Diet soda

Options

Replies

• rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    What is with all the soda posts lately?! Did Oz/Oprah do a segment on it or something?

No I'm not normally on the community much so I'm sorry if I seemed repetitive to the others. I was just at the store today and I bought a case of diet soda instead of a normal one and was curious.
    JustRobby1 wrote: »
    Here we go again. I have to ask what's next? Is drinking water going to make me fat and then kill me unless it's certified organic and comes from Whole Foods?
    No it was honestly just a question due to the chemicals and such in it.

aspartame is a methylated dipeptide. It is digested into two amino acids and methanol in your stomach and no aspartame actually enters your blood (only the breakdown products I mentioned). It is a chemical in the same way that water is a chemical. There is not anything magical about it. You would get the exact same ingredient from taking a bite of chicken and a swig of orange juice and is therefore about as dangerous as chicken and orange juice are.

Thank you, just curious because there's so many different 'facts' on it. One saying it's so bad and the other saying it's fine.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    What is with all the soda posts lately?! Did Oz/Oprah do a segment on it or something?

No I'm not normally on the community much so I'm sorry if I seemed repetitive to the others. I was just at the store today and I bought a case of diet soda instead of a normal one and was curious.
    JustRobby1 wrote: »
    Here we go again. I have to ask what's next? Is drinking water going to make me fat and then kill me unless it's certified organic and comes from Whole Foods?
    No it was honestly just a question due to the chemicals and such in it.

aspartame is a methylated dipeptide. It is digested into two amino acids and methanol in your stomach and no aspartame actually enters your blood (only the breakdown products I mentioned). It is a chemical in the same way that water is a chemical. There is not anything magical about it. You would get the exact same ingredient from taking a bite of chicken and a swig of orange juice and is therefore about as dangerous as chicken and orange juice are.

Thank you, just curious because there's so many different 'facts' on it. One saying it's so bad and the other saying it's fine.

I'm far from an expert but what I can tell you is that I have never met a person who was killed by diet coke.
    lol I'd hope not! Just looking for ways I can get my sugar kick/soda craving filled without gaining all the weight back that I've lost!
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    If a person don't like regular water. Can they substitute with diet soda. Since it's not bad for you at all it should be as good as water?
    I don't like water so I drink crystal light. But what about diet coke instead of water?

Sure. Diet soda is basically carbonated water with a little flavoring.

Ok...Im not planning to do this. I don't think carbonation is good for my teeth. But I heard some time ago the caffeine and it will dehydrate me.

No, the caffeine thing is a myth. Caffeine is a very mild diuretic, you won't get dehydrated from drinking liquids containing caffeine.

What about coffee?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    If a person don't like regular water. Can they substitute with diet soda. Since it's not bad for you at all it should be as good as water?
    I don't like water so I drink crystal light. But what about diet coke instead of water?

Ok...Im not planning to do this. I don't think carbonation is good for my teeth. But I heard some time ago the caffeine and it will dehydrate me.

No, the caffeine thing is a myth. Caffeine is a very mild diuretic, you won't get dehydrated from drinking liquids containing caffeine.

What about coffee?

Same again, unless you're drinking back to back espresso
  • Kst76
    Options

What about coffee?

Same again, unless you're drinking back to back espresso

I drink 2-3 cups of black, strong coffee a day ;):wink:
    It's a Swedish thing
  • Kst76
    Options

What about coffee?

It's the same. Coffee is basically water with flavoring, same as soda. You can count whatever fluids you're drinking toward whatever your liquid goals are (except alcohol, sadly).

omg..that is great news. Thank you. Yeah...it sucks about the alcohol. I wish there were diet wine with no loss of alcohol just 0 calories!
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options

What about coffee?

It's the same. Coffee is basically water with flavoring, same as soda. You can count whatever fluids you're drinking toward whatever your liquid goals are (except alcohol, sadly).

omg..that is great news. Thank you. Yeah...it sucks about the alcohol. I wish there were diet wine with no loss of alcohol just 0 calories!

Me too - 0 calorie wine would be awesome!
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    @Aaron_K123 Your broccoli comment made me chuckle! But saying that none of what I said was actually true is not actually true.

You very well might be able to find a study out of the 10s of thousands of studies that was done in an animal model where the sample size was small and they had some finding of an insulin response or tumor growth or toxicity or whatever that was just on the edge of significant and really in the noise of the experiment given the sample so yes I suppose that is true. What I guess I meant is the point you were making was false because the suggestion was that those studies are particularly meaningful in comparison to the many large scale human trials that show no such issues. It is misleading to highlight those studies and ignore the ones that are much more relevant and have sample sizes where significance would be clear if found. When people do that I kind of feel they must just want it to be true that artificial sweetners are bad and I don't really understand that.

Here is the most current review of the scientific literature on the safety of sucralose in humans if you want to know. It is a metaanalysis

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28558975

The full text is available here. It covers over a hundred different studies done in humans in addition to other animal models. I haven't even read this myself but I know the literature and am confident that what it will show you is that all studies in humans have shown no indications of any issues with sucrolose.

I was posting above before I read this ^^. Thanks for the link.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    @Aaron_K123 Your broccoli comment made me chuckle! But saying that none of what I said was actually true is not actually true.

You very well might be able to find a study out of the 10s of thousands of studies that was done in an animal model where the sample size was small and they had some finding of an insulin response or tumor growth or toxicity or whatever that was just on the edge of significant and really in the noise of the experiment given the sample so yes I suppose that is true. What I guess I meant is the point you were making was false because the suggestion was that those studies are particularly meaningful in comparison to the many large scale human trials that show no such issues. It is misleading to highlight those studies and ignore the ones that are much more relevant and have sample sizes where significance would be clear if found. When people do that I kind of feel they must just want it to be true that artificial sweetners are bad and I don't really understand that.

Here is the most current review of the scientific literature on the safety of sucralose in humans if you want to know. It is a metaanalysis

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28558975

The full text is available here. It covers over a hundred different studies done in humans in addition to other animal models. I haven't even read this myself but I know the literature and am confident that what it will show you is that all studies in humans have shown no indications of any issues with sucrolose.

"Collectively, critical review of the extensive database of research demonstrates that sucralose is safe for its intended use as a non-caloric sugar alternative."

You're absolutely correct. (Not that I expected anything else)
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Really? I mean I have no idea so im not gonna shut down that statement or anything but it just seems so unhealthy.

Losing or gaining weight is determined by your Calorie Deficit or Calorie Surplus. If your Calories In are greater than your Calories Out, you won't have a deficit, and won't lose weight. Something with zero calories will obviously not add to your Calories In. (It may possibly be unhealthy for other reasons, but that's a separate debate.)
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    Really? I mean I have no idea so im not gonna shut down that statement or anything but it just seems so unhealthy.

Losing or gaining weight is determined by your Calorie Deficit or Calorie Surplus. If your Calories In are greater than your Calories Out, you won't have a deficit, and won't lose weight. Something with zero calories will obviously not add to your Calories In. (It may possibly be unhealthy for other reasons, but that's a separate debate.)

I eat 1,200 calories a day I'm pretty sedentary