home the way we used to, also portion sizes have tripled.
    And people used to get more exercise.

See my post above, can you provide some examples of foods which you feel are high in sugar as a result of the low fat focus in prior decades? While I think this was a situation with some foods (Snackwells comes to mind), I don't think this is actually prevalent in foods today - would be interested in some examples where you feel sugar content is high relative to the content of other ingredients.

Also interested what "chemical laden processed foods" you think are contributing to the obesity epidemic and what specific chemicals you find concerning? As I mentioned above, I eat a decent amount of processed/convenience foods including frozen meals, skillet dinners, etc that I use as part of my busy lifestyle. It hasn't prevented me from losing weight, in fact, I find frozen meals and a skillet dinner with the addition of extra protein and some frozen vegetables to be an easy way to control calories.

Portion sizes - perhaps. If a person is monitoring their intake, this is fairly easy to control when preparing food for oneself. Even when eating out - it's not necessary to "super size" fast food meals, at a sit down restaurant a person can take leftovers home for another meal. It still comes down to personal accountability.

I agree that we are more sedentary than we used to be. I also agree with others that suggest this is one of the biggest contributing factors to the obesity epidemic.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    EllenSBry wrote: »
    The test for this is easy. Try cutting your carb and sugar intake and see what happens. I know what it's done for me.

I upped my carb intake for weight loss by going high fiber.

Yeah, fiber isn't actually used by your body and doesn't really count as a carb, it just fills you up and then leaves your body. You feel full longer so you eat less. Without realizing it, you were lowering your net carb intake.

I don't know what you mean by "doesn't count as a carb". Fibers are carbohydrates whether you count them or not.

But no, my net carb intake stayed about the same. I've never been one to eat a lot of sweets because I like to use my "pleasure calories" for wine or beer. My total carbs increased and I lowered my fat intake. Fat is the thing I find easiest to overeat.
  • cbohling1987
    cbohling1987 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    A better test is to live like they did before the 50s. Walk to work, walk home, walk to the grocery a few times a week because you have no refrigeration.

This. I think people underestimate the impact of the rebuilding of American cities (and American culture) around the idea that you're going to drive everywhere.

I said I was going to walk to the store the other day and my wife looked at me like I had two heads because I needed to buy milk and cat food. And I was like, yes, I AM going to walk there and then walk back carrying 30 pounds in each hand.

Luckily I live in an older part of town where walking to the store is even possible. In the suburban sprawl parts of town, "walking down to the corner store for some milk" is much harder because there are no corner stores - just a supermarket that's 4 miles away, so walking there and back will take you 2 hours.

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    EllenSBry wrote: »
    The test for this is easy. Try cutting your carb and sugar intake and see what happens. I know what it's done for me.

I upped my carb intake for weight loss by going high fiber.

Yeah, fiber isn't actually used by your body and doesn't really count as a carb, it just fills you up and then leaves your body. You feel full longer so you eat less. Without realizing it, you were lowering your net carb intake.

I eat foods with a lot of fiber. They still have plenty of other carbohydrates. It's not all fiber.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    hale03071 wrote: »
    People are eating more processed, boxed, packaged foods, not to mention eating out more than ever. Yes, sugar and grains are super calorie dense in comparison to the nutrition they provide. Cut out sugar and grains and I wonder how hard it would be to stick to staying under your deficit (or maintenance if you are at that stage)....I know I have a really hard time eating even 1300 calories a day since I stopped eating sugar and grains.

I do not think most anyone can gain weight if one truly cuts out sugar and grains. With them I was able to be obese because of the carb cravings that I had. Now without sugar or any form of any grain I eat until I am stuffed and after three years still am losing about 1/2 pound per month on average with out counting anything calorie wise. Just last night I ate at McDonald's and for the heck of it counted up the calories in my double hamburger, salad and coffee and it came to 435 calories so I had another cup of coffee to bump the meal up to 535 calories since it was free.

Don't be so naive. I know people who are Ketogenic who have gotten fat.

I expect those people were pulling your leg. I tried really hard but had to force myself to over eat to break out to the upside. While eating less than 50 grams of carbs fixed my eating disorder I give you the possibility that it might not fix everyone. No one I expect can eat enough to become obese without some kind of health issue and or they set obesity as their health goal for some sport, etc.

Lol....Wut? People are sedentary as hell...it's super easy to overeat without some healthy issue.

You consistently make these claims that everyone must have some kind of underlying issue or eating disorder which led them to be obese...I'd say those people are actually in the minority and that most people are just eating normally and aren't even giving a second thought to their food. Portions are large and it's pretty stinkin' easy to eat a lot of calories without even trying.

I was lean my entire life and a competitive athlete from 2nd grade all the way through high school...then the military and then college where I didn't own a car and biked and walked everywhere and worked in retail and landscape construction. I gained my weight to the point of just being obese when I took a desk job working 12 hour days and 6-8 hour days on Saturdays and traveling for work 25 weeks out of the year. I went from being a very active person to sitting at a desk all day...I had no disorder or health issue or any other kind of underlying thing that led to me getting fat. I got fat because I stopped moving...it took about 10 years.

People do not get fat because they stop moving as I see it but because for some reason our fuel gauge breaks and we over eat our requirements. My binge carb eating disorder was resolved within the matter of a few weeks so I automatically started recovering health wise and no meds, doctors, etc were required as well as no counting and measuring.

Healthy animals eating the right macro do not typically become obese in nature. There is no medical evidence that I have seen where healthy people become unhealthy without there being some underlying cause. It may be due to the way we think, eat and or move but there is always a cause to becoming obese. Finding and understanding the cause is the $64K question however.

Animals don't tend to become obese in nature because they don't have unlimited access to food and actually have to hunt for it. Humans, especially developed nations, have persistent access to food and have become increasing sedentary. Every major medical organization recognizes that, which is why they recommend limiting food and increasing activity.

Plenty of obese chipmunks on popular trails where hordes of visitors drop unlimited amounts of granola though.

It's not that other chipmunks in wilder places don't want to get fat like their cousins, they just don't have enough food and have to work too hard to get it.